Back out the 'house for bunnies but not in the zone

Started by kombi1976, August 24, 2011, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Those of you who read my thread in the Camp Fire forum would understand why I was not in the most focused mood when we arrived at the historic house at 9:15pm last night.
As it was the magazine for my Anschutz 1400 22lr was strangely absent and could not be found anywhere so I was single loading....a real sod of a thing to do.
There were plenty of bunnies about and I took 1 just through the gate when we arrived.
But from there my aim wasn't wonderful.
I missed a lot and those I hit at longer distance didn't die straight out, instead kicking themselves back into their holes or out of sight.
We worked our way around to the large open paddock by the river and there were 2 foxes down there.
Drew called one in simply by whistling using is lips and it came probably within 30yds but a pile of logs were in my way and I couldn't see clearly.
Unfortunately the fox sensed something and buggered off that point but at least I hadn't "educated" it by firing and missing it.
Next time we'll take proper fox whistles and see if we can't call them in that way.
Drew took over shooting duties for a little while and took one bunny but in the end I shot - and missed - most.
The tally for the evening 11 rabbits with 6 retrieved.
Shot of the night was a 60yd head shot over open ground that punched out both eyes (shown below on the far right).

Now I just need to find that rotten magazine! :huh:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: