1st yote!

Started by nrthrn_maine_hunter, December 28, 2006, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Ill start last week.  Last Thursday I went out predator calling in the a.m. and called in a coyote in a field not too far away.  Had the caller in the middle of the field and I was on one of the long sides of the rectangular field, in line with he caller which I had set on the jackrabbit sound.  A coyote came out directly on the other side of the caller, about 120 yds away and was just sitting in the edge in some brush surveying the field.  I took the front on shot and missed a shot that I definately should have made, but it happens and I have to live with it!
     Well I went out again this am, exactly a week after the miss, with a friend of mine to do a little calling before he had to be to work at 7:30, so I met him at 6:30 in the driveway to his work (a farm where we were going to hunt).  We went to a back field, the same field he had arrowed his 6-pointer this fall, and set up with my FoxPro digital caller about a hundres yards away from me or so and decided to again use the jackrabbit and after about 15 minutes or so, if nothing came in, I would change the sound with the remote.
     Well I let the jackrabbit scream for about a minute or so then muted it for about a minute.  Turned the caller on again and after about another minute, saw a dog come running throuth an old trail through the woods and into the field.  It was on Von's side, but I turned myself around, flipped the top of my mittens open, turned off the safety(all the while waiting for von to shoot), got the dog(which I thought was a fox) in my scope, realized it was a coyote, figured Von either didnt see it or couldnt shoot, nestled the crosshairs of the Weatherby Super Vatmint Master 22-250 behind the shoulder and squeezed it off.  The 55gr ballistic silver tip anchored her, she didnt even twitch.  The pics show the exit wound which is surprisingly small as these bullets generally make a mess of a fox.
     I was very surprised that these coyotes responded so well to the jackrabbit because there are no jacks for many miles, definately none in Maine or any states surrounding, I think it sounds an awful lot like a fawn, so I think that might be the reason.  What ever the reason, the caller works great, the gun hit where I wanted it to, and I only had to sit in the 7-degree air for less than 5-minutes.

Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

davidlt89

Save some for saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you gonna show everybody the fancy smancy new T/C prohunter your parents got you for christmas? (yes, I am a little jealous)
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Congrat's on the coyote!

For a few minutes of reading there, I wasn't sure if you were hunting coyotes, foxes, dogs, or yotes (whatever a "yote" is?).

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

Good job. Are you going to have it mounted or just tan the fur? Is the VW your hunting vehicle? :D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Dave,
There are plenty out there for us on Sat.

Daryl,
Just pick one, they'll all do, and a "yote" is short for coyote:)

Hunterbug,
Just skin it and tan it, as with all the fox in the past.  And no the VW was in the driveway next door when taking the pics:), Ford F-150 takes me where I need to go

Thanks for all the kind words guys!
God is Love!
Justin

Daryl (deceased)

NMH,

Not to pick on you, but I never cared for calling coyotes anything but coyotes.

I use dogs (airedales) on coyote stands, so could you imagine if I said to someone "Shoot that dog!"...and they did?

The first time I ever heard the term "yote", my new brother-in-law wanted to call coyotes with me (I'd been hunting them for about 10 years at that point), and said "LEt's go shoot some yotes."; and I had no idea what he was talking about.

I guess I still get the same knee jerk reaction when I read it.  Not your fault, just my own little quirk. :)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

nrthrn_maine_hunter

No worries, I dont like to call them that either, just a lazy typer so I like to use abbreviations when possible.  Also hate to type the same word over and over again, gets repetative for readers.

Tags: