PDA

View Full Version : Worn out!

drinksgin (deceased)
02-22-2014, 05:59 PM
I just spent 4 hours prepping kumquats for marmalade,still have a bunch left to do in a few days.
I got the urge and found an orchard about 100 miles away that would ship a medium flat rate box full.
Believe me, the 10 lbs that went into the box is a BUNCH of kumquats, they are just a bit larger than quail eggs and full of seeds that have to be removed. These are really good flavored, though, tree ripened and very sweet and full flavored.
Now to do the cooking tomorrow.

:food04::food04:

drinksgin (deceased)
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
7 pints in the pantry.
Contrary to popular belief, if you keep on cooking and stirring, the mix WILL , finally, sheet off the spoon!
It just seems as though it never will.
The 7 pints and the kumquats still to be processed!
Oh, me, my pore old back.

gitano
02-23-2014, 05:58 PM
I LOVE kumquats! Will this place ship to AK? Up here, kumquats are INSANELY expensive. Most other citrus fruit is very reasonably priced, but for some reason kumquats are out of this world. Last time I checked I think I had to pick myself up off of the floor.

If "they" won't ship to AK, I will GLADLY pay you a 'commission' to get 10 lb and send them to me.

Paul

drinksgin (deceased)
02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Hold your breath, I think you are the answer to my question of what to do with the bunch that is staring me in the face that I really do not want to mess with.
I can assure you, even with my and my wife's love of the marmalade, 7 pints will surely do us until next fall.

gitano
02-23-2014, 08:28 PM
:food04::MOGRIN::biggthumpup:

Paul

drinksgin (deceased)
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
En la manana!
The co. is; Griffin Berry Farm
409-753-2247
They are a pick your own operation, having several things, including peaches and rabbit eye blueberries, all in season whenever they get ripe.
For satsumas and kumquats, the season usually starts in November and as you can see this year, goes almost to March.
If you call the number, you get a recording telling you what is in season and asking you to leave a message if you want them to call you back.
You can do this next fall and likely get a kumquat fix by mail, I did!

drinksgin (deceased)
02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
On the way.
Give the little green things to Gram, ask nicely for a key lime pie.
Save the juiced out peels, add them to the kumquats you do not eat and make some really good marmalade.
Have fun!
Sure saved me from another 4-5 hours of prepping!

:MOGRIN:

gitano
02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Yur a prince!

THANKS!

Paul

gitano
02-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Got em!

Again, you're a prince!

How can I reciprocate?

Paul

drinksgin (deceased)
02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Enjoy, and think about pore ol ' me, I just got back from HEB, 4 lb of pork chops and a "fryer", at 5.3 lb, it sounds a bit big for a fryer, but at .75c lb, not bad, the pork chops were $1.47 lb.
The chicken is washed, split, coated and in a bag, the pork chops are also coated, in a bag and both are in the little refrigerator for the 3-4 day sugar cure .
I was down to just a few smoked chops left , sliced up 3lb of canadian bacon yesterday, can't run out of that, as I do not like regular bacon, even the low sodium ones are way too salty for me.
Still staying wore out!
Eating good though!