The 16 gauge French Cape Gun

Started by gitano, October 02, 2010, 09:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Darn....I had a bunch of 16 ga paper hulls and tossed them out sometime back....must have been a senior moment.

What do you plan on hunting with that piece......nothing dangerous I hope!:jumpingsmiley: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Thanks anyway, Rick.

I just ordered a hundred from Grafs. Ballistic Products didn't have any, which surprised me. Grafs also had .303 Savage. Got a hundred of those too. I have some I made from .30-40 Krag, but these will be correctly head-stamped.

As to hunting with this "Boar Gun": I don't have any specific plans. I asked a bunch of Europeans about it, and they said the French made a bunch of these to shoot shot from the rifled barrel for "close-quarter combat" - like woodcock and brushy bunnies. It was most likely for driven boar where the left barrel was for pheasant or rabbit, and the right - with slug - was for running boar. Sounds reasonable to me.

I would shoot a moose in my yard with a slug, but I wouldn't take it out and "hunt" moose with it. If I lived where shotguns were mandatory, I would use it for deer. Finally, I would take it grouse shooting in case I ran into a black bear or moose.

It's more of a novelty I suppose. I just like "combination" guns, and especially older side-by-sides and drillings.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I really nice piece Paul. Great looking timber, slight cast in the stock, nicly presented! :biggthumpup:
A solid from the 16ga rifled barrel would stop most things in their tracks.

I'm not sure about shooting shot through the rifled barrel though. I had a mate I used to shoot with years ago who had a SXS shotgun, a Fabarm I think, it had a smooth bore and a rifled barrel. Shooting shot through the rifled barrel you couldn't hit a 4 ltr ice cream container at 15 metres!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteI'm not sure about shooting shot through the rifled barrel though.

Me either, 22hornet. I'm just repeating what I've been told the French did with these things. I will say however, that the twist rate on the rifling is pretty slow. Obviously fas enough to stabilize the slug, but still pretty slow. That might allow the shot pattern to "hit a 4-liter ice cream container at 15 yards". :) I think I'll pattern it with shot and see what shows up.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I got the paper hulls from Graf & Sons today. The Gualandi slug-and-carrier fit just a little looser than they do in the unfired plastic hulls. About the same as the fired plastic hulls - snug, but can be seated by hand. I'll load some up tomorrow if I can get to it, and see what they chronograph.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: