PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Sambar Deer Hunt

Jorge in Oz
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Well I'd been talking to my mate Matt about getting out for a hunt at some stage close to the end of last year. Swifts Creek came up in the conversation and I had mentioned to Andy about a possible meet up to hunt there around September. This did not work out and my mate said he would be busy until after Christmas.

He calls me up late in November telling me he had some tentative dates after boxing day. I start getting excited about the possibility of some venison on the table. Then in early December my mate lets me know there has been a change of venue and we will be pig hunting in Yarrawonga on a 3,000 acre property. Now I was both excited and disappointed as no venison but the prospect of offloading many rounds on a pig infested property was rather exciting. Proceeded to buy 60 rounds for my Winny 670 that would be a perfect pig rifle and start to get my smaller calibre rifles ready for some serious shooting. Got another call two days before the trip to advise me that the trip to Yarrawonga was canned and we were back to Swifts Creek. Again excited and disappointed but more excited as the prospects of venison after a 2 year drought (due to move from Queensland to Victoria)were mouth watering. Out came the 303-270 and the 8x57 Mauser. Still packed the Winny as ferals were a plenty in the bush wherever you go.

We headed up the morning of the 27th December in my mate's Mitsubishi Triton twin cab ute. Picked up his brother-in-law Barry who is not a hunter but was up for the experience. Very nice fellow. we were supposed to meet his workmate at the property. Another friend from Matt's church, John, who is an avid deer hunter, was supposed to come but cancelled to spend more time with his family before he went back to work.

We rocked up to the property expecting to be camping out and quickly realised that the vacated shack on the property had running water and electricity. So a quick decision to camp in the house was wisely made. Here are some pics of our luxurious accommodation. One should be most grateful as it was much better than tenting it. This one is the master bedroom. The dude who lived here must have left in a hurry as he didn't bother taking some of his clothes, bedding and other personal items.

This was where we set up our sleeping quarters

This was the dunny we used kanga style (translation: squatting over) as it was mighty gross but again better than a squat in a dug hole out the back where the snakes were lurking. No reverse kangas were allowed.

There was a kinder surprise in the kitchen sink. A bird must have got in and couldn't find his way out, thus perished in the sink.

This is Matt hanging out the front of the shack.

Me out the front with my trusty Win 670.

It was a bit chilly at night being in the high country so we set up a fire in an old washing machine tub we had found last time we'd come here, about a year ago.

Barry did most of the cooking and the first night for dinner we had some nice steak and bacon with some rice. It was a treat. There was a lot of bacon consumed that weekend. Here is a sample of Barry's cuisine.

We head out for spotlight the 2 nights we were there with mixed success. We had a few misses on a couple of deer :Banghead: but Matt took a beautiful shot at a fox with his Howa 308 Win at about 100 meters. All he could see was two red eyes and he nailed it with a head shot.

On the final night after taking that fox we decided to get up at 4 am the next morning to see if we could secure a deer in our final outing. I was on the spotty and Matt was the designated shooter. Barry handled the spotty and drove the ute mighty well during our outings but was the designated driver on our last morning there. Now for you guys that have not spotlighted deer before, the roos and foxes normally have a red tint to their eyes when you flash a spotty in their direction. The deer have larger eyes and have a tinge of green in their reflection. I found this most interesting as i have never spotlighted deer, except once in Qld where I didn't take notice of this.

As we were driving through a 4WD track with hills on either side, where we had spotted deer on a previous night, we spotted two eyes on our right side near a tree. We quickly realised they were deer and my mate proceeded to let off 3 quick shots. One was still there and appeared to be hit. Matt turns to me and tells me he has no more ammo. I gave him the spotty and proceeded to retrieve my Winny from the back seat and fired three quick shots as the deer was staring to move. It dropped on the spot on my third shot. We took a quick look and saw that the deer was down, it was a young healthy looking spiker. We continued to spotlight in another area and would come back for the deer at daylight.

We returned at daylight and this sight was waiting for us.

On inspection we saw that my mate's shot had hit it in the stomach which assisted in slowing down the deer and my shot put it down on the spot. Here is a shot with me and the downed spiker.:grin:

I proceeded to field dress it taking all 4 legs and the back straps. I cleaned up the legs and bagged and iced the meat back at the shack. Once that was done we proceeded to pack up and headed home with my first Sambar deer taken in Victoria and an esky full of venison. :2thumbsup:

I will try to get more pics of the surrounding hills that were taken by my mate so you can appreciate the terrain we hunted in.

We had a great time and Matt's brother-in-law, Barry was quite a funny guy and we all had a good laugh giving each other heaps.

Cheers

Jorge

sakorick
01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Sounds great, but there are no pictures associated with this post, I assume boxing day is a big deal over there. Regards, Rick.

Jorge in Oz
01-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Sorry Rick, bad editing from my part.

Try again.

sakorick
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Looks like a classy joint. My kind of camp! Good luck. Regards, Rick.

kombi1976
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Wow, nice work, Jorge. Didn't know spot lighting deer was legal in VIC (it isn't here in NSW) but venison is venison!

Jorge in Oz
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
It's legal on private properties but not in state forest.

kombi1976
01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Ahhh, same here I think but only when the property owner, etc is doing it for pest control. Still, spotlight or daylight sambar is THE best venison, easily better than red and even better than really tender fallow venison.

Jorge in Oz
01-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Here in Victoria if you are doing it on behalf of the owner, who in this instance is not a licensed firearm owner then it is fine as long s you have been given permission, which was the case for us.

I must say I grew partial to red deer, but I have only had a couple of meals so far of Sambar and I have yet to savour the difference. I guess it has been two years since my last taste of red deer venison. I'm yet to taste fallow deer.

22hornet
01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Great write up Jorge. Good to see you out and hitting the bush.
Maybe next time some free range Sambar trophies could be on the cards?

Was someone squatting in the house before you arrived?

Jorge in Oz
01-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Great write up Jorge. Good to see you out and hitting the bush.
Maybe next time some free range Sambar trophies could be on the cards?

Was someone squatting in the house before you arrived?

Thanks Scott. Going back possibly in May for just that reason. Neglected to mention we missed taking a shot on a massive stag that crossed our path. I was on spotlight duty at the time and cursed severely in my own head as we watch that boy boy waltz past.

22hornet
01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Even when you have a spotlight it can pay to have a small LED torch mounted above your scope, like Andy does. Helps for those "one off" things like you mentioned.

kombi1976
01-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Wow, 22h, you make me feel like a paragon of hunting wisdom! :greentongue:

gitano
01-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Very cool!

Hard to get used to seeing hunters in short pants. Even if it were warm enough in hunting season, the bugs would eat you alive.

Looking forward to hearing more from this spring's hunt!

Paul

kombi1976
01-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Summer, Paul. It's January.

gitano
01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah, we hunt in "summer" too, but it's rarely above 10 degrees C (50 degrees F).

Paul

kombi1976
01-10-2014, 08:22 PM
That's winter hunting temps for us. ;)

gitano
01-11-2014, 01:30 AM
Winter hunting temps have little dashes in front of the numbers...

Paul

kombi1976
01-11-2014, 01:41 AM
So I've heard....... :(
Every year we usually get 1 or 2 nights when it drops to -7 C but I suspect the number behind your dash is significantly bigger.

Jorge in Oz
01-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I can see why they sell so much equipment to keep hunters warm in North America. I wouldn't fancy sitting in a stand with below zero temps waiting for a deer but I guess you must do what you can to get some venison or that trophy stag.

Neglected to mention in my spill that I was unloading my Enfield 303-270, I clicked the safety off and a round fired in close proximity to my mate Matt. It was too close for me and I take my hat off to him for not soiling his pants. I was most annoyed as this had happened once before when we were checking to see if we were sighted in in state forest and at the time I thought I had depressed the trigger but I realised I had not.

Put the rifle aside for the rest of the trip but I decided to investigate so I took it apart and noticed that the previous owner in his wisdom (or lack there of) had decided to convert the military trigger to single stage by sanding down the humps on the trigger. He went too far on the second one and I can see how unsafe it now is. I had checked the trigger break with a snap cap when I first got it but it seemed fine. In hindsight I should have taken that sucker apart to check it all over. I am now considering selling it after I buy a replacement military trigger for it. Not happy at all but I feel torn as it is a very accurate rifle but a military trigger will not assist to retain this level of accuracy.

I have seen the Huber triggers with the little ball bearing but I'm not keen on spending Au$100 on something that may not be any better. Does anyone have any experience with these triggers. Here is the link. http://www.combathunting.com/ENFIELD_RIFLE-Lee_Enfield_Trigger_SMLE_1_Mk_III_Also_4_Mk_I_1.ht ml

The 8x57 Mauser Vergueiro has a heavy trigger too but I am considering buying an aftermarket Timney or Bolt (seen one on FleaBay) trigger for that rifle.

Any advise on both of these. Can the mauser milsurp triggers be honed. It is currently single stage but breaks heavy.

Cheers

Jorge

kombi1976
01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Sadly, 303 wildcat rifles are worth very little. If this rifle really is accurate it may be worth hanging onto it and upgrading the trigger when you can afford it. I was going to sell my 303/25, which admittedly is a beater, and a number of gun dealers said that they had 303/270s & 303/25s that had been sitting in stock for years.

gitano
01-12-2014, 09:15 PM
I have experienced three "ADs" (accidental discharge) in my life, and all were very disconcerting.

Let's clear something up about military, two-stage triggers. They are NOT "inherently inaccurate". In fact, some incredibly small groups at VERY long ranges have been fired with "factory" military triggers. Two-stage military triggers are REQUIRED at "Service Rifle" competitions, and those guys and rifles shoot tiny little groups. Personally, I PREFER the "two-stage" trigger now that I have learned to shoot one. The first "stage" is nothing more than a "take-up" to let you know "where you are". It's the second stage that is the one that contributes to precision. With the proper attention, any two-stage trigger can be just as good as any after-market trigger. It would be a shame to get rid of a rifle one liked simply because it has a two-stage trigger. There is NO reason why a two-stage trigger should adversely effect precision.

My suggestions are:
1) Get the replacement trigger you mentioned and try it out.
2) If it is too "strong", then replace the spring. Doing so is TRIVIAL. The most difficult task will be getting a new spring. If that is difficult, you can "trim" the existing one. Nip off a single rotation, and test. If it needs more, take off another. The WORST that could happen is that you'd have to ultimately replace the spring.

You can "hone" the trigger sear, but as you have seen, this can be over-done. "Over-done" is the result of not taking one's time and TESTING FREQUENTLY. A great deal can be done to improve the 'feel' of a trigger by simply "polishing" with steel wool. That would be my first suggestion. That will take any "grit" out of the trigger pull. If it's still not satisfying, you can proceed to "hone" it with 1200-grit wet-dry sandpaper, but you have to GO SLOW AND TEST FREQUENTLY. Also, hone ONLY the trigger sear, NOT the cocking-piece sear. You can "polish" the cocking piece sear, but DO NOT "hone" it.

Paul

Jorge in Oz
01-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Andy, I bought my 303-270 quite cheaply and I don't think I'd have a problem getting back what I paid for it but it would be hard to let go being so accurate (hunting accuracy). Any Enfield I have ever bought has not been a collectors' rifle as I like to have utilitarian rifles that can be taken in the bush and not be worried about scratching the stock or blueing. Half the fun for me is making my own rounds with those wildcats, although my last batch of 303-270s left much to be desired as I broke my reloading press (last cast alloy/aluminium press I buy) so I had to finish them with the vice die and I didn't hammer the case in far enough as the necks were lose and swallowed my pills. I haven't needed a bullet puller but now I'll have to get one.

Paul, thanks for your informative feedback. Never really taken a Mauser apart but it was a no brainer. I cut a single rotation last night and it helped but was still stiff. I may do a second one and just polish the trigger sear and cocking piece sear and then test it. If that doesn't improve it I will hone the trigger sear, gradually and checking it in intervals. I don't fancy another rifle misfiring.

About the 2 stage trigger I have a short memory. I had a Mauser Vergueiro in original military condition with a scout scope set up and that shot just over an inch at 100 meters with a two stage trigger. I am bidding for a military trigger for the Enfield on eBay at the moment so if I win it, I'll just install it and test some groups before I proceed to do anything to it. I missed out on the aftermarket trigger for the Mauser so I'll persist with what you suggested.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback on this thread.

Cheers

Jorge

gitano
01-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Some of that tension you feel is not the trigger spring, but the strength of the firing pin spring. Something to keep in mind as you shorten the spring as at some point, even with no trigger spring, there will be tension maintained by the firing pin spring.

Paul

Jorge in Oz
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Some of that tension you feel is not the trigger spring, but the strength of the firing pin spring. Something to keep in mind as you shorten the spring as at some point, even with no trigger spring, there will be tension maintained by the firing pin spring.

Paul

Cheers Paul will keep that in mind.

22hornet
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Jorge, you should be able to seek out an original trigger for your SMLE pretty cheaply. Try Western Firearms or Lawrence Ordnance.

Jorge in Oz
01-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Cheers Scott, got me one on eBay albeit it cost me $17 including postage, which is ok.

Will spend some more time on the Mauser trigger while I wait for the Enfield trigger to arrive.

Mates keep telling me to sell the old bangers and get a new rifle, I'm still resisting even contemplating buying a Lee No1 Mk I sporter. Will have to resist that temptation as I could be hunting deer with a 303 in the future. I guess I could do a lot worse.

kombi1976
01-16-2014, 02:09 AM
You could do MUCH worse. People hunt deer with far worse cartridges. Using AR2209 and a 180gr bullet you can push them out at about 2450fps, quite healthy enough for sambar. For fallow a 125gr pill doing close to 2850fps is ample. We only use 120gr Nosler BTs when hunting fallow with 7mm-08.

22hornet
01-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Mates keep telling me to sell the old bangers and get a new rifle, I'm still resisting even contemplating buying a Lee No1 Mk I sporter. Will have to resist that temptation as I could be hunting deer with a 303 in the future. I guess I could do a lot worse.

There are a few Parker Hale's, No.4's and SMLE's that pop up from time to time. I would love one of those. :sweetheart: But I am a Lee Enfield fan.

Jorge in Oz
01-19-2014, 05:55 AM
I like those Parker Hales too, but they sell like hot cakes especially the 303s.

Andy, Remington Core Lokt 180 grain ammo claim about 2460 which is not bad. It's a shame Highland ammo is not around anymore and I haven't seen any Prvi Partisan in the shops yet. S & B only load 150 grainers and FMJs. Ilike the hotter Euro stuff but the Rem is not bad if it actually achieves the claimed speeds.

I'm hanging out to get another 303 shouldn't have sold my last two.

Jorge in Oz
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Paul,

On the Mauser, I removed a Sportsman aftermarket trigger on my varmint barrel 303-25 K98 Oberndorf and fitted it to the Vergueiro. That really made a world of difference. I will just have to inlet the stock to fit the aftermarket trigger.

What was really surprising was how good the Vergueiro trigger broke on the K98. Vergueiros share the same trigger as the 98 Mausers but the spring on the K98 bolt does not appear to be as stiff so it breaks nice and clean. Will have to test it out to see if it still shoots as good as it did before. The K98 is an ugly boy but with the heavy barrel, bedding and smith work on the magazine it feeds the 303 rimmed case nicely and shoots sub moa at 100 meters so will see if that still holds true. By the way its only a single stage trigger that one so it appears to have also been worked on by the previous owner. Will have to test the safety on that one too. I shot it at the property we hunted on and had no problems with it. Thanks for the advice on the trigger Paul.

Cheers

Jorge

gitano
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Will have to test it out to see if it still shoots as good as it did before.
No reason I can think of that it shouldn't.

Will have to test the safety on that one too.
I certainly would. I no longer trust ANY "safety". While it is true that 99.44% (the purity of Ivory Snow soap), of ALL ADs are HUMAN ERROR in one form or another, for me, the ONLY "safe" gun is one without a cartridge in the chamber. Again, I trust NO safety.

That said, there are two checks I used to perform to determine if a safety was operating as designed. The first was to sharply strike the butt on the ground (or bench top) with the safety on. Of course the firing pin should not drop. The second, was to kock the rifle, engage the safety, pull the trigger - HARD - and disengage the safety. The firing pin should not fall. Two of the ADs I have experienced in my life occurred after each of the above events (butt hit and safety on-and-off cycle).

The only "safe" gun is one without a round in the chamber.

Paul

Jorge in Oz
01-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Still waiting for the Enfield trigger. :frown

drinksgin (deceased)
02-02-2014, 01:35 PM
As to short pants, I see SA , OZ and Kiwis in them often, I cringe at the thought, but where I live, what does not have thorns , cuts or bites so wearing long and heavy pants is about a necessity.
Is the vegetation that friendly in OZ?
Pictures of SA I have seen look very brushy, but I do not know how thorny it is.
Surely you have biting and sucking insects, mosquitoes are every where, even in the desert here and ticks and chiggers can really get to you.
How are the problems faced?

Jorge in Oz
02-02-2014, 09:36 PM
DG I normally hang around the camp site or hut in shorts when its warm, but I always go out field in long pants.

When I lived in Queensland where it can get very hot I would venture out now and then in shorts but when I got home I'd have to get the Dettol or Betadine out to treat all the scratches and gouges as there were some seriously thick brush and thorny bushes in some spots. when the adrenaline is pumping after spotting a deer for a closer stalk its the last thing on your mind. You just lick your wounds after the event. I tend to wear high cut boots, long thick pants and sock savers to keep the chances of getting a snakes to a minimum.

kombi1976
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm with you, Jorge. I've worn shorts on a couple of occasions in the field. In one the entire property was covered in thistle......a fricken nightmare. Most of the time I wear long pants and try to wear long sleeved shirts, for camo reasons, sun protection, plant protection, insect and snake protection. You can always drink more water if you get hotter but you when you're as white as I am and there are nasties about you don't want to have to deal with sunburn, cuts, stings or bites. And I always where boots at least as high as my ankle. My winter boots are well above the ankle - Irish Setter Grizzly Stalkers.

Jorge in Oz
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM
That's it Andy. As long as those boots don't come above the knee (CFM boots), otherwise I'd start to worry. May be for international pirates day knee highs are acceptable but at no other time.

I'm olive complexion but burn like a redhead, figure that one out. Because I surf and play tennis, I'm always brown as and people think that is my natural skin colour, till they see me without a top and shudder at the cadaver's pallor. My wife thought she was marrying a dark/black man and got the shock of her life at our honeymoon (nothing wrong with my manhood, it was the colour of my skin). This is why I also wear long sleeve shirts and long pants. My grandmother (dad's mum) died of skin cancer (she was quite fair) and dad got some cut out of his face a few years back so I take care. Don't wear sunscreen when i hunt as the scent would scare the deer off.

kombi1976
02-03-2014, 03:19 AM
I don't where sunscreen either, but I cover up like mad. You've probably seen pics of me wearing a cowboy hat. It goes EVERYWHERE with me. I'm too bald and fair not to have an good wide brimmed hat and I wasn't going to buy a lame straw hat like life guards wear so I bought something with class & character. The fact I also wear cowboy boots as often as possible has nothing to do with a vain wish to lasso long horns down the Rio Grande. It's actually because every 80s metal lead guitar player I loved as a teenager wore those boots and I've given up caring what other people think. I do get asked if I left my horse outside from time to time but if things get really irritating I tell them it's not for looks, it's for the sun, and that my grandfather died with melanoma. That tends to end the chaps and spurs comments. The fact that my grandfather also died with pro$tate cancer, both were held comfortably at bay by meds and he actually succumbed to influenza after struggling with Alzheimers for 15 years is beside the point. ;)

drinksgin (deceased)
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I have been bald since I was 16, went too many years in the South Texas sun with out a hat, now I visit the dermatologist each year to have all the pre cancerous lesions frozen, NOW, I wear a 3 1/2" brim hat.
As the old saying goes, too soon old, to late smart.
I was really wondering about snakes, I think I read that OZ has more 2 step snakes than anywhere else.

gitano
02-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I am almost literally biting my tongue with respect to some of the comments made in the last 5 posts. "Fun-poking" is less fun - if not less humorous - when the basis is "cultural".

:D

Paul

Jorge in Oz
02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
We are all among friends here Paul so go right ahead you guys would be shocked at some of the things Aussies say to each other joking around, it's all in good fun and no harm intended. I remember at my old firm we had some American guys come over to help us out in our busy season from affiliated firms across the U.S. and they could not believe how we would joke around about ethnic origins and appearances. They said they would be sacked on the spot if they said those things in the US work place. Political correctness to the extreme.

22hornet
02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
I am almost literally biting my tongue with respect to some of the comments made in the last 5 posts. "Fun-poking" is less fun - if not less humorous - when the basis is "cultural".

:D

Paul

It's all good Paul. Just because we make fun doesn't mean we don't like. Odd humour but good humour. :biggthumpup:

gitano
02-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Maybe I was misunderstood... I was biting my tongue so that I did not comment. ;)

I was not complaining about comments made!

Paul

Jorge in Oz
02-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Exactly, don't hold back Paul. I got what you meant.

kombi1976
02-04-2014, 01:36 AM
From memory Paul needs no encouragement...... ;)

kombi1976
02-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Just a little news. I'm off south again this May to hunt sambar although I'll be camping with friends 2 hours south of my previous location rather than hunting from the same cabin. Hopefully I'll actually take a sambar this time. :undecided:

22hornet
03-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Good luck Andy. I hope you bag a big one.

kombi1976
03-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Well, I'm happy to bag ONE. But it is hunting, not shooting. ;)

Jorge in Oz
03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
All the best Andy I hope you bag your first Sambar.

I'm supposed to be going to Swifts Creek in May but my mate has not set a date yet. I'll keep you posted. When are you coming down?

Cheers

Jorge

kombi1976
03-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Jorge. I think I've put in the hard yards and built up my skills. I'll be down early to mid May, 12th - 16th. Before all the boofheads start smashing around in the bush on the June long weekend.

Jorge in Oz
03-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Hey Andy,

That week you are coming down I will be in Adelaide on a conference so I will not be able to go hunting that weekend. What a shame as you could have traveled up to where we were going to be for a scout around if you have no luck in the patch you are visiting.

Not sure if my mate will be going at all yet but I will ask him this week.

Cheers

Jorge

Jorge in Oz
03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Just found out May is no good for my mate so no trip will occur

kombi1976
03-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Well, maybe next time. ;)

22hornet
04-07-2014, 05:28 AM
We should all do a get together. An Aussie THL hunt in the hills.

Jorge in Oz
04-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Great idea Scott!!

kombi1976
04-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm there, mate. I can usually grab a few days of long service leave. August/September before the holidays is bad but after that, worries.