Anyone use electronic callers for predators? What kind?

Started by mbunch, January 24, 2007, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbunch

Just wondering what kind of e-callers everyone is using. I built my own and thought i would show you. Just plug your MP3 player in and the sounds come out loud and clear. I am having some issues with it but it is battery amperage problems and easy to fix.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/m1bunch/ecall2.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/m1bunch/ecall3.jpg

RatherBHuntin

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

mbunch

Not much compared to the Foxpro's and other commercial units.

Speaker - $20 @ radioshack
Battery - $15 @ Battery Outfitters
Amplifier - $20 @ Canakit.com (item# is uk193)
MP3 player - $0 my kids already had one
Misc. - $15 for parts and pieces (terminal ends and power switch)

You can download calls for the mp3 player from VarmintAl.com and other places

Like I mentioned, i am having some trouble with this one. I think i need a little bit larger battery and i did not use sheilded cable which should help with the static too.

Go ahead with more questions if you have them

M. R. Byrd

mbunch-
I have a Phantom Predator call. It has a bull horn and pre-programmed calls-coyote howls, coyote pups, rabbit distress, fawn distress, baby pig distress, feline distress, bird distress, rodent squeaks, crow gathering, thrashing leaves and ground hops(can be added on top of other sounds). You can raise and lower the volume and adding the thrashing leaves of ground hops really adds.

I used the call just the other day with really good success, but it isn't what you think. My helper and I get out to the ranch to feed and I have a letter addressed to my wife and myself from City Hall. It strikes me strange that I would be getting a letter from City Hall, so I open it immediately. It was the dreaded "Chicken Letter". It seems that I have made it on  City's "Chicken Sheet". Inside the letter was addressed to an address similiar to my shop in City and a copy to me as landlord. I know they have made a mistake on the address and I own no rentals, so I decide to have a little fun with the "never wrong" bureaucrats. The letter states that keeping chickens inside the city is a violation and must be corrected immediately.

I have dealt with the city for a number of years since I am a licensed general contractor and I have felt the bureaucratic hand on my shoulder many times, so I guess I was feeling a little mischievous and the Predator call came to my mind. The bird distress really sounds like a bunch of baby chicks. I have some brothers that could pull this off with a straight face, but I really don't know if I can. I call the man at city hall, but get his voice mail and I leave him a message that I need to talk to him about my chickens while I have the call going in the background. I am pretty pleased that it worked out that way and I will wait for him to call me back. My helper adds to this by suggesting that I tell the man that my hogs ate the chickens. My feeble brain is thinking, but I really don't know if I can pull that off, but the pig distress is really so realistic. I wait and no call back, so I call him again and again get his voice mail and again leave a message with the birds chirping in the background.

There was still no call by lunch time, so after our lunch break, I called back again and this time I got him. I think all the dry runs had gotten me prepped for the real thing. I have the birds chirping in the background and he stearnly informs me that I can't have chickens in the city limits. I said, "Oh, you don't need to worry about the chickens, because the hogs ate them" and I switched from the birds chirping the the pig distress.  He answered with a voice that got noticably higher in pitch, saying, "You can't have hogsssss!". I said, "I can't have hogs at my farm?" "Oh, you can have hogs at your farm, but you can't have chickens or hogs at your rental", he replied. I told him that I didn't have a rental in the city and he informs me that I do and I better get it corrected. Seems like I would know if I owned a rental, better than he would, but finally he agreed to prove to me that I did. Later he calls me back to tell me that I didn't own a rental.

I know, I keep telling myself, "I shouldn't have done that, I shouldn't have done that, I shouldn't have done that." But boy did it feel good and I can still hear his voice rising to a squeek when he said, "You can't have hogssssss!"

Well, that is my confession for the week.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

mbunch

nrthrn_maine_hunter

very funny!

use the fox pro here, used my father's for the past several years (dont remember the brand of them) and have had much better luck with this one.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Gunslingergirl

We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

babbyc1000

nice one!

i love doing stuff that like, especially to "the powers that be" when they mess up. if you mess up and its your fault, theyll bury you. but if they mess up, its still your fault and theyll still bury you! nice to see someone getting them back for a change!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

RatherBHuntin

Maynard, that wasn't nice.......but funny as heck and hopefully the young bureaucrat learned some humility.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

We like to use electronic on crows and coons. Have not had much luck with coyotes yet but look to change that at thenew pig lease. We already saw one but was not near as ready to shoot as he was to leave.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Gmoney

Al,

Whereabouts is your new pig lease?
Saw the pics of your pig, he was a good sized one.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

bowhunter1

i use a johnny stewart digital game call and it does great have called coyotes, bob cats and alot of crows just got a new memory card for hogs will try it this weekend but i love my call...

Tags: