PDA

View Full Version : RU Hunting Deer this year?

Hiker
07-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Did any of you hit on your deer tag this year? Where?

My bride & I hit on Colorado 3rd season Buck Tags. Rifle

I was blessed with a Wyoming Buck Tag. Bow/Rifle

I applied for Kansas & North Dakota but was unsuccessful.

Hiker

m gardner
07-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Yup, I drew Utah and Colorado. I'll also hunt Vermont and the Adirondacks in New York where I grew up. I've got 2 months to hunt this year. Praise the Lord! God bless and good hunting.

Mark

Hiker
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Mark,

Congratulations! Utah is suppose to have some Monsters. I'm starting to apply for some points there, so I can, Lord willing, hunt there someday.

Hiker

m gardner
07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Hiker, You can find some monsters in the general hunt areas and hunt with no points. Just like in Colorado. Alot of the premium areas only offer the opportunity for an uncrowded hunt. Some of the more rugged parts of the southeast area of Utah aren't hunted hard because they are hard to hunt. I scout to find the 'tells' left by other hunters. No pop cans, sandwich wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. mean no one hunts it. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

Hiker
07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Mark,
That's a smart way to scout. I'm trying to study Utahs' Hunting Booklet and figure out the hunting. I like to hunt rugged country and would be interested in learning more about SE Utah and Utah in general. Do you Elk hunt in Utah?

Jeff

m gardner
07-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Hiker, I also go to places I'd like to hunt to see what actually happens during the season. Utah general elk season is not one I think I'd ever be tempted to hunt. It's crowded and there are fewer animals than Colorado. The trophy hunts are a different story if you don't mind waiting to draw. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

Hiker
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Mark, Thanks for the info. I would like to try a nice draw area for a Big Bull some year in Utah. Some of those Utah hunts on TV has some monsters!

I was looking at SE Utah, Maps. I didn't see a lot of public land. Is it very difficult finding good Deer ground in SE Utah?

Jeff

Hunterbug
07-19-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm hunting with an archery buck tag this year. I now have 2 points and I'll build up a few more before going for a good tag in a choice unit. I'm not overly concerned if I get a deer this year. I'll get an elk and that's plenty of meat for me and my family.

Daryl (deceased)
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I won't be hunting deer this year. Just checked the web site and I was turned down for elk, deer, and bighorn sheep.

On the other hand, I did draw an Arizona buck antelope tag for the first time in my life. That'll make up for the other disappointments....

and who knows, maybe I'll head up to Colorado to hunt elk with an over the counter tag.

Daryl

Hiker
07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Congradulations on the the Pronghorn tag. Arizona has a lot of B&C goatalopes. Are you going to rifle or bow hunt?
Jeff

Vermonster
07-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Bow season starts first weekend in Sept, then rifle in Oct.... http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

MGardner...... Vermont???? I go every year to hunt with my Dad but may not be able to go this year.... http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif

m gardner
07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Vermonster, I used to live in Beninington. My folks live just acroos the border in Hoosick Falls. From what I here the hunting's not very good. Last year they took very few bucks. It'll be a good time to family and friends. I'll stop in York Nebraska to go on a job interview on the way back. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

Vermonster
07-26-2005, 12:39 AM
MG,

I am from Swanton. My parents still live there. This year will be the first year of a trial antler restriction in the county I hunt and 3 others. This will be the first time I cannot shoot spikes..... http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif Gotta have at least a fork.

God Bless you and your family also and great hunting!!!!!!!http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

WHITETAIL HUNTER
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
MG,

I am from Swanton. My parents still live there. This year will be the first year of a trial antler restriction in the county I hunt and 3 others. This will be the first time I cannot shoot spikes..... http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif Gotta have at least a fork.

God Bless you and your family also and great hunting!!!!!!!http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Vermontster,

The rule you are talking about up here accounts for the whole state, but the area's I smoke pole in are shut down for Doe's, God help the racked Buck's, no chance of making by. Addison County resident(Vt).:eek:

m gardner
07-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Whitetail Hunter, Vermont has been trying to recover it's deer herd since the early 1970's when about half the herd starved to death during bad winters. Or maybe some disease? I remember. The stench in the springtime was terrible! So far nothing's worked. I don't suspect the spike rule will help either, but they need to try something. I think it's called shooting in the dark. If you get depressed come west to hunt. Mule deer are plentiful and large in Colorado at this time. The areas 41, 42, 421, 31, 32 are fairly easy to draw and hold some nice bucks. God bless and good hunting.
Mark

Vermonster
07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Whitetail.... I hunt mainly in the Islands.. Alburg to be exact.... Thinking about moving back to Vermont if I can convince my wife. Would have to be the Burlington/Williston area.

M Gardner.... I saw more deer than I ever had about 4 or 5 years ago. The herd was very strong, rebounding to record numbers, along with record deer kills. Then we had 2 bad winters in a row. This last year's Buck kill was one of the worst. However, I still saw 15 or so deer in my 5 days of hunting. Not too bad for there.

Hunting is still hunting...... http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

m gardner
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Vermonster, It sure is good just to be able to hunt. I like the Stratton area. Pretty rugged but always has deer. Usually see a few bucks per season and shoot one. Very few hunters which is nice. To understand just how good it was in the 1960's talk to some older guys who hunted then. It was heaven. I was 14 and saw nearly 100 deer some days. Twenty or 30 on the slow days. I like it here in the southwest, but I'll visit Vermont and New York. Lots of game and sunshine and easy winters. Good for my general health. And when I'm happy everybody's happy. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

WHITETAIL HUNTER
07-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Vermonster,

Give hollar when your up, some good hunting in Chittenden County. Last year for insyance only sat 15 minutes into the season, and filled my rifle tag, on my way in jumped up 5, only a 30 minute walk to my sit. Never hunted Alburg, have Hunted Johnson, Addison County (all over), but never had trouble finding the game I seek at the time.
I do have to agree with F/G though, they are right. Too many yearling bucks killed, personally never killed a spike. Unicorn 2 point, a bunch of three's, and a heavy(150) five, but they all were yearling's too. I think their mistake was the doe permit's, and now they have realized alittle, don't get me wrong I will apply for a permit, but it's the amount of permit's they were issuing. The amount of deer one man could take that hurt the herd the worst. I never took part in that aspect, if I wanted more vesion I went to other states.:rolleyes:

Rick
08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I'll be hunting Unit 15 in Colorado for mule deer this year. It will be the first time I've hunted that state. I've been advised to buy an elk tag, too - over the counter, I guess.

Hiker
08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Rick, I spent a lot of years hunting 36, just south of you and I have a good friend who hunts by State Bridge, good area!
Good hunting,
Jeff

BuckBox Displays
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Speaking of pronghorns, does anyone know of a good outfitter??? I'd like to give it a shot!

Willywonka
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
yeah I hit early season on a blacktail button buck. good stuff here in washington. ohh by the way I missed a 3x3 earlier in the season... easy rifle or bow range I just misjudged due to the cliff he was walking along below me lol.

buckshot roberts
10-19-2005, 09:06 AM
;) I got 23 day's until gun season opens, been scout'n alot, got me 5 area's to hunt in, no does, in this zone just buck's.

Willywonka
10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Rifle hunting in the areas I hunt in is buck only but I hunt with my bows so it makes it a lot easier since we can take any deer. Shoot if I was hunting rifle my father and I could have popped these two huge bucks we saw walking along a ridgeline 200-250 yards up from us.

Highstand
10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
mgardner, Do you live in NY?

Highstand

HARRY SACZ
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I have both a buck and doe tag, deer gun season starts next Friday.

Quick Draw
10-31-2005, 01:44 AM
I am/was hunting this year. My dad and I were drawn for a partnership in Eastern Washington. The hunt was great, it was either *** with the bucks having to be a 3 point minimum. Opening day we shot a 4 point mule deer and the following day we got a doe.
It was a short but sweet season.
Quick Draw

Hiker
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I hunted hard for deer this year but didn't get a shot at any shooters, so I came home without a buck both in WY & CO. I really enjoyed deer hunting this year and love to hunt with friends and see God's creation. Eventhough I came home empty I had some of my hunting buddies that connected on some really nice muleys. I'll try to post some photos.
Jeff