PDA

View Full Version : Fish & Berries

Inukshuk
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
You all have to try this.
Boil a good tasting fish, then debone it. Put it in a bowl mixed 50% with either black or blue berries. Best with black berries though, but still good with the blue ones. and add a bit of salt to the mix. Yummy. Can't wait to get some more. :greentongue:

With maybe Salmon, Arctic Char, Speakled trout or similar.

Keep following this thread. I've got a few photos on page 2.

davidlt89
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
You lost me at the boiled fish part, no offense my friend. This is what I would do. Buy a piece of salt pork about the size of a car battery. Meticuously slice it into thin pieces. throw it in the pan until golden brown. Take fish and immerse them in the salt pork grease. Let them cook until they are also golden brown and crispy. watch the tails, when they become crunchy, the fish are done. No need to add salt since you have already done that naturally. Eat both together with numerous slices of bread and butter. MMMMM. this is best done with smelts!!!! God Bless.

Inukshuk
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The more methods the better. The way we do it is it's all mixed together like a salade. Now the pork greese. Wouldn't that take way the taste of the fish?? I know that my salade method you can realy notice the blend of the fish and berries independantly and well defined.

davidlt89
01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
No my friend, the grease does not take away any taste at all. I cannot fathom fruits and meats together. This is one reason I do not like mince meat. I love deer meat but will not touch mince meat. I give my dad the neck of all my deer and that is what he does with it. I am sure your methods over there are much healthier than mine. I am not a big fish fan to begin with, but I do eat it. God Bless.

Clueless
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I think he meant "broil" the fish. And I agree David I want my fish fryed. And no fruit about fish. Just don't use fat meat I use Olive Oil, eu natural, for all my frying.

When you get my age you don't want your heart screaming "help me, help me!!":eek:

davidlt89
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
broiling would make more sense clueles, thanks. God Bless.

Inukshuk
01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey
This was just my reciepy here. But each his own

davidlt89
01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Inukshuk,
did you mean "boil", or "broil"?

Clueless
01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
No offense intended Inuk. Remember we are from the Lower 40 and what we eat might not sound good to you.

I'm not sure how you feel about "crawdaddys" or "beans/cornbread", "collard greens" just to name a couple of things you might not be familiar with being eaten.."polk salad, hog jawls, branch lettuce and ramps." :biggthumpup:

Inukshuk
01-26-2008, 10:14 AM
David89

Boiled in water.

Clueless
Definitly a diffferent world here. Most country food is eaten Raw, frozen, boiled. But cooked in a few ways is good as well "steaks, roasts, etc.:.

Clueless
01-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Now I gots it!! You cook fish like what we call "stew". If we boiled fish we would have NO fish, it would be boiled away.

Your speaking of fish 4' long and weighing approx 15lbs and we're talking fish only 6" long and 1-2lbs. Big difference. :smiley:

The Cajun's in Louisanna make a stew from fish, head and all with everything but the "kitchen sink" added. I can't come up with the name.

And here if we were to cook a rock, gravy would cover it..!!:smiley:

Inukshuk
01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry about that. Forgot about you guys being southerners :greentongue:
Here's a shot of a medium size lake trout here with a couple other shots.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Inukshuk94/Fishing/DSC_2490.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Inukshuk94/Fishing/DSC_2462-1.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Inukshuk94/Fishing/DSC_2468.jpg

Along with some black Berries for the meal :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Inukshuk94/Plant%20Life/BlackBerries1.jpg

I'll have to post else where on fishing up here with a small story.
The biggest my wife got was a 39" lake trout ice fishing in spring.

Clueless
01-26-2008, 04:48 PM
now that's what I'm talkin about!! Nice fish!!

And them berries we calls them berries "huckleberrys" or "snake berries" or "blue berries". Rattlers like to hide in them bushes. :eek:

I's pickin your black berries one day in Canada, heard a sound...turned looked and a bear, back with white chest blaze, was sitting on the ground, gently, taking the berries off the bush and eating them nearly one at a time. :smiley:

Let me know when and where you post a fish story!!

Inukshuk
01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
now that's what I'm talkin about!! Nice fish!!

And them berries we calls them berries "huckleberrys" or "snake berries" or "blue berries". Rattlers like to hide in them bushes. :eek:

I's pickin your black berries one day in Canada, heard a sound...turned looked and a bear, back with white chest blaze, was sitting on the ground, gently, taking the berries off the bush and eating them nearly one at a time. :smiley:

Let me know when and where you post a fish story!!

I remember once berry picking with my parents when I was younger, many moons ago, that I could have sworn to this day that something tall furry and black was on the trail as well.

The berries are black not blue. The blue ones have a bit of a sweet taste when ripe, while the black ones have a tad bit sour taste but very good.

Think I will tell a short story or two on some fishing, but sadly without pictures. I think I'd have to have a guy come out with me all the time only to shoot with my camera.:smiley:

Clueless
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
We have a "black berry" but it grows wild on a vine instead of a bush. Makes a nice cobbler pie.

there was a "cannery" up there who made the best perserves from those blue/black berries I had ever eaten. They sold them by the can instead of jar. everytime I was there I brought as many cans as I could back home with me.

the bear was sitting astradle the bush eating the berries and seemed unconcerned he had company. A year or so before the field had been woods and had burned during a summer heat spell. The rail road track was close ..the one running all across Canada.

I go-ggled your area and Man brings back a lot of memories. Back in my "rough and ready" days!!:)

I don't need pics of your stories I have a past vision in my mind.

I remember drag hooking "hog suckers" (the southern name) for bear bait. Throw a three pronged hook in the lake and the "hog suckers" must have weighed 10lbs, laying on the bottom of the lake. I think it was in May.

Walleye? :eek:
Lake Trout:eek:
Northern Pike:eek:

Then those little things called "smelt?"..caught them by the trash bag full, fried and eat every bite, heads, tails and innards.:eek:

mtnpenny
01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I dont know what you all are fussing about with only frying fish. I thought it sounded good with the berries. Now I just want to see a pic of the finished meal.

Inukshuk
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
I dont know what you all are fussing about with only frying fish. I thought it sounded good with the berries. Now I just want to see a pic of the finished meal.

As soon as I can go out ice fishing after Blizzard season I'll try and post a picture of the finished product. As long as I remember before my stomach sees it. :happy: :D

davidlt89
01-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Inukshuk,
I used to fish lake trout extensively, but have not in awhile. what is considered a "big" one in your parts?

Clueless
01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
David over in "Fishing" he has written and has photos of fish he has caught.

Great Stuff!!:biggthumpup:

Inukshuk
01-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Inukshuk,
I used to fish lake trout extensively, but have not in awhile. what is considered a "big" one in your parts?

The biggest my wife caught was a 39" lake trout and others have caught close to 4ft. We use a heavy cotton or synthetic line for ice fishing and once I had one snap the line and take off with my louers etc. It's also happened several times that the line had to be cut cause it was to big for the 8-9" hole.
I've got a shot of this somewhere. Will have to find it.

davidlt89
02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I am very interested in seeing these pictures. I caught a 30" one in 1997 that weighed 14lbs. Just fit through my 8" hole. What does one of these 4' ones weigh? Instead of cutting the line, why did you not cut another hole right beside it? Don't know if I could bring myself to cut the line unless I had exhausted all other possibilities. But I am sure you know what you are doing. But anyway, picutes, pictures, and if you can find some, pictures please! God Bless.