Belgian Cape Gun

Started by gitano, March 05, 2015, 10:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

This arrived in Anchorage today:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469275951

I'm waiting on the Anschutz Hornet to arrive - hopefully tomorrow - and I can pick them both up on Saturday.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The above link will expire at some point, so 'for the record':

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Can't wait for the range report.

Interesting caliber.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Actually, I should get to that before too long as the seller asked me to pass on the information from the range report. First time I've had a seller ask that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

When I look at that case and cartridge, I think, .44-40 ***XXL!
What a neck, makes most pore giraffes look stubby.

:MOGRIN::wings:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I am curious about the penchant to make cartridges with long necks 'back in the day'. I know bullets were often 'long', but the fact is that just preceding the cartridge era, there was no case - therefore NO neck - at all. Therefore, why would cartridge designers want long necks? I understand their ideas about tapered cases - fear of not being able to extract cases - but the long neck reasoning evades me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

As the first cases were made out of wrapped brass not drawn it was probably to do with the case making and forming/wrapping. The first .45 Martini cases were long and only very slightly tapered but too fragile for field use to the Short chamber which is what we know as the 577/450 came into being as it was sturdier in handling. Their cases were also folded brass wrapper around a mandrel.................................. at first until they devloped the drawing method.

Just a thought!
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

That sounds plausible. Wanted to "grab" the longer bullets because of the relatively rough handling they would get in military use, which WAS the defining use of "cartridges". You're probably right, BH.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Nice, deep engraving. I'd like to see more pictures. It has the nice horn trigger guard that my Collath had.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: