The Hunter's Life

The Hunter's Life (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//index.php)
-   ELK HUNTING (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Would You Take This Shot????? (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=2755)

LLANOJOHN 04-20-2005 03:54 PM

Would You Take This Shot?????

1 Attachment(s)
Back in '89 I worked one summer at a guest ranch near Jackson, Wyoming. This picture was made the day I left to head back to Texas. Range by guesstimation was about 400 yards. Pic was done at Antelope Flats north of Jackson and east of the Grand Tetons! Someday I hope to have a shot with a rifle instead of the camera.

Ol' John

rockinbbar 04-20-2005 05:14 PM

Re: Would You Take This Shot?????

I'd try & get closer before I took a 400 yard shot.
I feel comforfotable putting one in it's neck at 300...but 400 yards, it would have to be a shot slightly behind the shoulder in the right spot. The .308 I use has lost a lot of it's "go juice" at 400....

Jackson Hole is beautiful John. I guided for a season there on the Red Rock Ranch when I was young & invincible...:D

Rockin'

Daryl (deceased) 04-20-2005 05:35 PM

That bull's not all that big by Arizona standards, and doesn't impress me all that much so I think I'd keep hunting. The meat would taste good though...

I've shot a lot of coyotes farther than that. :D

Daryl

Hunterbug 04-20-2005 07:08 PM

400, probably not. That's just farther than I care to shoot and I shoot a 338. Get that number close to 300 and that's a dead elk.

m gardner 04-21-2005 04:58 PM

I'd wait until he turned broadside or slightly away and shoot him. Fourhundred yards and no wind isn't too bad if you practice. God bless and good hunting.

sniper1 04-22-2005 03:33 PM

Yes Sir, depending on the circumstances. If it was late in the hunt and using handloads in my .338, I wouldnt hesitate. He's in the open and would be in sight when he fell. This is only me, I know what shots I can and cant pull off, each person/equipment situation is different. I shot a Moose in Canada on a right of away a little over 400 yards with the same rig and careful aim. Just be sure you know your gun and where to put the cross hairs at this distance.

Take care.
Sniper1

yotecurhunter 04-22-2005 07:16 PM

Opening day, NO! Thats a "raghorn" at best. If it was late in the season, I think I could take him down.

Big Red Trike 04-24-2005 04:59 PM

My 7MM oh yeah....me.......I have never had to shoot that far....so I would pass........

BRT

yotecurhunter 04-28-2005 08:28 PM

Us wyoming boys are used to shooting far at elk.

Big Red Trike 04-28-2005 08:52 PM

I never said "I couldn't" I said "I've never had to". LOL

Lee