PDA

View Full Version : what do you take with you

neo76201
03-30-2005, 12:46 AM
what do all of you take with you into the field? what do you leave behind at the truck that you consider necessary but dont want to carry? i went on my first mule deer hunt last year since moving here about 5 years ago and i took my camel back (3 liter hydration system) extra ammo, small first aid kit, survival kit, sompact binos, gps, rifle (ofcourse), crakers and other snack food for when i get hungry. oh yeah and duh a knife.

ss86

p.s. any suggestion on what else i might need i feel like i have the bases preety well covered.

Daryl (deceased)
03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Well, I take a horse and associated tack, a rifle full of ammo, a knife, food, small diameter rope. fire starter, high energy snacks, canteen of water, bino's, and a couple of zip-lock bags for the heart and liver.

Daryl

RatherBHuntin
03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Gloves, and if I need to wear some, then an extra pair. A pen, just in case you need to write somethng down, if nothing else to fill out your tag. A camera. Lots of folks swear by a map, electronics break and batteries die, a map for backup is pretty safe. Knife on my belt and an extra knife in my pack. In addition to stuff already mentioned.

MrRee
03-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I take along some YOUNG guys !! strong backs to do all the lugging and weak minds to do all the dumb stuff I tell them too! )p

a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide is great to have if one runs a litte after the shot.

rednkwmn
03-30-2005, 07:08 PM
I take along some YOUNG guys !! strong backs to do all the lugging and weak minds to do all the dumb stuff I tell them too! )p
(and when my dad can't find any young guys to help him drag his deer out of the woods, he calls on his faithful daughter to come help him! What you really need to ask him about is the three-legged deer he shot in the "handicapped deer crossing"! It was a buck, but the horns were so smashed up, he had to tag it with a doe tag!) ;)

Being a female, I ALWAYS have to carry a little bit of toilet paper with me, but I suppose you men don't have to worry about that! Some wet wipes or a towel might be nice to have too so you can wipe the blood off your hands, knife, etc. afterwards.

m gardner
03-30-2005, 08:12 PM
When I go hunting here in Colorado I usually stash some water beforehand so I don't have to carry it all day long. It's the heaviest part of the load. I carry 1 liter of water (refill during the day, I usually drink 3 liters per day), freeze dried food, butterfly stove ( can provide heat as well as cook), 5x7 space blanket, extra Thorlo socks, moleskin, wetwipes, knife, file ( usually on my hip as a Leatherman), kevlar gloves, masons line( very strong and light), lenspen, headlamp, extra glasses, nasty horrible disgusting protein high energy survival bars ( never eaten unless it's really an emergency so they are always there ), high dollar binoculars, 10 extra cartrdges, spoon, my old issued canteen cup, coffee, cocoa, candybars, meat bags, maps, compass, deer calls, a little engineers tape, down jacket in stuffsack ( in case I stay overnight), Coughlans waterproof matches, Otis cleaning kit( it's not good to suck the snow or mud out of your barrel), any medication you regularly take (3 day supply), lip balm, sunscreen. That's all I can remember cause I'm at work and don't have my pack here. I keep it loaded year round so I can go boondocking at a moments notice. Old habit I guess. God blees and good hunting.

Big Red Trike
03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Rifle, ammo, licenses, FRS, GPS, Cell Phone, trike in back of truck until noon(then I can drive it, acts as my horse). High energy food, water. Knife, clothing, bino's. All pretty light weight stuff. Oh don't for get the Polypropolene Under wear to keep the sweat off your body. and a layer of fleece over that...best way to keep dry and from getting chills.

Year before last got drawn for Mule deer hunt in the Big Muddy in Saskatchewan. On November 1, 2003 we got 14 inches of snow. Hunt started Nov 2 w/12 inches more and 6 more inches each day for next 2 days hence. On Nov 2, I left my truck at 7:30 am w/a buddy. We walked 3 miles in to the S, 2 miles W and 3.5 miles NW every step was mid thigh not including badger holes, etc.
At 1:30 pm We had opportunity to both kill 210 class non typs. But as we settled on our rests to shoot he asked me "man its taken us 5 hrs to get here, no roads to get out, snow too deep for snowmobile and 40 coyotes between us and the nearest road".

We passed up on the shots both Leica'd at 162 yds and 169 yds. We just wanted to get out alive.

Regards.

Willywonka
04-01-2005, 03:16 PM
wow you people really pack I usually only take myself some my bow and my sidearm........9mm mag with 15 147 gr. blunt nose rounds. just in case of cougar or bear attack. Never had this happen yet but its always good to prepare. other than that some water and some energy bars.

Kanibal
04-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Isnt it illegal to pack a firearm with you in the State of Washington during archery season? A person could easily shoot a deer with a pistol and stick an arrow in the bullet hole. Im pretty sure your not allowed ro pack a gun.

m gardner
04-01-2005, 05:58 PM
In addition to my previous post list I checked and found I have some mechanics wire and my blackout sidesheids for my glasses for intense light conditions at high altitude. God bless and good hunting.

Willywonka
05-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Kanibal your allowed to carry a firearm as long as its not used for shooting your targeted animal or for the finishing shot unless its a bear or cougar. A couple years ago they passed a law stating archery hunters can carry a rifle for hunting cougar or bear. The only time I would ever shoot my pistol while hunting is if being attacked and thats it. And yes my pistol meets all the requirements for the modern firearm regulations it has a 4 inch barrel and no electronic sight or a scope just a pistol with a clip and some open sights.

billythekidrock
05-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I belive it is still illegal to carry any firearm while archery hunting during an elk or deer archery season in Washington state. You may carry any and all weapons when hunting bear or cougar as long as it is not during an archery season. If seasons overlap and you are hunting with an archery tag, you may not have a firearm in your possession.
This info was given to me by a Federal Marshall on the OP.

Willywonka
05-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Billy I must call b.s. on that because it clearly states online on the wdfw website that we may carry firearms!! So your official you supposedly were talking to either wasn't up to date on the rules or your lying. My father and I have never done anything illegal while hunting not ever. My father has been hunting the same way for 43 years and has never had a word said to him about carrying a pistol. Come to mention it last year a game warden checked us for tags and saw we were carrying my 30-06 and my 9mm pistol and he didn't say a word!!!!

billythekidrock
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Slow down there fella.....
You can call BS, but you can't call me a liar!
Just because you didn't get a warning or ticket does not make it legal.

I suggest that you read and re-read the regulations, and if you are going to accuse some one of lying then you should do the research and post your findings. I would like to see where they state you can carry a side arm for bear or cougar during an archery deer or elk season. Until then this is what most of us go by.

Washington Big Game Hunting Regulations 2004
Equipment and Hunting Methods
Page 15

Section 3
Archery
(c) It is illegal to carry or have in possession any firearm while in the field archery hunting, during the archery season specified for that area.

Section 4
Carrying a modern firearm or handgun during archery or muzzle-loader seasons.
It is illegal to possess a handgun or any firearm while hunting deer or elk with an archery tag/season.

Section 5
Dispatching wounded game
A hunter can only use a method that meets the equipment requirements of his/her tag to dispatch game.

Again, you may carry a firearm and archery equipment during bear or cougar season as long as there is not an archery elk or deer season in the unit you are hunting and that you don't have a deer or elk tag on you.

You might also want to check with F&G about your side arm if you intend to use it to hunt big game as a 9mm does not have the required foot lbs downrange.

You might also look at page 5 which states:
This pamphlet is a summary of the hunting regulations and seasons... This pamphlet does not contain nor is intended to contain all the Department regulations.

Take these rules and advise you like.

Kanibal
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
I know where I live on the Olympic Peninsula (I dont think its different anywhere alse in the state of Washington) you cannot under any circumstances carry a fiream while archery hunting.

By the way Willy it may not be wise to be calling BS on anyone here at THL. It doesnt make for a civil conversation piece.

Willywonka
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
The only reason I call bs is because he is making it seem like I'm doing something illegal and if he is so up on his rules for modern firearms then he needs to check the fact that all you need for any animal in washington is a minimum of 24 caliber centerfire cartridge. if you know the math then my 9mm works out to be a 363 or 360 if you round it which is well above the legal limits on that. They must also have a 4 inch barrel at least and mine has a 4.05 inch barrel. The rules state it is illegal to possess it while hunting deer or elk when archery hunting for those but if your hunting bears or cougars than you can carry them and believe my when I'm carrying that its usually in an area that bears and cougars are in and have been spotted by us on previous occasions. I understand that bears and cougars are everywhere but they are just like any other animal they have habits and if you see a bear in 1 general area I guarantee the next time you see it it'll be in the same area.

Violator22
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Willy, you need to look at what was said about ftlbs, all 50 states have a minimum. Generally a 38 special barely makes minimum ft. lbs. , you are correct on the centerfire bit, but just because it is a centerfire doesn't mean it has the stopping power. I darn sure wouldn';t want to go head to head with even a small black bear with a 9mm. My minimum is 357 and i live in Colorado, and yes I do know my Washington hunting regs. My wifes family is from that area. Meeting a black bear with a 9mm is like taking a BB hog hunting. By the way will you describe a 9mm Mag to me, never heard of it. What is it like a 38 special chopped down, and 9mm is a .357 diameter bullet. You can use 357 dies to reload 9mm in a pinch. JMHO, Les

m gardner
05-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I live in Colorado too and carry a 44 mag for self defense loaded with hard cast bullets. The wondernine would probably be useful during a bear attack. If he really started hurting you bad you could shoot yourself with it.

Violator22
05-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Thts why you take someone you dislike, you don't have to outrun the bear or cougar just your hunting partner. Thats what I used to tell my Dad after I got my 1st 44 mag in Alaska, for some reason he wouldn't go with me anymore. I still ain't trusting any 9mm, I don't care if the ballistics are the same as a 45 ACp. Just not enough knockdown power. :D Les

m gardner
05-05-2005, 11:37 PM
The nine is fun to shoot as it won't hurt you. I just bought a S&W model 908 to use in IDPA matches (It's an armed track meet) . But I know I'll need to shoot the poppers at least 2 to 3 times to knock them down where a 44 special or 45 ACP will do it with ine shot. I'll also carry it concealed. I train to draw and head shoot and I believe that'll work. The 44 has killed an elk and some deer and fully penetrated them. God bless and good shooting.

Violator22
05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Just use my 45 ACP for carry when I am on the road, have to be careful, not all states recognize my carry permit. I do like the 44 for hunting though. Going to try a Ruger old Army for Deer on my Dads farm in Michigan this year. Good backup for downed but not dead game. Les

billythekidrock
05-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Willy- Then call BS if it makes you feel better. It doesn't hurt my feelings. Everyone has his or her interpretation of the game laws and there own code of ethics.

I am not here to debate ethics, but the laws as I know them and have been explained to me by Enforcement as well as the Instructor of the "Advanced Hunter Education" course (which I passed).

if he is so up on his rules for modern firearms then he needs to check the fact that all you need for any animal in washington is a minimum of 24 caliber centerfire cartridge.
All you need? I think not.
Where did you get this info? The regs?
Belive me, I have a 9mm and I know it is illegal to hunt with.
The .357 Magnum is not allowed for big game hunting by Washington State fish and game regulations and it has much more power than a 9mm.

Again, You might also look at page 5 which states:
This pamphlet is a summary of the hunting regulations and seasons... This pamphlet does not contain nor is intended to contain all the Department regulations.

The rules state it is illegal to possess it while hunting deer or elk when archery hunting for those but if your hunting bears or cougars than you can carry them
If you are hunting during an archery deer/elk season (overlap) in a deer/elk area then it is illegal to carry any firearm regardless of what animal (bear, cougar, etc,) you are after.

and believe my when I'm carrying that its usually in an area that bears and cougars are in and have been spotted by us on previous occasions.
Again, if you are hunting bear/cougar in an open deer/elk archery area you
CAN NOT carry a firearm of any type even if you have spotted bear/cougar in the area.

If you leave your deer/elk tag at home and hunt bears with a bow while carrying in an open deer/elk area then you are legal.

I understand that bears and cougars are everywhere but they are just like any other animal they have habits and if you see a bear in 1 general area I guarantee the next time you see it it'll be in the same area.
Not always. Bears will go where the food is. If you see him in a cut eating cascara in September he may not have been there in August and will probably not be there in October, unless there are other food sources in the general area.

Carrying a firearm as protection from bears & cougars is actually funny to me. I have ridden my bike with in 10 yds of bears on 3 occasions without a weapon, two were sows with cubs. I have walked with 15 yds of a sow with cubs, and one time I got within 15 yds of a big boar while trying to chase him up a tree all by myself (no dogs, no gun) to see if I could tree him so some one could go get a rifle. Bears are big babies and will run at the site or smell of humans. And the chances of being attacked by a cougar are like getting hit by lightning or winnin the lotto.

Anyways, I am off for a weekend of Morel picking. Have fun.

Violator22
05-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Actually reading the regs, the 357 is legal to hunt with in Washington, must be 24 caliber 6mm or larger, I take back what I said, about ft lbs, no mention in the game regs book. I know michigan requires 357 cal bullets, case must be 1 inch in length, and must be a straight-walled pistol cartridge to hunt with a handgun in Michigan, Washington doesn't have that stipulation, Kid use whatever you want, your life is in your hands, also take a buddy that you can outrun. Les

Willywonka
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't think 15 rounds of 147 grain 9mm rounds is gonna be like a bb gun to any animal!