shooting coyotes

Started by farmboy, November 02, 2014, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

I am wondering what everyone thinks of my coyote hunting ideas. I have shot hundreds of coyotes over the years and mostly with a 6 mm Remington but also with a 22 250 and 17 Remington and a 22 long rifle. A couple of weeks back I shot four with a 223 Remington I and handloads with a 55 grain core lock hollow point bullets. Anyhow three were knocked down on the spot and did not move they were shot at between one and four hundred yards. No big holes the forth one ran twenty paces and walked twentyore and dropped over dead. Exit holes were the size of a silver dollar. All chest shots. They were all relaxed and just watching me when shot. My favorite load with the 6 mm was a Sierra 60 grain hollow point loaded heavy. Basically every coyote that was chest shot with it had an exit hole the size of a small plate out of the backside of there chest.The would go down the a ton of bricks then get up and run ten yards and then fall over never to move again. The only time I ever had the total lack of movement with a coyote after being shot was a head shot with my 22 250. Now my wonder is this basically all of the coyotes I have shot over the years I have surprised and they started running when the stopped to look I shot them or shot them on the run. These four I shot a couple of weeks ago I just let them walk up to me or should I say I let the walk up to where I was sure I could make the shot. So I am wondering if everyone thinks there is a big difference is in the way they react by how much adrenaline they have flowing. I never did know how a coyote could get up and run a short distance after there heartand lungs were removed with  hollow point then these ones with far less damage just fall over dead and never move. So this is my theory that there is a huge difference due to Adrenalin  volume on there reaction to a shot.

gitano

"Lethality" and associated topics, are very 'tough' subjects, farmboy. I'll give you my thoughts, but I wouldn't argue for a minute that they were "right".

I think the "standing" shots "knocked" them down, and that the 'effect' of their chest being exploded hadn't "hit them" yet, allowing them to get up and run a short distance before the damage took its toll. Those that you hit 'on the run' were 'downed' by the effect of devastating the heart-lungs.

As I said, just my speculations.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Thank you something else for me to think about. Just have a hard time thinking that a 223 could knock them out  better than  a 6 mm with what on the the outside looks like less damage. In fact it seems to have worked better than any gun i have ever used.You may very well be right.

sakorick

The 6MM also has the advantage of a clean kill at another 100 yards. So my pic of your four rifles would be the 6MM on yotes. That said, since you have killed hundreds of them who am I to be offering advice?...sounds like you are doing just fine.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;134850The 6MM also has the advantage of a clean kill at another 100 yards. So my pic of your four rifles would be the 6MM on yotes. That said, since you have killed hundreds of them who am I to be offering advice?...sounds like you are doing just fine.

Yes I would agree that is why I wondered if I was missing something they are dead with any of them other than the 22 long rifle I did that once as a kid never again just not enough there. Maybe it was just luck they way three of the four died with the 223.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: gitano;134856You might find reading this thread - http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566&highlight=work+physics+energy - interesting, farmboy.

Paul
That was an interesting read thanks

farmboy

Today i shot two more with the 223 both neck shots one at 417 yards the other at 198 yards distance measured by a range finder. Both acted more the way i would have expected solid hits with a small amount of time until death occurred. Both animals were just standing broadside just watching me. Trying to thin the numbers down to protect the livestock on the farm.

gitano

You and rockinbbar are the coyote killers!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: