What next?

Started by Arrowstorm, February 11, 2005, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrowstorm

I might have said this before... but the first gun I bought was a $150 blackpowder Springfield Hawkens. By the way, does anyone know where I might be able to find out when this gun was made? All it says on it is "Springfield Hawkens- 50 cal- Black powder only -Spain-  1-66"- 237913" All on one side with nothing on the other. And those are all the markings on this rifle... period.

Anyway...  I have that, the Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock longrifle, Traditions Crockett percussion pistol, and now.... a Traditions model 1851 Navy colt revolver. That thing sure is a hoot!

Any suggestions on what to get next? No in-lines, though! Not too fond of that. I like the "older" feel of these sidelocks too much.  I'm thinking about getting the Traditions trapper pistol. If anyone knows where I can get a really good looking working reproduction of a late 18th century flintlock pistol, I would be much obliged and go for that above all else.

Anyway, what I really want to see is maybe some links to sites that you guys really like to shop with. I like really good looking firearms at a decent price. Thanks guys.

P.S. I finally broke with my streak of buying black powder the day after christmas and got a 30-30. This is what I call a "modern gun". Heh heh... basically anything where you don't stuff the bullet down the front is a modern gun to me. But don't fret!!!  It's a Marlin Lever Action 30-30, so the historical feel is still in this rifle. And my, what a pretty and straight shooting rifle it is!
If you and your friend are being chased through the woods by a bear, remember one thing. You don\'t have to run faster than the bear. You only have to run faster than your friend.

Jay Edward (deceased)

You've sure got me stumped.  Picking out flintlock handguns and rifles is so personal being so subjective.  Most folks are headed in a specific  direction with these types of purchases.  Myself?  I'm looking more and more towards trade guns and trade handguns of the Hudsons Bay Company.   Perhaps you should take a look at where your interests really lie?

Arrowstorm

Jay, taking a look at where my interests lie is a huge undertaking. I am a man of many many hobbies. Shooting my black powder firearms is just one of sooo many.  And besides, why would I deprive myself of the joys of the vast array of shooting possiblities out there?
If you and your friend are being chased through the woods by a bear, remember one thing. You don\'t have to run faster than the bear. You only have to run faster than your friend.

Smokepole

Arrowstorm,
I believe the next selection should be a smoothbore, either a fowler or a trade gun.  This you can use to shoot either shot or round ball.  Give clay shooting a try with one of those.  Lot's a fun.  Flying targets with a rock-lock is / can be frustrating at first, but once you catch on it drives the smokeless guys nuts.

Sincerely,
Smokepole

Jay Edward (deceased)

Ol Smokepole echos my sentiments exactly.  I don't have a good image of a double barrel flinter but I reckon I can come up with one if you desire.

Arrowstorm

I believe I'm gonna shoot for a brown bess. Any idea where I can get one at a decent price? I'm all into history, and the brown bess was pretty much the staple for the most powerful military in the world in it's day in age. For the heck of it, I sure would like to get a bayonet for it as well.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Welllll...start with Dixie Gun Works (on line) and maybe take a little side trip over to Track Of The Wolf.

Arrowstorm

Wilco. Thank you all so much. I will go in the direction of the brown bess.

Tags: