PDA

View Full Version : goose

davidlt89
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, I bit the bullet and oredered some goose decoys and have been trying to learn as much as I can. I went twice in the early season with some friends, fired 9 times and got one goose. I took it home, breasted it out, cut it into strips and fried it. I thought it was pretty good but I am wondering how some of you seasoned goose hunters cook them. Any and all reciped would be welcomed.

Smokepole
10-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I posted this awhile back.
I found this recipe for goose stew and gave it a try. It is for 8-10 people so I scaled it back abit.

I took two goose breasts and made a “goose stew” last weekend. It was something new to try with the meat. This recipe calls for 4 breasts but I didn’t want to waste the meat if it didn’t turn out good.

I also reduced the salt soak to ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of instant meat tenderizer. All I can say is that my gang ate the entire pot of stew. Next time I’ll have to make a larger batch.

Recipe:
· Soak breasts from four geese overnight in 1/3 C. salt and 2 TBS baking soda.
· Sauté 1 large onion, stalk celery in 4 TBS butter for a few minutes.
· Carve breasts into 2 in. pieces and sauté in the onion/butter mixture for 10 min. at medium to high heat.
· While goose is sautéing, add 2 TBS Worcester sauce and liberal amount of garlic powder. Also add small amount of hot sauce to taste.
· Add 48 oz. can beef consommé (that's the secret) and simmer one hour. During this process, add salt to taste.
· Add vegetables (we use potato, turnip, carrots, cabbage and parsnips) and simmer at least 30 minutes.
· Serve with rolls or bread and ask your guests how their wild beef stew tastes. Even your non-goose eaters will love it! The above recipe would feed 8-10 people.

Sincerely,
Smokepole

davidlt89
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
thanks smokepole, I will let you know how it turns out!!! God Bless.

Inukshuk
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's how we do it all the time as a stew.

The whole goose cut up, add small carrots, cut up potatoes, and rice when almost ready. Then dump it all on a big tray on the floor, site around and jump in. Not literaly jumping in.