Yes sir!

Started by davidlt89, November 02, 2014, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

My buddy emailed me last weekend and told me that the girl that watches his kids seen a coyote chase his dog back to the house. He has also had a few sightings so he wanted to know of any of my plans included canine traps on his property.

Now this is my friend with the two ponds on his property that I trap every year. His land is a melting pot for trappers. Its where I have been getting the muskrats. I had plans on setting a few coyote and fox sets, but with the adc work, I was flat out busy!!! so I made an effort to get up there earlier this week and do one set.

Decided to do a double trap set in the road that goes around one of the ponds. I put my scent and bait holes in the middle and laced a few scent sticks in there along with coyote uring. Made sure the dog of the trap was about 9" from the scents and covered them up!!!!

Today is the opener for trapping, so everything is game. I had my fisher, marten, mink, otter, beaver, and raccoon traps with me. I stopped into the house to see if I could drive down his lawn and he was hesitant but said go ahead with all the equipment.

once I got down to the bottom of the lawn to park, my traps were in full view and low and behold, there was a nice coyote in one them. I ran back up to the house and got my buddies .17 HMR and dispatched the coyote while he watched. Heres what I got.

I will say it is much more exciting to trap them than to just shoot them!! up here at least, they are probably the toughest thing to get in a trap. we are limited to a 5 3/8" due to the lynx and it has to be perfect for them to get caught!!!! No room for error!!! does a heart good to see one in the trap!!!

after dispatching this fella I got out my fisher, marten, otter, mink sets and one raccoon and one otter/beaver set. I took my time and got some good sets in. After all the adc work, I am worn out. Going to take this month and concentrate on my friends land and have fun!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Fieldmor77

Great stuff Dave, love trapping dogs, you never know what's waiting for you when you check them, looks like you had that one by the toes!

davidlt89

Yes sir!!! had him right behind the pads, wasn't going anywhere. actually had him by the back foot also by the toe nail, but the nail came off!!! we just got a bout a foot of snow that should be gone by this weekend. I will reset then!!! there is a big blonde one after their dog!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

davidlt89

well I was going to keep this coyote for myself, but there is a better one on the wall and they are selling well right now. So I had to moisten the skin just enough to turn him fur out. they seem to be the only furbearer the buyers want fur out.

So I soaked some towels and in about 2 hours I got the skin moist enough to get it turned fur out. Got it all combed down and pinned down. Does not look to bad.

Anxious to see what he will fetch, coyotes are in demand as a trim article and have been holding some steady prices. God Bless.

recoil junky

Nice dog David!!!  Great set too.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: