Mauser action lengths

Started by sakorick, August 25, 2011, 06:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I thought this needed it's own thread as the information is very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitano  
I cleared it yesterday.

Maybe a thread regarding the measurements on the variations on the k-98 is in order. Rick, would you care to take that on?

Paul
Sure. This borrowed some of this from other forums and the Mausers of the World 4th edition.

M98 STANDARD LENGTH ACTIONS

I am going to group different actions by length, ring diameter, and barrel shank diameter. The first group will be Type I, these are the "most standard" Mausers. Probably 75% or more of all Mausers produced after 1898 will fall into this category. I am not going to list every model, that would take a book of it's own, but if your particular model is not listed, comparing the dimensions will place it into the correct category. So here are the dimensions for

Type I:
Action OAL: 8.750
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835
Bolt body length: 6.370
Magazine length: 3.315
Recvr ring dia: 1.410 large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100 large shank

Some of the models that fall into Type I are:
Chilean M1912, Steyr
GEW 98, various mfr's
Brazilian M1908/34, Brno
VZ24, 98/22, 98/29, Brno
M1908 Brazilian, DWM
M1909 Argentine, DWM
M24/30 Venezuelan, FN
M1935 Peruvian, FN
Standard Model, Mauser Oberndorf
K98k, various mfr's

Remember that the above list is not all-inclusive, the truth is, MOST M98 Mausers fall into this category.

Type II, standard length, small ring, small shank
Recvr ring dia: 1.300 small ring
Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank

This is pretty much a Czechoslovakian design, the main members of this group are the VZ33 and the G33-40, a commercial version is the VZ47.

Type III, standard length, small ring, large shank
Recvr screws, center to center: 7,835

As you can see by comparing the receiver ring diameter and the barrel shank diameter, there is not a lot of meat left in this receiver! The main example is the Kar98, and for obvious reasons, it is not wise to rechamber these to a high pressure cartridge.

Type IV, standard length, small ring, small shank, long magazine.
Magazine length: 3.400
Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank

These are mainly commercial models, they are identical to Type II, with the exception of a longer magazine to handle 30-06 length cartridges. Main examples are the Husqvarna commercial action, and the Brno ZG47.

Type V, standard length, large ring, large shank, long magazine.
Magazine length: 3.400
Recvr ring dia: 1.410 large ring

This is a beefier version of the Type IV. It is typified by the late FN commercial actions.

M98 INTERMEDIATE LENGTH ACTIONS

This is actually a fairly small group of models, the amount of headaches these cause (when trying to find a part or stock) is way out of proportion to the number of models. Most of these will have some part of the action shortened to save weight. Starting off with Type VI:

Type VI, Oberndorf intermediate action
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.115
Receiver ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: .980, small shank

I call this the Oberndorf intermediate action, as they are the only ones who produced it. Commonly encountered models include:
1903 Turk
1909 Peruvian
1935 Argentine
Oberndorf Commercial

The 1903 Turk and the 1909 Peruvian also share some other qualities. They both have a very high clip bridge, and a long curved arm on the ejector box that puts pressure on a stripper clip loaded into the receiver, holding it in place. The 1935 Argentine and the Oberndorf commercial action do not have this.
This type has a longer than normal receiver ring, and a longer than normal cocking piece, with a shorter than normal bolt body, hard to figure where the weight savings come in!
The Oberndorf commercial action was also available in a small ring version, all other dimensions identical.

Type VII, FN24 and Yugo actions
Action OAL: 8.500
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.620
Bolt body length: 6.115
Magazine length: 3.232
Recvr ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100, large shank

This is the FN M24 action, and the Yugoslavian M48 series. I call this group the Yugoslavian intermediate action. There is also a Type VIIA, FN24 Mexican, see below.

Type VIIA, FN24 Mexican
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.232
Recvr ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100, large shank

I call the Type VIIA the Mexican large ring action. The only difference between the Type VII and VIIA is the length of the bolt body (0.050 difference).

Type VIII, small ring Mexican
Bolt body length: 6.080
Magazine length: 3.118
Recvr ring dia: 1.300, small ring

The Type VIII has the shortest bolt body in this group. Common models are the Mexican M1910, and M1936. Either one can be found manufactured by FN or Fabrica de Armas in Mexico City.

Whew! You can imagine the firing pin variations as well as extractors. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

We'll let this run a bit, then "sticky" it.

I knew you'd do the subject justice, Rick. Great job!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I wished I had all these dimensions 10 years ago because when picking a donor for a sporter project these numbers become important. If your project is going to be a 220 Swift, 243, 308 or 284 Winchester  etc. then the Yugo action is a perfect fit. For 30-'06 variants like the 25-06, 270, 280 Remington along with the Ackley versions needs the standard Type I magazine length of 3.315 especially if you are going to be shooting the heavier longer bullets. Beyond that for larger calibers, a commercial magnum version is really your only option and they are spendy. Match your project to the action before you just grab a good deal on a Mauser action. I have had several projects fail after time and valuable resources were expended. One such project started out as a 35 Whelen that ended up a 284 Winchester AI! Look before you leap.:Banghead: Regards, Rick.

Rich Cronk

Rick,
 My .257 Roberts Improved is built on a small ring Mexican Mauser  Recvr ring dia: 1.300, small ring

Is it unusual to chamber a high pressure cartridge for these Mexican Mauser's?

sakorick

Quote from: Rich Cronk;117034Rick,
 My .257 Roberts Improved is built on a small ring Mexican Mauser  Recvr ring dia: 1.300, small ring

Is it unusual to chamber a high pressure cartridge for these Mexican Mauser's?

I'm sure Paul will back me up on this......that action is fully capable of handling any SAMMI load for a .257 Roberts Improved including P loads. The gun writers have fooled the public into a fear of the small ring Mauser and it is total poppycock! I have built Ackley Improved rifles based on the 6.5X55 SM (small ring Mauser) that I would trust over modern actions. My next project is a 6.5X57Ackley on a SM action that is going to be a barn burner! Reload that Mexican to whatever you want with confidence. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

Rich Cronk

"Reload that Mexican to whatever you want with confidence."
------------------------
SI Senor! Thanks again Rick!  :D

Rich Cronk

Quote from: Rich Cronk;117041"Reload that Mexican to whatever you want with confidence."
------------------------
SI Senor! Thanks again Rick!  :D
-----------------------------------
Here is a photo of my Mexican Mauser, and a photo of a group I shot with it. This is my favorite coyote rifle.

gitano

Quote from: sakorick;117038I'm sure Paul will back me up on this......that action is fully capable of handling any SAMMI load for a .257 Roberts Improved including P loads. The gun writers have fooled the public into a fear of the small ring Mauser and it is total poppycock! I have built Ackley Improved rifles based on the 6.5X55 SM (small ring Mauser) that I would trust over modern actions. My next project is a 6.5X57Ackley on a SM action that is going to be a barn burner! Reload that Mexican to whatever you want with confidence. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

EGGZACKLY!

Nice shooting!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

By the way...

I am "locking" all "stickied" threads. By doing this, I am hoping to get people that are interested in the topic to open a new thread in the main section of the forum. It is my desire that this will increase the number of people involved in conversations.

If the thread starter wants to add to the thread, they can contact me and I will open it for them, and then reclose it after they have added the content they wish to.

Rich Cronk - Don't take this personally. This is a 'policy' I'm trying to implement across the website so that more people can get involved in more conversations.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: