PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 70

Bruce Baldwin
12-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,
My topic today is my Winchester 70. I have owned this rifle for over 39 years, and I am still confused about how to determine if it is the pre-64 or post-64 model. I understand that American Rifleman recently had an article on this subject. I have requested a reprint, but can anyone tell me of another source for this information? I will appreciate any help.
Thank you all.
Bruce Baldwin

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Kit
12-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,
My topic today is my Winchester 70. I have owned this rifle for over 39 years, and I am still confused about how to determine if it is the pre-64 or post-64 model. I understand that American Rifleman recently had an article on this subject. I have requested a reprint, but can anyone tell me of another source for this information? I will appreciate any help.
Merry Christmas to you, too!

Do you have photos of it to post? I'm just a novice minding the fire and coffee pot while the others eat dinner today.

I believe Rockinbbar has a pre-64. Maybe Hunterbug; I'm sure there are more here and you've got me all curious now.

I did manage to find some clues for your treasure hunt, things you probably already considered... but the photos are nice :D

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester.htm

links to some mighty fine photos.

Here is another link from a different forum which addressed the issue:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13813

Google has this THL forum's old posts cached - here are a couple links which mention pre-64:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:lH0B7_ZquJUJ:www.thehunterslife.com/forums/printthread.php%3Ft%3D2704+winchester+70+rifle+pre-64+thehunterslife.com&hl=en

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:R7Fm030BegMJ:www.thehunterslife.com/forums/printthread.php%3Ft%3D2704%26page%3D2%26pp%3D15+wi nchester+70+rifle+pre-64+thehunterslife.com&hl=en

------------------------------

Daryl (deceased)
12-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Here's a link (http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm) to a site that should give you an exact year of manufacture for your model 70 Winchester.

I ran my own model 70 .243 through and it came back made in 1956; one year after the introduction of the .243 Winchester cartridge. That goes along with other markings on my rifle, such as the steel butt-plate that was dropped (if my memory is correct) in 1959.

I also believe that pre-'64 model 70's have a "bell" in the barrel that holds the rear site and a forward locking lug, which offers support to a long barrel, causing it to shoot like a shorter "stiffer" barrel with the longer barrel's velocity. Mine has that bell, and while I believe that this was dropped in '64 with the advent of mass production, it may have been dropped previously to cut production costs.

Many sites vary a little on the exact year of production for firearms, but I've found the above linked site to be very accurate.

Take care,
Daryl

Hunterbug
12-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Kit is correct, I do have one, AZ has one too and I'm sure that a couple others do. The quickest and easiest way to tell is if it has a claw extractor like a Mauser. A Pre '64 will have a 24" barrel and a barrel bulge at the rear site like AZ mentioned if it is a standard weight, the feather weight will have a 22" barrel and no bulge. I do not remember the exact number where the pre/post 64 division is but I think that it's around 600,000. What caliber is it? I don't think that they made featherweights in calibers larger than 30-06.If you have a picture of the action we could tell right away.

M. R. Byrd
12-25-2004, 11:29 PM
I had a post in the classified looking for a pre 64 Model 70 stock. Thanks to the posts here, I took another look at the gun and ran the serial number through the link posted. It is a Winchester Model 70 XTR, manufactured in 1979. The stock has a cheekpiece and black forend tip. This gun is chambered Win .243 and I have a Burris 3x-9x Fullfield scope on it.

It was really a sweet shooting gun until I broke the stock. When I get some time I will try gluing the stock. It was such a beautiful gun, I was sick about breaking the stock. I am missing the gun now, I used it for both deer and coyote. I have an excessive number of coyotes at the ranch and I need to thin them. My only other rifle is a Remington 300 Ultra Mag. Just a little too much firepower for a coyote and at $1.80 a shot, a little expensive.

Thanks to all,

Maynard

Hunterbug
12-26-2004, 01:15 AM
I stand corrected, the post '64 began at 700,000; not 600,000.

Bruce Baldwin
12-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Hunterbug
MR Byrd
AzKIOTE

Thank you all for your assistance. I found that my rifle was manufactured in 1964, and that it probably is a pre-64 model from its serial number.
This is a great web site.
Thanks again,
Bruce Baldwin

Bruce Baldwin
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi Kit,
Thanks for your informatino. Sorry , I dont have an image of my 70.
Bruce

CAfrica
01-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Kit is correct, I do have one, AZ has one too and I'm sure that a couple others do. The quickest and easiest way to tell is if it has a claw extractor like a Mauser. A Pre '64 will have a 24" barrel and a barrel bulge at the rear site like AZ mentioned if it is a standard weight, the feather weight will have a 22" barrel and no bulge. I do not remember the exact number where the pre/post 64 division is but I think that it's around 600,000. What caliber is it? I don't think that they made featherweights in calibers larger than 30-06.If you have a picture of the action we could tell right away.
Hi HB,

Not quite all models had those bbl lengths. Mine is a 220 Swift and it has a 26" BBL (25.9 as a matter of fact). The Swift was one of the models dropped from the line when the change was made in 64 so if you have a Swift, it is almost certainly a pre 64.

Apart from the claw extractor, another easily identifyable feature is the "bulge" on the bolt. The pre-64's have this smooth bulge on the side of the bolt, this feature was dropped on the post 64.

C

Hunterbug
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
CAfrica is correct. There were a couple of models that had 26" barrels like the 220 Swift and the "Westerner" in .264 Win Mag which also had a 26" barrel.