PDA

View Full Version : Semi-automatics Visual Comparison

Jay Edward (deceased)
12-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Alright...you've seen them in their separate groups. Now side by side. And thennnnnn...the next thread will be the cartridges!

So...you can have whichever one of these you would like to carry into the game fields. State which and state why.

No choosing on the basis of cartridge!

rockinbbar
12-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Jay,

I'll take the BAR. Proven design, accurate, scope mountable AND it looks good!...LOL.

Rockinbbar

Jay Edward (deceased)
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
OK...the next:

BCHUNTER
12-29-2004, 10:08 PM
I'Ll take the browning bar. I had one in the 7mmag love it,shoot well, but heavy

rockinbbar
12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
I'll take the Remmy out of those for the same classic reasons as I chose the BAR in the first set...;)

Rockin'

calestus
12-29-2004, 11:08 PM
I'll take that Dragunov. Because they are nifty! and I've been wanting one for awhile...guy at the range had one that was doing well on paper with handloads. I think they were designated marksman type rifles for the russians. Nice, accurate, and reliable. Qualities that make a good hunting gun. Also the issued scopes for these had a decent range finder for man sized targets that wouldn't be hard to adapt to woodland creatures.

Daryl (deceased)
12-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Can I just bring this one and one of y'all can have mine for an extra?

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Daryl

teddy12b
12-29-2004, 11:54 PM
I'd take the HK G3. To me that's just the best looking weapon on earth. I love to long sight radius. I especially like the feel of them. I have held them before, but I have never shot one. I would feel comfortable carrying that into the field. Maybe it's just my body type but it just fits me well.

Hey Jay, we haven't really mention how a persons frame can also determine their preference on firearms. Just a thought.

drinksgin (deceased)
12-30-2004, 12:12 AM
The remington in the second set is my choice, but , it still looks like a shotgun, not a rifle.
JMO.
Don

llanero
12-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Depending on the conditions, I'd take several of the above rifles, but I'd say I'd take the AR15-type rifle because all things being equal, it's the lightest one of the bunch and probably the second easiest to mount a scope on.

Flatlander
12-30-2004, 02:03 AM
BAR in '06 I 've owned one for 30yrs and it's a great gun:D

Muzzleblast
12-30-2004, 03:32 AM
In the first set, I would choose the Benelli, because of the one I have held...Loved the feel of it.

In the second set, I already do hunt with a Garand so thats my pick...Great rifle. Love the sights. An M1A would be much greater for accuracy though.

Fortunate Son
12-30-2004, 02:52 PM
As some of you may have guessed, we really like our Remingtons. However, I'll the the Druganov, but only if it is a genuine Soviet model. I've fired them with OPFOR in the Army and they were the most accurate semi-auto rifles I've used.

Rohann
01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I would take the Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova; Durable, accurate (for it's class), used world-wide. Pretty much the AK-47 of the snipers.

-Rohann

Muzzleblast
01-02-2005, 02:20 AM
I like the scope, that reticle looks really simple and fast to use...Wonder how it handles though...its a little long...so is a Nagant 91/30 though I guess, and that handles alright

147 Grain
06-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I'll take one of each and test them all out!

Seriously, concerning Remington semi-autos......

Remington 7400 in 30-06:

Initially, the first 50 rounds produced jams every third round, so I went to work on it by bedding the action / stock / installing a LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator / adjusting the trigger to 3 lbs., and dry-firing / working the action 1,000 times.

A major and very thorough cleaning of the action and chamber was performed. Did I say take your time and pay close attention to detail in cleaning the action / chamber / bolt?

Afterwards, the 7400 30-06 has not jammed in the last 200 rounds and is shooting groups that vary between 7/8" and 1 1/8" off a benchrest and 1 3/4" to 2" groups offhand - using 180-gr. Federal Solid Base rounds.

Speer Hot Core 165-gr. were slightly more accurate and shot the smaller groups, with the 180-gr.'s being the largest, but not my a large margin.

Will try some Nosler Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds next.

azhdryder
06-10-2005, 04:52 AM
I carried an AKSU in a specific game field once, it did exactly what it was supposed to, as did the AR/ M-16. I like the M1A too, but ammo is heavy when carrying more than 1 mag.

Alboy
06-10-2005, 07:44 AM
One handed carry is important in my hunting style while also needing port arms position often.

This question is non cartridge/caliber specific. From that I will extapolate that sights are the same, meaning you can scope or not scope etc as you see fit.

Out of both groups I would prefer the "civilian" models with no clip first, then the Garand, the cilvilian models with clips.

The main reason being carry balance. In my experience the high capascity clip model of weapon defeats a one hand balanced carry (with the exception of built in handles like the M-16). Talking about hunting game animals here so that many rounds is ridiculus. Reliablity/accuracy in the military models is more than adequate and is a non issue to me.

Now if I can only have one of all the above it would be the Garand. Yes I know that conflicts with my first paragraph but love is not logical. I think it is time tested as one of the most versatile, reliable and good looking guns of all time.

Hunterbug
06-10-2005, 12:08 PM
The Garand would be my first choice and the AR my second. The rest I would not want so someone else can have them.

gitano
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
As my daughters would say to one another, "You're not the boss of me." Or in the alternative, "You can't make me."

I don't like semi or full-autos for hunting. Period.

Paul

Kanibal
06-10-2005, 07:55 PM
For hunting purposes I have always wanted a BAR although I do like the Remingtons as a close scond. But, for just plain old fun I would take the Steyr Aug. Full Auto if you please and maybe attatch a nice 100 round drum. The HK is also very nice.

beretta96
06-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I think semi/full autos are the most fun at the range hands down. But in the field I'll take a bolt or lever rifle if you please. Most of the firearms on you list are bulky to me. I like lean and sexy. Although to contradict myself I held aSOCOM 16 that was lean &sexy but with that short barrel it seems more toward defense rather than hunting