PDA

View Full Version : Hunting sheds

m gardner
03-02-2005, 10:04 PM
It's March again and the mule deer in my area will soon shed their antlers. It happens around the 7 th to the 14 th. Anybody else excited about shed hunting? It's the only way I get trophy antlers most years!

Gmoney
03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I love shed hunting but we only have whitetails in my neck of the mesquite......Do not get to do it very often but I love to do it.....it is hard to find them in good shape where I am from because the critters get to them so quick.....

Antler3
03-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes shed hunting is fun ! We have whitetails here too and yes they are hard to find. I have never found a good shed , but did find an eight point with skull last year. I think he must have slid off down in the holler during a bad ice storm. There was a doe skull laying there with him. I also hunt morell mushrooms along about turkey season anybody ever gather those ??

m gardner
03-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Went to Rangely, Co this weekend and on the way home some of the deer I saw were wearing one antler so I guess the game shall begin! Got one trophy antler last year; scored 84.5 inches. I'm getting excited.

Ultrahunter
03-09-2005, 08:15 PM
I found both sides of a pretty nice 4 point Muley this weekend and a couple of single 3 points, good day and a great hike.

m gardner
03-23-2005, 09:42 PM
It's time to go hunt sheds this weekend. They've pretty much all come off now. Nothing's worse than getting one side and bumping the buck with the other side into the next county. I found one side of a nice 4 point on my neighbor's lawn this morning. Took it to work and gave it to some folks that are here from overseas. They've been sightseeing on the weekends and can't believe how beautiful it is here. You'd thought I gave them a million dollars. At first they were a little horrified thinking I'd just killed it but when they found out they fell off each year they were relieved. It was pretty funny for a while. They're pretty nice folks. God bless and good hunting.

Hunterbug
04-06-2005, 02:33 AM
I've got a couple of sheds that I'll post pics of. My friends have a ton! They even found a skull of a 3X3 buck with a 22" inside spread! My wife used the shead that I've founds for back scratchers. ;)

CuzTheyFly
04-13-2005, 05:16 AM
Sheds are cool- check out this pile! Elk - Mule Deer 1986 Colorado Luark Ranch.

http://www.txdovehunt.com/Shed_Stack_Antlers_CO_512_.JPG

Antler3
04-13-2005, 07:18 AM
My My !! Wonder if they know there is a market for those ;).

m gardner
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
They locally call this a bone pile. There's one guy that makes figures of elk and deer on his lawn with the antlers and it looks pretty cool. He's good at it. God bless and good hunting.

drinksgin (deceased)
04-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I like to make more or less jewelry with them.
I use the base as a bola tie and put silver mounted polished stones in the recess I route out, then take the tips , add a sleeve of silver on the point to crimp the bola cords in and make a silver bezel on the bigger end to hold a stone matching the center stone.
My problem is trying to find some that are still ungnawed, or to just find any, most of the time.
Also make tie clips, bracelet sets and pendants of them, even earrings of very small tips.
Don

M. R. Byrd
04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I have not found one shed yet. I am still seeing the bucks sporting both antlers here. I was just on the phone with my buddy from SE Kansas. He said they are seeing everything from spikes to huge bucks, still with their antlers. He said that the old timers are talking about it being really late this year.

Maynard

m gardner
04-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Don't worry, they'll start growing soon and then they have to come off. Good luck on your turkey hunt. God bless and good hunting.

m gardner
04-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I went out for 20 minutes before work and to my amazement some still have antlers. One large 2 point in particular. This is not good. They'll migrate and lose them while they travel, which means they'll be all over instead of in one happy bunch. Oh well, I needed the exercise. God bless and good hunting.

sav17
04-28-2005, 04:14 PM
confused me this thread in the uk a "shed"is a small wooden house at the bottom of your garden where you keep your gardening stuff and you go to get away from the wife:D :D :D

Antler3
04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Ha ! Ha ! Yep that's what a shed is to us also. But the word shed has different meanings for us. The animals shed their winter fur, the deer shed their antlers, and we also go to the shed for the garden rake. I can see where it could get confusing :).

sav17
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi antler,

when I saw the thread I was expecting some sort of D.I.Y discussion you have to excuse me it is not the first time I have made a complete fool of myself on this forum:o :D :D

your friend................Richie

rockinbbar
04-28-2005, 06:19 PM
What's REALLY confusing is what people call thier outbuildings on thier property...
I've had issue with my employees before on this..:)

They would bring me a field drawing of a square labeled "shed-8X10"...
As a surveyor, I have to lable things correctly on my plat.

So, I ask them how many walls did it have? Answer..."4"..So, I have to get into what is really a shed.....;)
A "shed" is a building that has maybe ONE wall, with a roof, (In legal terms I have to use)
It doesn't HAVE to have a wall though.....you could sink 4 posts in the ground & put a sheet metal tin roof on it & it is a "shed"....Like the proverbial "wood shed". Are you with me here?:D

Now, these metal or otherwise wooden buildings that are delivered to your yard from Home Depot, that you put your lawnmower, & various other tools & junk in, are not sheds.....LOL.
They have a roof & 4 walls....Thus rendering them a "Portable Storage Building"....:)

Now, that brings up another question.....If I am surveying a property, and I measure a 12X20 stucture that is nothing more than a roof suspended by posts in the ground, does that make it a "shed"? It certainly qualifies by the previous description doesn't it?

WRONG!;)
It depends on the location of the structure on the property....!
If it's at the end of a gravel driveway it is a "Carport".....If it is attached to the house in front & has the driveway going through it, (such as a circular drive), then it is a "Portico"....(Still with me?) NOW the same structure can be behind the house either in a pasture with animals or have hay stored in it, & it is a "Pole-Barn"....Now go figure..;) :D

I know, all this has nothing to with hunting, game animals, antlers, or whatever....(Bear with me..)

If I am out walking in the wilderness & find an antler that a deer, elk or whatever has lost (actually he didn't lose it...he knows exactly where it is.:) )...Then that is an "offcast antler"!!

Now by going by the title to this thread...."Hunting Sheds"....one would now expect to find information or stories relating to a small structure with a roof, & mayhaps one wall, with a folding chair, camo netting or brush stacked around it, that a certain hunter uses to keep the rain from running down his neck as he SITS inside..........:)

BUT WAIT! That can't be! Thats not a "shed" that's a BLIND!...To SEE wild game from! (As the hunter is sitting in his BLIND while STAND hunting!!) :D :D

Just thought I'd drive yall crazy......LOL.
The English language & it's uses as it pertains to our lives today must really drive new English students learning our language for the first time absolutely NUTS!

Rockin'

sav17
04-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Oh dear looks like I,ve started something off again,,sorry:o :D :D :D

rockinbbar
04-28-2005, 06:26 PM
;)

Rockin'

sav17
04-28-2005, 06:27 PM
[

Now by going by the title to this thread...."Hunting Sheds"....one would now expect to find information or stories relating to a small structure with a roof, & mayhaps one wall, with a folding chair, camo netting or brush stacked around it, that a certain hunter uses to keep the rain from running down his neck as he SITS inside..........:)
Now thats what I THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT:confused: :D :D :D :D

Antler3
04-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I do believe Rockin' summed it up :D :D :D !! I have a question though.....ummm??? Do animals offcast thier winter fur or do they shed ?? ;).

rockinbbar
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Mine shed like bears! The horses are just about done.....the cats are well on thier way, and the dogs havn't even thought about it yet...:)

m gardner
04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
The shed is where I keep my sheds and pickups. Oops. I said pickups didn't I? Well pickups are illegal to have now because of the Sampson law. So we can't keep the pickups anymore! Lets see where this goes. God bless and good hunting.

sav17
04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
I do believe Rockin' summed it up :D :D :D !! I have a question though.....ummm??? Do animals offcast thier winter fur or do they shed ?? ;).Hi Antler,
we refer to the loss off fur as either M.P.B(male pattern baldness:D )or moulting;)

sav17
04-29-2005, 04:15 PM
The shed is where I keep my sheds and pickups. Oops. I said pickups didn't I? Well pickups are illegal to have now because of the Sampson law. So we can't keep the pickups anymore! Lets see where this goes. God bless and good hunting.Oh come on what are you trying to do to me "sheds pickups" to me a pick up is an open backed vehicle very useful for huntng and carrying your tools:confused: .
Sorry I am trying to keep up here I think this is great best thing I ever did was find this site:D :D :D I love the way you can take a serious topic let it run and finish it off with a bit of humour this site never fails for me I can obtain serious advice help and still get a laugh out of it no stuffyness none of the I am an expert you have to listen to me, all in all marvelous folks ,only known you for about 4 months but I feel you have welcomed me in as part of your family which with me being a foreigner I find marvelous please keep it up
Your confused friend from the wrong side of the pond....................Richie
Oh and rockin,sorry about this, but what you call a blind we call a"hide";) here we go again!!!!

m gardner
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
The pickups are from dead animals. The problem being that some unscrupulous types were making the animals dead and hiding them so they could go back and pickup the heads. So now we got a law prohibiting the possesion of trophy quality pickups. Too bad my pickup isn't trophy quality. I might put it in the garage instead of out in the weather! (I got hide in there too didn't I?) God bless and good hunting.

sav17
04-29-2005, 05:13 PM
The pickups are from dead animals. The problem being that some unscrupulous types were making the animals dead and hiding them so they could go back and pickup the heads. So now we got a law prohibiting the possesion of trophy quality pickups. Too bad my pickup isn't trophy quality. I might put it in the garage instead of out in the weather! (I got hide in there too didn't I?) God bless and good hunting.Hi "M",
Yeah you got hide in there,so if I understand it right a shed is a naturally lost antler and a pickup is a complete skull or head from a dead animal:)
your friend...............Richie

m gardner
04-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Bingo!

sav17
04-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Bingo!Hi "M",
Isnt that a game played by elderley people with numbered cards and counters,NO! NO! just kidding.;) :D :D :D :D
Glad I have finally got something right
Your friend........................................Rich ie

Antler3
04-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Yep, and when you get it right you yell BINGO ! ;) ! :D :D :D Glad to have you aboard Richie, I have found the same qualities that you mention on this sight. An awesome sight indeed ! No stuffyness and no trash. Truly enjoyable :) !!!

Antler3
04-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Antler,
we refer to the loss off fur as either M.P.B(male pattern baldness:D )or moulting;) Ha Ha ! Good one (M.P.B.) well, molting is what birds do. Some folks may refer to fur loss as molting. I've always heard of the birds molting feathers ;) I'm not a good one to answer questions about the English language, I live in the Ozark Mnts. of Northern Arkansas and we kinda have a language all our own ;)

sav17
04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Ha Ha ! Good one (M.P.B.) well, molting is what birds do. Some folks may refer to fur loss as molting. I've always heard of the birds molting feathers ;) I'm not a good one to answer questions about the English language, I live in the Ozark Mnts. of Northern Arkansas and we kinda have a language all our own ;)Hi Antler,
DONT ASK ME ABOUT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE i,M WELSH a bit like you I live up the mountains as well ,isnt life grand,my .grampa always told me never take life to serious coz this aint no rehearsal this is it your one chance,what a phylosophy "aye marvelous innit "thats a bit of what we call wenglish,we have our own language dont you know. I will give you a phrase phonetically,if you want to say how are you my friend,you say "shoom eye butt" a close friend is your "butty"so if its a good friend you say"shoom eye butty"
good morning "bore heh da
good afternoon "prin hown da"
good night" no star"
ther oo arrr a bit of a welsh lesson
your friend the mad taff .................RICHIE(TAFF IS SLANG FOR A WELSHMAN)

Antler3
04-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Very interesting Richie, thanks for sharing that information.
Hunting sheds,(offcast antlers, molted antlers, pickups ;) ) in my part of the country is very difficult. We have whitetail deer, and the rodents chew them up shortly after they're cast. I have found a couple of pickups. Both 8 points. But never just a cast antler.