PDA

View Full Version : Should I Bait for yotes?

huntallday
11-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I have been calling now for about a year with a rabbit in distress call and used some tapes too. I havent had any success. Well, one time we saw eyes but I have still had no confirmed yotes.

I hunt at night so thats why I wondered about baiting. If anyone has any experience with baiting for yotes some tips would help, lol.

Gmoney
11-29-2004, 09:07 AM
What part of the country are you in? I have not had a lot of success calling in yotes at night....they move around too much and its hard to shoot a moving target at night.... try calling in the early mornings and right before dusk.... these times of the day have worked for me....

huntallday
11-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes it is very hard to shoot at a moving target at night.

We are located in Central Texas and we have a ton of cottantail rabbits. I just cant see why the call isn't working.

Gmoney
12-01-2004, 09:09 AM
I am in cen-tex as well...I am in Mason County as well....let me know where you are and what types of vegetation and cover you have and we'll talk strategy.... G

huntallday
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Hood County. About 1 hr south of Ft Worth. We have a lot of coastal fields, like hay land. Some pretty heavy timber and hills. The field I hunt is an old field we used to get bailes out of but stopped doing that and started buying instead.

redrover
12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
I tried baiting last spring at the very end of our season on March. I had a roadkill I tied up into a tree. We let it sit a few days and hunted it in the evening after work. Our first night there by partner had about a 200 yard shot and missed. I couldn't see the coyote till he pointed it out . His shot was pretty close though, just a little high.
two nights later I went back and had about a 125 yard shot with no moon and no stars. he was going toward the bait in a start-stop fashion. My shot was when he started moving again then I took four more whle he ran faster and faster.
After that they quit hitting the bait (I don't know why LOL).
After a couple of weeks I took the bait down from the tree and came back the next day. the bait was taken that night and totally eaten.

I am going to try meat scraps from the grocery store this winter as I will be able to get them by the box as often as I like that way I can keep feeding them.

It is the in-the-dark-shooting that is the challenge though. Depth perception is tough at night; even with a full moon and our gun range closes at dark so practicing is tough too.

Good luck,
Redrover

Gmoney
12-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Well, it is still a little warm to call in Texas right now...they aren't responding to a call very well

huntallday
12-24-2004, 05:56 PM
They are responding quite well now. It just finished snowing and hasn't been above freezing for three days.