One more....

Started by Gmoney, January 20, 2007, 05:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

John and I decided to do a bit of calling this afternoon....we both have no issues at at doing that....
Is was off and on mist all day today and we were wet and cold.....
Our first stand was overlooking a very large lake, probably 40 acres or so....I did the calling with the scattergun, John with the AR.
Decided to go yellowhammer this time here as last time the rabbit had no takers. Set the decoy, out got everything set up and let her rip. 45 seconds into the sequence I saw a coyote around 300 yards or so away coming hard....He hopped a little drainage going into the lake and stopped hard looking at the decoy or at John getting his gun up...He was facing us at around 150 or so and I whispered let him keep coming. Right when I got done saying this the AR spoke and the death spin commenced....John put a finisher in him to make sure....Finished the sequence with some pup yips and some rabbit but no more takers...He was a BIG, HUGE male...minimum of 45 or so I reckon...Dare I say 50, the pics do not do it justice....

Second stand was in an area that just had the "critter feeling" where the wind, topography, and brush laid out perfect for you....This time it was a cottontail and after 20 minutes had no takers. The woodpecker worked so well earlier so I put it in. 3 or so minutes later on a little ridge to our left I saw a head sticking above the grass. I thought it was a cat at first since it was so skittish and it took so long and I whispered to John to swing his gun around. Whatever it was was either eyeing the decoy or us so I told John he better take him. At the shot I realized it was a coyote and the death spin started again along with some snarls and welps. He spun for a while then ran in a big circle out in front of us. He looked in too good of shape to me so I told John to commence firing. He did. I "lost count" how many more rounds were fired at a spinning, running coyote, , but the coyote then runs in a direct line about 80 or so yards in front of us left to right headed to a thick briarpatch. I wanted in on the action with the scattergun so I let rip with some #4's in hopes of a head/neck/spine shot...the coyote kept running as it was too far with the shotgun...

The next part was pure heck as I literally crawled throught the thickest briarpatch I've EVER seen.....45 minutes later, drenched in sweat while following a good blood trail I decide the coyote is long gone....

Stand 3 was dry as was stand 4 but as we were loading our gear up in the truck 3 packs started yipping within a half mile of us...

So tomorrow at first light guess where we'll be?

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

I think ya'll shot someone's german sheppard pup....Cool story and pics
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Sounds like another fun day!
Have fun in the A.M.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Tags: