Call your shot

Started by recoil junky, May 29, 2007, 08:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Ok I know he's still in velvet but imagine if you will it's mid October and..............................................................

You are at recoil junky's house and you spot this guy from the deck.......................and for some foolish reason I'm letting you shoot it. You've put the sneak on  him and got within 289 yards (Leica Rangefinder says) when the does busted you and they are on their way to Steamboat Springs, in a hurry.

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Daryl (deceased)

Hmm....

There's a low ridge with a draw beyond it not far behind that buck.  If he goes straight away, the only shot might be the back of his head and/or his rear end.  Either of these isn't good, especially on a moving animal.

Many years ago I made a similar shot on a lesser buck.  Nothing but his head and neck sticking out of a tree at about 250 yards, so I broke his neck; I had a good log for a rest.

If I had a decent rest, or was able to get into a comfortable prone position with no grass in front of me, I'd take him as he stands.  If not, I'd have to wait and see what happens.

Shooting from a sitting position, I'd want a bit more margin for error unless I had shooting sticks with me (likely).

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hiker

RJ, I'd get my rifle up on my stoney point shooting sticks and get my crosshairs locked on him. When he bolted after the does, I'd snort and try to stop him. If he doesn't stop, RJ will have a nice buck come next year.

Hunterbug

I don't like the shot here even with my Harris Bipod. I'll be ready incase I can stop him when he moves out but if he doesn't stop then he wins; for now. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

bowhunter 51

Doe busted within 289 yrds.?...........They'll be some slow walkin' and low
talkin' upon the return to the deck.........I don't slang lead on moving
targets at that distance:undecided: .......................................................................BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

No shot for me at 289.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Nope not for me either, I'd want to see more of the vital area before considering it.
Go Get them Floyd!

Alboy

No shot for me at 289 either.

What is the possibility of flanking the bunch to be in that draw that was mentioned when the gang comes over the hill?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: