Lithy 101 Range Report.

Started by 22hornet, November 04, 2014, 06:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

I had a chance to get my Lithgow 101 out to the "local" indoor range.
The rifle is fitted with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BCD Rimfire scope and some cheap CCOP QD rings.
I tried out more than a few different types of ammunition too, just to see how they go. I didn't use any "match" grade ammunition though, this is a hunting rifle.
All groups were shot at 50 metres and all are 5 shot groups.
 The "10" ring is 25mm in diameter.
The indoor range has very poor lighting making it hard to see the target if you are at the far edge of the range like I was.

The Highland 40gn HP shot very average groups.

Winchester 40gn HP Power Points looked pretty good.

I also tried Winchester 40gn HP Subsonics.

I was given some of the new Winchester 42gn HP Power Point Max to try out. I was very impressed.

Even CCI Stingers shot fairly well.

I also did a remove / reattach scope test to see if I would get a return to zero. I shot a 5 shot group with Winchester Subsonics, removed the scope, refitted it and shot another 5 shot group. I'd say it was pretty good.

I'll hit the range again and give some more ammunition a go and try to get the middle shooting lane for better lighting.
This rifle does shoot well. It feeds perfectly and cycles very smoothly. But I still can't "love" the plastic stock. There's just something about it. That said, this is a great rifle.
I'm looking forward to the .308 version when it is released.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

VERY nice!

That's good shootin'!

The Winchester PPs are certainly looking good, and the subsonics too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

Very nice groups Hornet, what's good is the fact it seems to like the stingers, always had trouble getting good groups with them in any of my 22's.
Apparently there is some fella already turning out an aftermarket timber stock for them.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Going to have to try some of those 42 grain win subs, if I can get my paws on some. Wonder if they will keep together at 100yds.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Are you going to get the .308 when it comes out?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;134936Are you going to get the .308 when it comes out?

Paul

I don't know yet. I'll wait and see what form they take on and the sticker price. I do want a .308 bolt action though. My mates Tikka is great, but again a plastic stock. I was looking at a Ruger Scout. I shot one a while back and ergonomically it was great, the forward mounted scope worked surprisingly well and I love detachable magazines. I was just the rough as guts Ruger action that turned me off. Not on a $1000+ rifle. :p
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteI was just the rough as guts Ruger action that turned me off.
I was going to warn about that if you hadn't already held one in your hands.

I REALLY like "scout" configurations, but shortly after Ruger started making them some idiot gunwriter (ptooey) of some considerable fame said the scout configuration "was the worst idea in a 100 years of gun making". Of course that was the death knell of scout configured rifles. Makes me want to hit people like that. Also, a bit tough for me to part with $1000 for a new bolt gun that isn't even 'blue'. I think those Ruger Scouts are "matte" finished aren't they? I know the "Frontiers" are, because I have one, and I think the Frontiers and the Scouts came out about the same time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

The first version sold here were stainless matt with an 18" barrel. We have only just got the 16.5" blued / flash hider version not long along. I have no interest in the 16.5" version.

It took some time to get used to the forward mounted scope but after using one you can get a really good sight picture really quickly.
 But the action felt like it had sand in it. When I went to cycle the action I paused and went to look to see what was going on. The bloke who owned the rifle just said "Nah mate, they are like that".
 It shot well, very well in fact.
 Despite that, here in Oz shooters can't get enough of the Ruger Scout. They are being bought up just as quick as they are imported.

gitano

Apparently your gunwriters (ptooey) aren't the idiots that ours are. The concept of the scout-mounted 'scope is excellent in my opinion, for the following reasons:
1) It is MUCH easier to keep both eyes open when using the scope. Keeping both eyes open greatly helps keep an eye on the target throughout the shot process.
2) No such thing as "scope eye" with a scout-mounted scope.
3) There's a better "view of the world" when 'drawing down' on a target. Therefore, it's much easier to "find" the target in the scope.

If I remember correctly, it was Saint Cooper that SERIOUSLY bad-mouthed the scout-mounted scope, and essentially sent it to its death in the US. I KNOW... It was Jeff Cooper that STARTED the interest in the US in "scout" rifles. Still, I THINK it was him that ultimately bad-mouthed it. I'm looking into finding the exact citation on who it was.

Also, apparently the Ruger "Frontier" IS a "scout" rifle. Still, I'm pretty sure they had a different model as well. Looking into that too.

Paul

I have to correct myself. The rifle I have is the Hawkeye, NOT the Frontier, which IS the "scout rifle" that Ruger made. Those two models came out at about the same time, and I always get them confused.
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Sweet Scott. I really like the Crossovers.

Awesome group with the Stingers.

Should try some Fiocchis or SKs to see the rifles true potential. It is a crossover e.g. target & hunting.

You must be happy with the results and you know what there is a dude in NSW already making wooden stocks for it so you can still lose the plastic stock if you wish. ;)
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

It looks very very good to me although the metres and MM's are confusing. I think 25 MM is essentially an inch so those are outstanding groups!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

I'm going to do a "shootout" between the Lithy and my sub $100 Norinco JW15 and see what the results are. Just for laughs. And no matter what the result I will post the targets here, maybe...

I still have no gotten on about the timber stock as yet. I'm really trying to like the plastic, I really am. I'll give it about 6 months.

gitano

QuoteI'm really trying to like the plastic, I really am. I'll give it about 6 months.

I have some rifles with plastic stocks that I like. As it is with most things, if they 'perform', I 'like' them. I suppose beauty IS only skin deep.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

For what it's worth, I believe plastic is for AR's.....all others require wood of some sort. The only exception is a Remington Nylon 66.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Besides AR stocks, I have two other plastic stocks that I "like". The first is the so-called "paddle" stock that Ruger put out something like 20 years ago.
My .338 Win Mag has that stock. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1648&d=1109814471
In addition, it is made of stainless steel. Don't care for either from an aesthetic point of view. I bought the rifle in a knee-jerk reaction to the events of a coastal brown bear hunt with what had been up to that point a rifle I called the "ultimate weapon". After the hunt I now refer to it as "the sissy gun", and I went and bought my first over-7mm caliber rifle, the Ruger .338 in stainless with plastic stock.

I couldn't refuse to buy it as the price - new in the box - was a STEAL. I looked at it and said to myself, "That thing is going to kick like a MULE!". How wrong I was. It is amazing to me how that stock absorbs recoil. That rifle is no more 'mulish' than an '06 with stiff loads. Then I shot a caribou at 287 paces. When, looking through the 'scope after the shot all I could see was four feet sticking up in the air, I fell in love with that rifle. Pert near half of all the big game animals I have taken have been taken with that rifle. I have no intentions of changing it to make it "pretty".

The second plastic stock that I love to hate is on the 8mm SLT.

It is a McMillan if I remember correctly. Midway was having a close-out sale on this stock with the Mauser inletting. Not only is it plastic, it's camo. Insult to injury. However, it was $45 on sale, normally, $160. I really needed a stock to test fire the SLT in, and 'the price was right'. I could always get the stock I wanted after I 'proved' the SLT. Uh oh. It's shooting like it's laser-guided. That's OK. It'll shoot like that with a wooden stock too. Uh oh. Deer hunt in Colorado coming up too soon to get wooden stock. I end up taking a doe mule deer with a head shot (only shot availabel) at a lasered 311 yards. I still "hate" that stock, but I make rifles to HUNT with, not shoot. If it shoots well enough for me to Hunt with it, I have a difficult time 'fixing' what ain't broke. I have learned over the years that fixing things that ain't broke usually leads to broken things.

So... I can 'tolerate' plastic stocks that perform, and I would NEVER begrudge anyone of the firearm configuration they like. I will never admire the looks of a plastic stock, but I can certainly appreciate them on a rifle that shoots very straight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: