Should I Bait for yotes?

Started by huntallday, November 28, 2004, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntallday

I have been calling now for about a year with a rabbit in distress call and used some tapes too.  I havent had any success. Well, one time we saw eyes but I have still had no confirmed yotes.

I hunt at night so thats why I wondered about baiting.  If anyone has any experience with baiting for yotes some tips would help, lol.

Gmoney

What part of the country are you in?  I have not had a lot of success calling in yotes at night....they move around too much and its hard to shoot a moving target at night.... try calling in the early mornings and right before dusk.... these times of the day have worked for me....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

huntallday

Yes it is very hard to shoot at a moving target at night.

We are located in Central Texas and we have a ton of cottantail rabbits.  I just cant see why the call isn't working.

Gmoney

I am in cen-tex as well...I am in Mason County as well....let me know where you are and what types of vegetation and cover you have and we'll talk strategy.... G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

huntallday

Hood County.  About 1 hr south of Ft Worth.  We have  a lot of coastal fields, like hay land.  Some pretty heavy timber and hills.  The field I hunt is an old field we used to get bailes out of but stopped doing that and started buying instead.

redrover

I tried baiting last spring at the very end of our season on March. I had a roadkill I tied up into a tree. We let it sit a few days and hunted it in the evening after work. Our first night there by partner had about a 200 yard shot and missed. I couldn't see the coyote till he pointed it out . His shot was pretty close though, just a little high.
two nights later I went back and had about a 125 yard shot with no moon and no stars. he was going toward the bait in a  start-stop  fashion. My shot was when he started moving again then I took four more whle he ran faster and faster.
After that they quit hitting the bait (I don't know why LOL).
After a couple of weeks I took the bait down from the tree and came back the next day. the bait was taken that night and totally eaten.

I am going to try meat scraps from the grocery store this winter as I will be able to get them by the box as often as I like that way I can keep feeding them.

It is the in-the-dark-shooting that is the challenge though. Depth perception is tough at night; even with a full moon and our gun range closes at dark so practicing is tough too.

Good luck,
Redrover

Gmoney

Well, it is still a little warm to call in Texas right now...they aren't responding to a call very well
-Greg

huntallday

They are responding quite well now.  It just finished snowing and hasn't been above freezing for three days.

Tags: