Our 2006 Colorado Muley hunt.....

Started by Hiker, November 10, 2006, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiker

We hunted a second choice area this year. We applied for a 4th season tag as our first choice but we didn't have a enough PP's to draw. We hunted hard everyday and covered many miles but only saw a few bucks. The bucks we saw were smaller ones and we wanted to get a "shooter" buck, 24" or larger. The night before we came home I decided to shoot this buck and I'm thankful to shoot a muley again, as it's been a few years since I've taken one. Last year I ate tag soup for both Wyoming and Colorado and really wanted to get a mature muley but that will have to wait until next year. I shot him right at last light, I knew I hit him hard but I couldn't find him. Cort and I zigged zagged back and forth for 400-500 yards with our flash light but could not find him. We like to use this grid pattern and it has worked for us in the past but not this time. We decided to go to camp and come back at first light and try to find him. In the morning Cort went hunting and I went looking for my buck and around two hours later I found him. He was a tenth of a mile away from where we gave up the night before. I gutted and skinned him out. We decided to quarter him and haul him out rather then dragging him 1 mile "all uphill". It was a good workout and a good test for my pelvis, which was really busted up a few years ago in a car wreck.

Hunterbug

That's a nice deer. He may not be 24" wide but he has good mass and good height. I haven't shot a buck since '03 but I'm building up points for a really good unit. Maby next year I'll go to a place with a second choice just to really do it again.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Vermonster

Congrats Hiker!!!!  That's a fine looking deer!!!!! :cool:

klallen

Great looking animal, HIKER.  I really like the look of those high, tight horns.  Nice pics of the country you hunt, as well.  >>  klallen

M. R. Byrd

Hiker,
Nice deer and thanks for the story.

It's 6:30AM on Monday and I am headed to your fine state, just as soon as I can finish up some details in the office. I understand the first six miles up the side of the rock to my camp is pretty slick from rains, so we may lay over and hit it before daylight in the morning when hopefully it is frozen.

Glad you filled your tag.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Hiker

Thanks! HB, Vermonster & klallen.

Maynard, Thanks! I hope you and Mark have a great time and a exciting hunt. We're looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the photos.

Tags: