PDA

View Full Version : Got one !

Antler3
10-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Got a young Jake awhile ago. Wish it had of been a hen but can't tell this time of year with the young ones. Will be good and tender though. Good luck to everyone that's huntin' Hope you get one !

Alboy
10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Congrats there Antler, any chace of some pictures or a story to go along with this?

Antler3
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry didn't get any pictures. I decided I would check some bottom fields and was easing through a wooded area that split two fields. When I walked out of the woods into the back field there they were already. The grass was tall so couldn't see them until I was standing in the wide open. They ran thier heads up and I saw them and froze. They went back to feeding and I stood there wondering what I was suppose to do now. Nothing I could do, so decided I would ease my gun to my shoulder then I slowley started walking toward them closing the distance. They let me close the distance about 2o more yards then they just lined up single file and walked toward the woods. I continued to walk toward them and then took the last one in line. He was flopping and making his way toward the woods. He got under the fence and into the woods by the time I made it there. I had to quickly roll under the fence and take another shot at him. I then ran over and placed my foot on his head until he quit moving. Gathered him up. Filled out my tag , carried him back to the four wheeler and headed home with him, which is about 1/2 mile away. Through him in the back of my truck and took him up to the little corner check station. Had to tell the ladies there how to check him for me LOL ! They didn't want to look at him so I offered to write there check # on the tag and one lady said she would do it that it didn't bother her. Finally got him checked headed home and dressed him out and put him in the freezer. Grabbed my bow and headed for the woods to bow hunt deer. Didn't see any deer but turkeys came close drawed back but must have alerted them cause they putted back into the brush. Tomorrow will do it all over again ha ha LOL !! Gotta love it !

Daryl (deceased)
10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Congrat's Antler3!

Enjoy the eating. ;)

Daryl

bowhunter 51
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Excellent, Antler 3:biggthumpup: ...Congratulations...BH51......................... ......

davidlt89
10-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Good Job!!!!!!!

RatherBHuntin
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
There's never a shortage of fresh game on your table is there Antler3? Hard to believe they have folks working at the check station that are afraid of a little blood...they might find some other place work

Jay Edward (deceased)
10-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Got a young Jake awhile ago.

Good for you A3! They're stuttin' and darin'.

Paul Hoskins
10-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Good for you Antler. Never killed a turkey but caught a big hen once but we won't go into that again. One of these days. ........Paul H

buckshot roberts
10-30-2007, 11:38 AM
:biggthumpup: Congrats.... A3... what ya use on him.... I have to set the week out.... put in to take off work.. :stare: got pulled.. to short handed... the good thing is... two others got hit also... so all three of us are going to go together when it opens again in Dec, OBTW this will be ones first time out ........ Ron

Antler3
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey there buckshot long time no-hear LOL !! Man that is too bad about work bumping ya'll...guess that's the way it rolls sometimes. Good luck to yuns in Dec. We only got a week here...I used my ol' mossberg 12 gauge with them thar three inch turkey loads....believe it's number 5 shot. I like the way that lil' shotgun patterns I got a full turkey choke in it and it does really good, I can blow 'em down out past 50 then run and gun 'em down. Kickin' lil' dude but I like it. I've heard the 31/2 inch is alot worse....the 3 does me fine ! Again good luck to yuns be safe and bring 'em home to the fry skillet !

davidlt89
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Antler3, I like that, blow'em down, run'em down then gun'em down. I just may try that now that I look back to the Tom I knocked down in May. I may have had time to run closer and fire another shot. I also remember standing in the woods when I first seen him. I thought long and hard about just running out of the woods like a mad man, closing the distance and maybe getting a ground or airshot. Did not seem like a good idea at the time, but I would of been no worse off than as I am now. I still have no turkey!!!!

buckshot roberts
10-31-2007, 01:30 PM
:) A3 it seems a numder of hunters are using the Ol' mossbergs... 3 inch....Ron

davidlt89
10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Ron,
I use the 3 1/2's in my mossberg. I love the shotgun, good ole 835.