Sons first bow!

Started by davidlt89, January 22, 2012, 02:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Well, my oldest boy who is 8 had managed to save himself up 200.00. He had his mind set on an i-pod touch but we were not to "thrilled" about him getting that since he had no reason but to play games. He already has a Wii and a nintendo DS so we were "discouraging" the purchase since it would probably fall to the wayside. Although, it was his money and if he wanted to buy it, we probably would of let him. As we were discussing it, I mentioned other things that he could buy, then a "bow and arrow" hit me. At first he said he was "scared" of it because he had seen the string "tag" my arm a couple times last year and the welts that had formed. Not to mention my "screaming like a little girl" did not help. I assured him that was because I had not bothered to get my bow tuned in 3 years. I assumed this since I had never had that problem in 11 years of shooting. After he thought about it, he could not wait to look at them and we found one on cabelas that seemed to be perfect for the beginning archer for 179.99. here is the bow he chose
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Bows/YouthSmall-Frame-Bows-Accessories|/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104235480/i/103968180/Genesis8482-Camo-Bow/712379.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-archery-bows-youth-small-frame-bows-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100009%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103968180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104693580%253Bcat104235480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104693580%3Bcat104235480%3Bcat103968180

looking forward to shooting with him this summer! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

klallen

i hope your son enjoys his new purchase.

bow hunting's one of those things i've never been particularly drawn to. i've considered the purchase but always end up spending disposable income on handguns and rifles. i do have friends who are rabidly addicted to bow hunting. they think me crazy for not. what can ya do.

k

davidlt89

It is fun, but I am not an avid bowhunter, I like to shoot things also!!! I started because we have a seperate season here before rifle season and they allowed buck or doe to be shot. that has not been the case the last 3 years but it will come back. Having a choice during rifle season, I always go with rifle!!!! But, they are fun to just shoot and I believe my wife may be interested also. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Vermonster

Very nice David!  Glad to see him turning away from the technology and getting something for use in the outdoors!!!  Something else you 2 can do together!

bowhunter 51

Excellent!..davidt,...
............................You may have unleashed the beginings of the next
Fred Bear...Besides, ya know how electronics are, "here today, obsolete
tomorrow".................Happy hunting to you both............................BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

The bow finally arrived today. UPS usually delivers around 7:00! 7:30 rolled around and they had not made it here yet. when my son went to bed he told me to wake him up when it got here, and not to forget, WHICH I would probably do!!! the bow arrived at 8:30 and I tried to wake him up but to no avail. He only rolled over against the wall. I guess it can wait till morning. I am impressed with this bow. it has a 15-30" draw length and need not be adjusted. Person using it just takes full draw and shoots. Looks like he is going to have some fun and I can see my bow is finally going to get some shooting done with it, like it should have!!!!! here is a real picture of the bow!!! CAMO to boot!!! God Bless.

bowhunter 51

Looks like a good'n, davidt..................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

buckshot roberts

:grin:look's like some good times ahead, who need to play games, when you can enjoy the outdoor............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Be sure to turn him loose with that thing. Most of the fun of a bow as a kid is "shootin' stuff". What can't be done with a rifle any more still can be done with a bow. Also, I would recommend that you do NOT get him a release or a sight. Let him learn to shoot 'bare bow' and he'll never need those other contraptions.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Be sure to turn him loose with that thing. Most of the fun of a bow as a kid is "shootin' stuff". What can't be done with a rifle any more still can be done with a bow. Also, I would recommend that you do NOT get him a release or a sight. Let him learn to shoot 'bare bow' and he'll never need those other contraptions.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteLet him learn to shoot 'bare bow' and he'll never need those other contraptions.
my thoughts precisely!!!!! currently getting him set up with some arrows!! he is also learning guitar right now!! I also got him out sunday and he shot about 100 .22lr rounds and had a blast! so much to do and so little time!!!

gitano

Quoteso little time!!!

Even less than you think...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: