The Hunter's Life

The Hunter's Life (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//index.php)
-   FIREARMS & OPTICS (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   First Steps toward the '400 (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=13844)

TackyDriver 07-30-2009 06:02 PM

Re: First Steps toward the '400

Good luck on that Kombi. I'm sorry you're getting attitude from Ruger, I just hope it's not the importer saying that it's Ruger's fault. No firearms manufacturer can afford to say that ANY customer is not important. At least you found out that your wife is a princess grown into a queen. Pretend that you don't need the No. 1 and it'll probably show up sooner. That's what I do when I can't find the screwdriver that I just put down and now need again while working in my shop.

gitano 07-30-2009 06:41 PM

I'm going to keep this thread handy for the next time I get a 'ration' for complaining about a business "doing business".

I seriously doubt ANYBODY said ANYTHING like "Your not important". What they likely said was: "We have a market that is sucking up ALL our supply. This market is close and margins are high (good business). We'll supply the smaller markets when we can." Welcome to the world of living "at the end of the road".

That said, I happen to think it is 'bad business' to stiff someone that already has an order in. In my opinion, orders should be filled in the order in which they are received. (Odd... but no major manufacturers ever seem to call me up and ask for my sage advice before they make their marketing/sales decisions.) HOWEVER, you placed this order WAY, WAY AFTER the feeding frenzy started in the US.

The most parsimonious explanation is that the 'fault' lies with the importer "selling" something they didn't have, rather than the manufacturer not filling orders already placed.

Paul

kombi1976 07-30-2009 10:26 PM

As usual, Paul, thanks for making me feel better in a difficult situation......... :rolleyes:
There are plenty of people who ordered their No1s over a year back and are on the same order as mine because RUGER HASN'T FILLED IT YET.
This isn't about when and how orders were made, this has got to do with Ruger's attitude to the whole thing.
As for the "end of the world" crack, US gun manufacturers bought out and closed down all of the gun companies in Oz during the 50s and 60s and then undercut anyone who tried to set up new local ones.
So I don't get a choice in living at the end of the road.
And I'm sure as heck not moving to New Hampshire, right next door to the factory, just to make sure my Ruger turns up sooner.
And the comment about selling something they don't have is just unrealistic.
With the current economic climate no one should be expected to stock things they won't necessarily shift.
I think the importer should be able to depend on some regularity and reliability from Ruger.
Afterall, they would've tendered for the licence in the first place and I'm dead certain Ruger has expectations of them in the contract.
On the otherhand if you think it's fair and reasonable to expect customers to wait up to 14 months for a standard production model perhaps you're posting on the wrong thread.

gitano 07-31-2009 12:27 AM

Seems you're always looking for a fight, kombi.

Let me quote:

Quote:

I happen to think it is 'bad business' to stiff someone that already has an order in. In my opinion, orders should be filled in the order in which they are received.

I even put it bold so it would stand out. So much for using a 2-by-4. Which, since you can't seem to understand, means - I agree with you.

Second, the "crack" about the "end of the road" started with - and I quote - "Welcome". Which to those that weren't looking for a fight would realize is comisseration. I, living in Alaska, also live "at the end of the road". So much for sympathy.

I could go on about your misinterpretations due to the chip on your shoulder the size of Kansas, but this is, as usual, tedious.

Good thing I wasn't actually trying to **** you off.

Paul

kombi1976 07-31-2009 03:46 AM

Sorry, Paul, but it was a little open to misunderstanding.
And I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder about Ruger.
To be blunt everything has gone bottom up recently.....the car died, the DVD died, hassles at work and outside it and to top it off I'm pretty crook this week - completely off my food and no sign of a solution yet.
So maybe I was looking for a fight this time - I don't know.
Though I did agree with you in the "That's why they call it hunting" thread.
Anyhow, let's call a truce and I'll try not to be argumentative.
My missus says I can be grumpy and that I'm a 36 yr old going on 65. :oops:

22hornet 08-01-2009 02:35 AM

I suppose either way if you want the Ruger you are just going to have to wait. Might be time to re-think on the custom martini......
The wait will be just as long but you won't be at the mercy of the importer!

kombi1976 08-01-2009 03:26 AM

I will wait.
As much as the custom Martini is tempting it will wait whereas if my luck continues the way it has Ruger will discontinue the model as soon as I withdraw my order.
Anyway, with the Ruger I get a factory warranty.

gitano 08-05-2009 09:55 AM

You might wanna have a look at this. They could be trimmed to length.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=142102

Paul

kombi1976 08-05-2009 10:51 AM

Thanks, Paul.
Super tempting for sure.
I'm betting Midway wouldn't send it to Oz though. :(
The other issue with that brass is that the 450/400 NE 3" has a thicker rim as well as a shorter neck.
That's why their selling it off cheap.
But 3" cases aren't marked down much.
Between the new Ruger and a significant number of doubles now coming out of England and Europe the 450/400 NE 3" is making a comeback!
Fine with me.
We may even see some 300gr bullets like the ones made for 3" way back when.
A nice .410" cal 300gr spitzer would be even better!

Jorge in Oz 08-05-2009 06:15 PM

Have you noticed how all the second hand Ruger No1's have suddenly gone from the $900 to $1300 range to over $1400+. They are all aware they can't get the new ones in. Seen some second hands for $1500. It's not looking good for us here Down Under. We get jipped every time when it comes to firearms.