PDA

View Full Version : Doing a little trappin'...

Daryl (deceased)
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
A few days ago I was here on the 'puter when I heard something moving in by the washing machine...

It seems I have a ground squirrel (at least one) that's dug his way under my house and finally found his way inside..

Last time something happened like this I used a small snare. This time, however, this little critter is pushing the snare aside and has thus far avoided it. I started to go in to Wally World for a couple of big rat traps, but then I remembered...

There are a few old conibear traps (body grip traps) out hanging in the garage. *light bulb comes on in Az's head*

One was just right, with about 4 1/2 inch jaws.

The next time this chewing, destructive little critter sticks his nose in my house, he's history!

Daryl

Marlin917VS
11-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Good luck getting him. At first when I read it I didn't notice the word ground before the word squirrel (ground squirrel). I was thinking how the the heck can a squirrel dig into someones house. Im used to the tree squirrels where I live and I dont think they have very vast digging abilities. I read it a second time and it made a lot more sense. My dad was telling me a story. We had a mouse in our house before i was even alive, and my dad had a couple of those 22 shotgun shell things. He put it in our 22 revolver and got the mouse. Left a few small dents in our washing machine but he said it was fun. Later

Daryl (deceased)
11-18-2004, 05:57 PM
.22 shot loads? Hmm...I have a few of those.

Daryl

rockinbbar
11-18-2004, 08:42 PM
I think you need the contraption the Gitano posted in the Black Powder forum...LOL.
Might wake you up at night tho....

If your dogs didn't like to eat cats like M&M's you could use the natural method..LOL

Man, aren't I full of interesting suggestions tonite? :)

Rockin'

RatherBHuntin
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
My Papa had the same solution Marlin's dad did, unfortunatley it was significantly more than a .22 shotshell. I still remember the holes in the ceiling and Granny's disapproving scowl everytime the story was told. I got the impression some "whitelightning" was involved.

Daryl (deceased)
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Rockin',

I guess I could just let the dogs in the house. They'd most likely get the squirrel, but they'd also wreck the house! LOL

Not sure which would be worse; the cat or the squirrel in here...'specially if the dogs found out it was in here! LOL

Oh well, traps work 24/7 without much mess. I also got 'hold of a havahart trap tonight that I'll set tomorrow.

His days are numbered and few around my house.

Daryl

Daryl (deceased)
11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Update:

At 6:55 AM the trap went off while I was here on the 'puter. One ground squirrel bit the dust!

Now to re-set the trap and see if there's more than one!

:D

Those old trappin' skills and equipment sometimes come in handy!

Daryl

huntallday
11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
LOL, nice job Az.