The Hunter's Life

The Hunter's Life (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//index.php)
-   FIREARMS & OPTICS (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   7mm-08 or .30-06 for Deer (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=5589)

kombi1976 02-07-2009 08:15 AM

Re: 7mm-08 or .30-06 for Deer

I reckon more game has been shot in Oz with .243s and 303s than anything else too.
Well, actually, .22lr has probably accounted for more stuff in reality.
I can see that a BAR with the quick follow-ups would place you at a better advantage, but can you guarantee it won't jam?
I wouldn't know......I've never owned or used a BAR.
I would however like to know who makes a 195gr 7mm bullet.
As far as I'm aware 175gr is about the heaviest you'll find.
The thing about dangerous game is putting the heaviest, more well constructed bullet you possibly can into them and breaking bone.
It immobilises them and, if it's a head shot, kills them outright.
I can't think of any company in the world that designs controlled expansion bullets for .243 with dangerous game in mind.
Even Roy Weatherby, who believed in speed at all costs, didn't hunt big stuff with anything less than a 257 Mag and THAT, IMO, is well under requirements.

Steve D 02-07-2009 08:36 AM

Well, this has taken an interesting turn. Down here in Missouri, where the most dangerous thing I'm likely to run into would be those famous sabertooth squirrels, I would not be concerned about using a 223 with some good bullets (Barnes non-varmint, Nosler Partition, Sierra 70 gr Semi-Spitz) for deer. Now, if I thought I might face an angry brownie, I wouldn't feel overgunned with a 20mm, but that's just me. (Of course, the recoil would be unmanageable and I couldn't shoot it adequately.)

I think the point here is the same one made before, caliber doesn't make up for poor shot placement and sometimes a lesser caliber that promotes shot placement is a good thing. Now, for the 7-08, it is not better (or even quite as good) as the 7x57 (handloaded to its full potential, unlike factory ammunition), but it is almost as good and in a slightly shorter (lighter?) action. Don't sell your 7x57's, but the 7-08 is respectable within its limitations.

6.5? I haven't seen the 260 produce the same kind of energy one would wish for in those loooooong bullets. For real efficiency in the 6.5, I'm gonna have to have at least 55mm, and preferably 06 length to get the most out of it.

gitano 02-07-2009 04:00 PM

I take your point glen1, and appreciate that you didn't get your back up about this. I think you and I (and 'most everyone else in this thread) agree in principle. Namely "it's" ALL about shot placement. Bullet design is quite a bit further down the "priority pole", but... caliber is not. ;)

Welcome aboard.

Paul

glen1 02-07-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 89736)
Which only goes to show that you don't understand how an arrow kills, either. Comparing the lethal affects of a rifle cartridge to a bow isn't a good comparison at all.

Elephants have been taken with a bow, too. Want to try that one with a .243?

I don't underestimate the .243. I've owned and have used various .243's, and have never been without one in the gun collection since 1976. I even shot out the barrel on one of those rifles after several thousand rounds were put through it.

But, the big bears are no joke, and anyone who'd want to face a charging, 1000+ lb (perhaps 1500 lbs?) critter with teeth and claws, that's intent on killing you, is a brave soul. Anyone willing to try that with a .243, IMO, may have a death wish about to come true. Those critters have zero respect for the life of another.

You say it can be done? I agree, but I wouldn't rest my life on being that lucky.

The .243 is a nice little cartridge, and I've enjoyed shooting it for many years. It's not a good large critter gun though. In the hands of a well disciplined, experienced hunter it CAN take elk, even if it's pretty light for that. I've an uncle who's shot a few elk with it, and it's done well for him. I also know that the same uncle once shot 3 out of four legs out from under a small bull elk once with a 7mm rem mag after the first shot (due to bad angle) glanced off of a shoulder blade. It was laying down on the first shot, and running through some jack-pines after that, and was a little harder to hit.

Which brings us back to real life; things don't always work out as planned when hunting. People make mistakes, and shots can go astray of where the shooter intended. In a perfect world, we could all hunt with a .22 LR for everything (because, after all, I've seen 1500 lb critters dropped in their tracks from a single .22 LR shot between the eyes).

You're right about one thing though; according to my loading book, I can push a 70 grain bullet at about 3600 fps using a compressed load of IMR4350. It's a fairly accurate load from my rifle, too. With that in mind, an 80 grain bullet at 3400 fps doesn't sound unreasonable. I usually hunt with a 100 grain bullet pushed to a pretty decent velocity, but my load is above book max so I won't post it here.

Even at that, I usually opt for my 7mm rem mag for big game hunting. It hits hard, and somehow I doubt that I'd get more animals with my .243. I haven't lost one with the 7mm mag in the 20 years I've been using it. ;)

Daryl

thank you for your open mind ,it could be done ,i no how a bow works ,and have many guns in big cal an in small cal an have done a lot of hunting ,most of my hunting is done with a kinfe and dogs ,catching wild boar in thick bush ,them things can kill you to if ya get a tusk in wrong place ,they kill many dogs evey year , geting back to the post , 308 or 30-06 for deer , both are good and work fine ,but there are a lot of fine deer cals around what ever you like to shot no one can tell you 30-06 is better or 308 is better cus what works for sum duznt for others

Daryl (deceased) 02-07-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

cus what works for sum duznt for others
Exactly.

Daryl

sakorick 02-08-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glen1 (Post 89761)
thank you for your open mind ,it could be done ,i no how a bow works ,and have many guns in big cal an in small cal an have done a lot of hunting ,most of my hunting is done with a kinfe and dogs ,catching wild boar in thick bush ,them things can kill you to if ya get a tusk in wrong place ,they kill many dogs evey year , geting back to the post , 308 or 30-06 for deer , both are good and work fine ,but there are a lot of fine deer cals around what ever you like to shot no one can tell you 30-06 is better or 308 is better cus what works for sum duznt for others

Bingo. I keep an open ear though as recoil gets to be an issue when you get older. Thanks to Paul, I have a 375H&H load I can handle that would make a serious deer killer.....I just can't bring myself to trying it out.:D Regards, Rick.