PDA

View Full Version : Remington 710 7mm Rifle

buckman
01-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I am wanting to get anyones thoughts on the Remington 710 7mm rifle that is on the market. I am looking for an inexpensive rifle and scope to deer and elk hunt with. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

rockinbbar
01-21-2005, 11:14 PM
buckman,

Welcome to THL!
I hope you visit & post often.:)

As to the Remington 710....

I have heard good & bad about the rifle. The good is that they shoot well, it seems.

The bad being that they are kinda ugly & are not built with quality components that would render a long rifle life. It would be OK for the occasional hunter, that doesn't shoot a whole lot year around, like some do...(Me included)

If you are cost sensitive & want a really superb, accurate, proven rifle....might want to check out the Savage 110 series.

Rockinbbar

HARRY SACZ
01-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Take a look at the Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow at Wal Mart it comes with a 3x9 Simmons scope and comes in 270WSM, 7MM WSM and 300 WSM. And it sells for 400.00. Also comes in smaller calibers, but for deer and elk these three would be fine.

buckman
01-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the information. I use my rifle for deer hunting once a year and maybe some coyote hunting and some minor shooting, but nothing much. Thanks again for the information!

buckman
01-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Is this a better rifle than the 710? Thanks for the response

HARRY SACZ
01-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I was also looking at the 710, the model 70 won because it was lighter and just felt better to hold. But the 710 was 50.00 cheaper. But if you want to do alot of shooting the 270 WSM shells are about a buck each., not a gun you can afford to shoot all day!

Big Red Trike
01-31-2005, 05:31 PM
710 has a nylon insert in the breach I think....I hear very poor quality ....buy a gun, then buy a scope....packages are gimmicky and you get 2 poor quality items for 1 price....just my thoughts

BRT

Gmoney
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I think the exact same about "package deals"

m gardner
02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm a diehard Remington fan but I can't fall in love with the 710. The suggestion about the model 70 at Walmart is a sound one. God bless and good hunting!

rockey
03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
ya i would have to agree the model 70 or rem 700 adl are much better gun,you can get the adl for 30 more dolars,if your going to get an adl i would say try to get 1 quick, because thier not making them any more changed it to "sps" really the same gun with a hinge plate

amsorak
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Savage rifles aren't that badly priced either. I think if I was trying to fill a deer and coyote gun void I might go with a 25/06. Seems to work well for the friends who have one.

Rick
10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I would stay away from the 710. There have been quality control problems with them, and they just are not built or even designed well. THey were made to compete with the Savage and other less expensive rifles, but cannot compete on a quality level. Go with a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Savage or the new Stevens bargain-version of the Savage. Every Savage I have shot or heard about shoots very accurately.

Here is a sample group from my .223 Savage -

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/gallery/files/1/1/100_1625.jpg

buckshot roberts
10-07-2005, 06:54 PM
;) Hey, Rick I have an old model savage 99R in 300,sav, that groups like that.

Justincase
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
The remington 710 does not look or feel cheap and I do like the synthetic stock that will take a beating walking through the woods. a wood stock often comes on more expensive guns however gets stratches and dings and makes the gun heavier. The bolt and trigger could be a little smoother but the 710 is a very good gun for the money the only draw back is the recoil strong I've been told it does not bother me much but I've been told It kicks like a mule. I believe this is a result of a synthetic stock. I paid $356.00 plus shipping for my remington 710 at www.snipercountrypx.com (http://www.snipercountrypx.com) I bought the .300 win mag and them deer do back flips. I also believe they have a .270, a 7mm mag, and a 30-06 for the same price.

Brithunter
10-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Well if you like your rifle all well and good. But please don't tell me that the 710 does not look or feel cheap............ sheesh.

Now if someone offered me a brand new Rem 700 I would day thankyou and take it straight to the dealers to sell it as I do not like them one bit. However with a Rem 710 I don't think I could actually bring myself to accept it even as a gift.

On another forum a fellow who brought one tried to tell me how good it was. And I am having none of it. Now I see he has posted that after several hundred rounds through his 30-6 710 that the bolt stop has sheared off and the bolt come out when you cycle it. Guess what ? Remington ain't interested. Quality Bahhhhhh!

Mauserfan in TX
11-03-2006, 03:54 PM
The Savage 110 series is a good rifle to get if one is on a budget. I will never own another Remington as their customer service SUCKS. The suggestion of one in .25-06 is a good one also. Better yet get a Mauser.

KC7UXM
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
I have had the Remington 710 (7mm rem Mag) since it came out. I topped it with a Bushnell 3 x 12 x 50 Scope, Bipod and a Recoil pad. I have used it for Deer, Elk etc etc - I have experienced no problems whatsoever. I have sighted it in and at 200 yrds am in 1" groups. I am simple - If its less expensive ( notice I did not say cheap - That the 710 isn't) Why spend all the Large amount - If the rifle is built properly - It's acuracy is completely on the shooter - I have had not 1 single problem or issue

Brithunter
06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
May I humbly suggest that you frame your 710 Remington as it's fully possible that you have the only example that actually works :eek:

Why spend all the Large amount - If the rifle is built properly

Please don't insult us :stare: the 710 is not built properly and that's half the problem the other half is it's a darned poor design which is why they superceeded it with the 770. I am lucky as I have never come in contact with a Model 770 so did not get the bad taste in the mouth that it would undoubtly leave.

If I was in the market for a new rifle I would look at these:-

RWS Titan
CZ 550

Then possibly Ruger or a Savage. This is in the more budget end of the market and none would have drastic plastic either :greentongue: . Should the bank balance be higher then I would look at Steyr Mannlicher, Blaser or Krico in bolt actions but to be honest if I was spending that amount I really think I would be looking seriously at a nice Side by Side rifle from a maker like Chapuis as I once had the chance to shoot one of these in 8x57JRS and it was really nice, expensive but very nice, in fact I regret not making a deal to buy it even if it meant taking out a loan to do so, sadly they are well out fo my reach now.

Daryl (deceased)
06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I have experienced no problems whatsoever. I have sighted it in and at 200 yrds am in 1" groups. I am simple - If its less expensive ( notice I did not say cheap - That the 710 isn't) Why spend all the Large amount - If the rifle is built properly - It's acuracy is completely on the shooter - I have had not 1 single problem or issue

Well, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. It's your's, and if it satisfies your needs, then all is well.

I'm sure examples that actually work and are accurate do happen, but from what I've seen and heard they're more of an accident than anything that can be considered consistent quality.

I've seen them, and I won't own one. There are just too many quality built firearms out there to mess with what I see as an inferior product.

That said, if each of us is happy with what we use, then all is good and no reason to argue about it. ;)

Daryl

RatherBHuntin
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Please don't insult us :stare: the 710 is not built properly and that's half the problem the other half is it's a darned poor design which is why they superceeded it with the 770.

He has a .5 MOA rifle, who cares what the name on it is? If it said Tupperware on it and shot sub MOA it's a great rifle. If a company who doesn't know a thing about putting a rifle together can sell a .5 MOA rifle, and the standard from the "top end" folks is 1 MOA, makes you wonder why they charge so much and what exactly you're paying for.....other than the name.

Daryl (deceased)
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
He has a .5 MOA rifle, who cares what the name on it is? If it said Tupperware on it and shot sub MOA it's a great rifle. If a company who doesn't know a thing about putting a rifle together can sell a .5 MOA rifle, and the standard from the "top end" folks is 1 MOA, makes you wonder why they charge so much and what exactly you're paying for.....other than the name.

Daryl said:

Well, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

;)

Daryl

Brithunter
06-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Daryl,

We will have to disagree on this one, actually I wouldn't care it it put every bullet through the same hole I would not have a thing like the 710 or 770 in the house :greentongue: .

However this trhead reminds of a certain one on another forum where the posted claims that every rifle he owns will shoot groups that can be covered by a quarter at 100 yards. Hmmm I first took it to be 1/4" forgetting that you have a coin referred to as a Quarter :Banghead: . He was asking what bullet would be best for his new .300RSAUM Model 7 carbine:-

What brand is going to give the best accuracy?
I was told the 165 gr. is the bullet for the 300 SA UM's.
Can I load ballistic tips without having feed problems?
Whitetails up here are typically less than 200 lbs. so penetration
is not really a concern. The gun is a Rem. model 7 carbine.
I have been shooting factory rem. premier 165's with good luck, just want to
tighten up my 200 yard 2" group.(about 3 1/2" at 300 yds

When it was pointed out that a high intensity cartridge in a lightweight rifle is not the best combination for really fine accuracy and what it was delivering was fine for actual hunting this was the response:-

Well didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Lone Star, but any rifle I own
either groups smaller than a quarter at 100 yds. If it doesn't it will, or someone
else will own it. Confidence that the bullet goes exactly where you put it every time
is definitely a key tool in the field.

Now we all know that barrels and rifles are all different and what may shoot well in one barrel may not shoot so well in another of the same make. As I commented in this thread on another forum :-

"what's that smell? ...................... Ah I know Cows!

The whole smell is wrong just like those horrid new rifles the 710 & 770 which I would never never even accept as a gift. You might have noticed in my list of new rifles I would look at Saur was not mentioned, depsite being a quality make I have seen to many with pretty poor grouping ability :eek: , it might be the take down feature? but whatever it is I don;t want anything to do with them :greentongue: . Antonio Zoli make a rather nice budget rifle but importation is spotty to say the least. those I have seen shoot well and in fact friend has a one in 222 Rem. You will also noticed that I simply hate Plastic rifle furniture so far I have owned two rifles with it and kept neither long and both of thsoe were Nylon 66's, one a Remington Mowhawk the only Remington I have ever owned and the other a CBC copy
of it which was total rubbish. The plastic was cold slippery and just plain uncomfortable .......................... no thank you :frown .

A friend here loves them and has a couple with drastic platic stocks :frown one is a Tikka T3 Tactical in 308 and the other a Sako Finnlite also in 308. he is now looking at a Sako 75 in 338 Win mag not sure if that has plastic or not will have to wait and see.

Daryl (deceased)
06-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Daryl,

We will have to disagree on this one, actually I wouldn't care it it put every bullet through the same hole I would not have a thing like the 710 or 770 in the house :greentongue: .

We don't disagree, Brit. If you read my earlier post, I also said I wouldn't own one of them.

And I won't.

My comment that you quoted only implies that it's possible for even a cheap rifle to shoot decently. It's not something that happens often with rifles like the 710, but it can happen.

A rifle, to me, is mostly for utility. A thing of beauty as well, if it has nice wood. For a rifle that's going to get carried on foot, horseback, in a truck, on a quad, etc, I don't mind a decent plastic stock (my personal opinion).

Wood is good, too; I enjoy seeing/owning a nice piece of wood on a rifle as much or more than the next guy. After a lot of use though, there oft-times isn't a lot of difference in the appearance between wood and plastic. I own some of both.

That said, I believe in quality. If I'm going to put in the time, effort, and expense to plan and carry out a hunt, I don't want to fail because of poor equipment. I don't mind failing, but I want it to be because of my skills (or lack thereof) rather than a few dollars saved on a bullet launcher.

I've been carrying the same Browning A-bolt for about 18 years now. It's been my rifle of choice for just about every big game hunt/shoot that I've done in that time. It's ugly as sin, with it's black stock, matte finish, and black sling, but when it goes boom then something usually dies.

Bottom line, that's what counts. Personal choice in the appearance of a rifle is just that; personal choice. As long as it accomplishes the intended goal for the owner, and the owner is happy with owning it, then all is good.

There's no reason for someone to be unhappy with owning a Rem 710 just because you and I don't care for them. It's their rifle, so if it pleases them then all is good.

After all, I wouldn't sell my A-bolt just because a friend didn't care for it.

Daryl

Brithunter
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Hmmm never shot an A-Bolt, handled a couple but that's as far as it got.

fish3006
06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
The 710 is a toy. Stay away from it. Get yourself a good used Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 push feed or Savage 110 series or Ruger bolt - or an NEF Handi Rifle.

Paul Hoskins
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Brithunter, I thought you told us not long ago, you wouldn't do any more Remington bashing. Change your mind??? ...........Paul H

Brithunter
06-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Ahhh sorry bout that but the fact that Remington made this sorry piece of rubbish is a moot point really. It wouldn't matter if Kimber, Blaser of Holland & Holland made it I still would not give it house room :greentongue: .

As I said I dislike plastic funrniture of rifles and the fact that the only two I have every owned so equiped happened to a Remington Model 66 which was knackered. The list of problems with it are too long to relate here but the most serious problem found when I stripped it to clean out the action was a bulge in the barrel that had radial cracks all around it :eek: . So although I only paid about $25 US for it it cost me a lot more after buying a new barrel for it. The plastic felt cold, unfriendly, and slippery and I finally called it a day as the firing pin retaining cross pin kepp breaking :Banghead: so traded it off and got a new CBC clone of the 66 as it was dirt cheap and I soon found out why. It was a bit like those 710's :frown poorly made and dubious quality. It went to Africa as a dealer came round wanting cheep .22LR's to ship out there when I was int he local shop and I sold him it and brought an old BSA Super Sport which I still have and have had not problems with it. It not only looks better but it feels better and it fires every time :biggthumpup: Oh it was made in the 1950's around 56 I believe.

There you have it my experience with a Remington product and plastic stocks and the Model 66 was a much better design and better made that the 710 or 770 :greentongue: .

Of course one should not relate, let on or otherwise let on that a firearm is not as good as it should or could be especially if that firearms was made by Americas oldest firearm maker. This is the law according to Paul H :stare:.

Really must try and remember not to answer queries about guns :hanged: .

klallen
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Morning BH >> Wasn't aware of your distaste for Remington. Am I reading correctly, your start to finish personal experience Remington products is with the lowly 66?

I'm not what you'd call a Remington fan. I mean, if I'm gonna start a smithing project who's end product demands ultimate accuracy, it'd more then likely center around a 700 action (cartridge allowing). That said, off the shelf, I think they're no better or worse then other offerings.

But back to the topic regarding the 710's, we all know what they are / were. And I don't think Remington made any real effort hiding the thinking behind it ... produce a rifle in the most standard of cartridges with very low production costs, marginally functionality and useable accuracy in efforts to get a rifle with their name on it in the hands of anyone and everyone who didn't already own Remington. Pure and simple. Their niche certainly was not aimed at the educated rifle owner who had several choices to choose from in the safe. I consider them a starter rifle or a rifle built for the novice hunter who shoots once during hunting season just to fill a tag and throws the rifle in the back of the closet until the next season. Don't know many of those guys in my circle or regulars on sites like this.

I will say, hearing the distances most have talked about hunting here and similar sites, and how "close hunting" somehow is the true definition of hunting, the accuracy potential of the 710 (yes I've had a range session with one) would more then serve the purpose and do so rather easily. It don't take a whole lot to succeed at close range. And as the 710 so perfectly proves, it don't deliver a whole heck of a lot. >> klallen

Brithunter
06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi klallan,

Yes I have personally only owned one Remington rifle however I have shot others and no I don't like the 700 either it feels horrid to me. Friend had a 700 VSS in 223 that was accurate, he liked it, me I didn't. He had to give up shooting due to severe health problems so he sold them all. He had a Winchester stainless Model 70 Varmint in 308 which was quite nice to shoot, would have been much better with a proper stock, you know wood and not that awful plastic :greentongue: better than the 700 VSS, much better to me anyway.

Now if I wanted a semi auto .22 LR rifle right now I might be tempted by an Octagonal barreled Remington Speedmaster. When I first saw it it still had the Winchester small game scope on it. Like an A5 but it was not an A5 but some other Winchester scope. It's an old set up that's for sure but I don't have space for another really.

Hmmm I have said it before but one day I will get a nice Model 30. I knew, might even still be there :biggthumpup: , where there was a fairly nice. Need a good clean and some TLC Model 30 in 35 Remington but could not get a price on it :confused: perhaps I should phone again about it but realistically not quite yet still have the car to sort out. I do like the Older Remingtons pre 788, models like the 30, 30S and I suppose we should include the 720 & 721 but I don't know much about them never having seen one :shy: .

Replacement seat belt should be here either Tomorrow or Friday, darned Mouse chewed it, and with a frayed belt it won't pass the test then after the test it's a service, oil & filter change Gearbox and axle service then I can start tryign to put some funds aside for shootign and hunting.

recoil junky
06-05-2008, 01:00 AM
The same can be said for the 788's. Most people wouldn't "give one house room" either but now they are selling for twice or three times as they were new. Even in the "condition" both of mine are in you'd be hard pressed to get me to part with them. Now, I've only seen pictures of the rifles in question. They are ugly but then so was/is the 788. If Remington makes another mistake like the 788 was I'll be all over it. :greentongue:

RJ

Brithunter
06-05-2008, 03:17 AM
RJ,

Sorry to say the 788 whilst it may have homely styling :shy: it was made the proper way and was a quality made rifle not true with the 710 & it's so called upgrade the 770 :stare: these have stocks glued on and barrels glued into a tube that is not a reciever but a bolt guide. The bolt locks into the barrel extension. The guide is lined with a plastic sleeve which gouges up and the pathetic little bolt stop breaks off allowing the bolt to fall out of the rear. None of which seems are repairable as it's a throw away rifle.

Hardly what one would call the 788 or even the 700.

Paul Hoskins
06-05-2008, 05:19 AM
RJ, the 788 was a real good shooting rifle if the one I owned around 1964 was any indication. I sold it to my brother when I bought and built my second Hi Wall Win. It was a 22/250 and shot about as well as the Hi Wall in 225. Sure bwould like to have it back now. I see them advertized for 800 dollars in Gun Digest magazine. That's for a good used one. A friend in Maine had a beautiful 700 BDL in 22/250 that I wanted but he gave it nto his daughter for a deer rifle. ...........Paul H

Jorge in Oz
06-05-2008, 06:31 AM
How does the 710 Rem compare against the Mossberg ATR100. There's a lost of plastic around but you don't know which ones are worth buying, if at all. I like the Stevens 200 but I don't know about the other black rifles.:undecided:

I like the 788 they look sturdy and heard they shoot real straight. Heard that the bolts handles sometimes have problems. How true is that?

Brithunter
06-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Cannot comment on the Mossberg ATR as never seen one let alone handled or shot one :shy: .

davidlt89
06-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Jorge,
I am no gun expert but I have shot the mossberg ATR-100 and the 710. I would not buy a 710. I am a remington diehard fan, but I would never own a 710. the mossberg seemed much better built and was fairly accurate. In my opinion they are worth every cent. God bless.

recoil junky
06-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Well, I went down to the gunshop and held one of these beauties. :no:

One word: EEEWW!!!

Not knocking anybody who has one and can make it shoot, but I'm not going to waste my time or $ on one. I don't know what Remington was trying to do there.

RJ

Daryl (deceased)
06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Well, I went down to the gunshop and held one of these beauties. :no:

One word: EEEWW!!!

Not knocking anybody who has one and can make it shoot, but I'm not going to waste my time or $ on one. I don't know what Remington was trying to do there.

RJ

I don't know either, RJ. Near as I can figure, using one is a lot like using a plastic soda bottle for a canteen.

You can fill it up with ammo, go out and maybe shoot an elk or deer, and not have to worry about packing the rifle out if your load is too heavy.

Not sure if they're biodegradeble or not, but they look pretty close.

;)

Daryl