Range Report May 5th, 2010

Started by gitano, May 05, 2010, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

If it ever stops raining here, I'll drag out my #4's and post some targets at 100 yards. I love that peep! Pet load is 150 gr Sierra with 43.5 gr IMR 4064 = MV @ 2650'/sec. I have some 180 gr Sierras I haven't tried yet.  As I recall my Long Branch shot a five shot 1 5/8 inch group at 100 yds last time out with the 150's. I love the 303 functionality and feel......as for the looks, well they didn't win any awards.:smiley: Who cares? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

The two #4s I have, have identical rear sights EXCEPT that the peep on the Long Branch is at least half the diameter of the peep on the non-Long Branch. As I said above, the aperture on the non-Long Branch is large enough that I can see both "wings" of the front sight COMPLETELY! Might as well not have a rear sight the hole is so large.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I never had much problem with a peep as large .150" or even .250" since my eye naturally centers in the hole. I just put the bead on whatever I'm shooting at & let  fly. For close work on targets, I always used a .040" peep. My eyes are so bad now I can't shoot very well with any iron sights. ......Paul H

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Gitano,

Thats one heck of a rifle/pistol/shotgun range, neighbor.

And I see its right next to an airport. That makes it handy. You need one of those little "ultra-lites" so you won't have to fight traffic. I can see you in my "minds-eye" right now....LOL.:wings: :jumpingsmiley:

Ol' John...:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Brithunter

Hey John so can a straffing run on the way in  :MOGRIN: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Unlike Kevin, I am totally sold on the No4...why? Because of the peep sight and the peep sight and mostly I like the peep sight. I can't shoot the 03 very good anymore and the same with the Mosins, Mausers and earlier Enfields. I especially like the peep on the type 99 as it mounts down on the barrel.....the best of the best so far as war rifles go. And if you want to shoot an enemy aircraft down, it has the folding AA arms!:biggthumpup:  The 03A3 ain't no slouch either,,,,,so easy to zero. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

That's the beach past the range. That way any rounds that leave the range go into the ocean. I like the #4 too because of the peep sight but I like my 1917 better!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Don't get me wrong, I like peeps. However, the apertures on the two I have are vastly different, and the one with the "big hole" is much more difficult to get a consistent sight picture in.

It is a nice range, John. If you're not a member, it costs $10 to shoot all day (1000 to 1700), and that includes a target stand. You have to supply your own targets. If you are an "Exclusive Park Member" you can use the range from 0700 to 2200 7-days-a-week. You have to provide your own target stands and targets of course.

Each of the separate ranges are self-regulated, meaning that the people using that particular range determine when the range is 'live' and when you can go down-range to check targets. The rules governing range use and etiquette are posted at each range, and for the most part, social pressure keeps everyone 'honest'. There are berms about 10' high that flank each range, and that keeps each range a safety entity unto itself. Each rifle range has permanent markers at 25 yd increments. On the 100 meter range the markers are at 25 meters on one berm and 25 yd on the other.

What you can't see in the photo because they are covered, are the benches. I don't recall how many lanes there are at each rifle range, but there are at least 10, maybe 12. The benches are substantial and of course ambidextrous.

Overall, it's a good place to shoot. The two "things" I don't like about it are: 1) Driving 26 miles one way, and 2) crowds. BH has put the driving in perspective, but it can get crowded on weekends in the Spring and just before hunting season in August.

The "best" would still be a 100 yd indoor range on my property... :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Gitano,

Now I can probably get you detailed drawings on a pukker tunnel range as I was shown them for a twin tunnel arangement last Sunday. The range owners are considering extending to add 40 lanes at 50 metres to the side of the existing 75M range with the twin tubes built into the 11.2M high backstop for these new 50m lanes :biggthumpup: . The tubes are 5 feet in diamater pre-cast concrete and are of such a length they weigh 5 1/2 tones each :eek: . The tubes will have a backstop of suffcient depth and strength to handle .50 API ammunition as there is an outfit who wish to use it to test such ammunition.

As for distance to ranges well when I lived down south it was a 70 mile round trip to Bisley or the Ash military range complex so that has not changed much :shy: .

Oh as far as I am aware the size for the battle peep is 0.200" the hole size of the raised ladder part is around 0.102". I just measured a new No5 BSA made rear sight. These are only calibrated to 800 yards but as I say it's a brand new milled sight and just sitting in my drawer..
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: