2004 Colorado Deer Season

Started by bearzden, November 18, 2004, 06:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearzden

Well the 2004 Colorado Season for deer ended with a bang....really we did pretty well. here a a couple of pics from the better bucks we took during the 4th season here. The one in the back of the pick-up was wearing a "collar" that the division of wildlife put on him 2 years ago so we think this is only a 3-3 1/2 year old buck.
My other buddy took this monster on the next to last day at a little over 100 yds. He green scored right at book minimum 189 1/8, we'll have to see how he dries for the 60 days and an official measurement. Good thing is that after the season, we saw 4 more bucks chasing does bigger than both of these...can't wait 'til next season!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hunterbug

Thoes are some big bucks, great job. I didn't draw a deer tag this year and between work and school it'll be a few more years before I get out for deer so I'm going to build up some points and hope to get into a good unit and get some bucks like thoes.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

ShadowRider

Those are some great lookin bucks, bearzden! Congrats on getting those and thanks for posting the pictures. I loooove to look at big mulies. How about a story or two to go along with the pix?

rockinbbar

Yep, those are terrific bucks...
I used to see bucks now & then like the one on the bottom, just not lately...

Congrats to the hunters! Post the stories...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

bearzden

Here's the story to go along with the pics...The "Collared Buck"... I saw this deer while scouting during the previous season in the same area he was eventually taken, he was with 3 other smaller bucks in a remote area of the ranch. We watched this deer with the spotting scope from almost 1000 yards on at least four different days prior to our season. He was using the same drainage to get from his bedding area to feed. On the second day of our season just before dark I found him coming up out of that drainage with 2 other bucks, I shot at him at a little over 300 yards with my .300 Win. Mag. but missed him clean. he just walked back down the drainage and dissappeared into the dark. I told my friend about the shot and he wanted to go back there and see if he could find the buck the next morning. The rest as they say is history....He found the buck that morning with several does on the opposite side of the rim. He stalked up to the him to within 80 yards and this time the buck wasn't so lucky, one shot with the .243 put him down, his best buck to date.

The bigger buck,which we had not seen during our pre-season scouting trips, was pretty much in the same area as the collared one. By the time my buddy located this deer most of the bigger bucks in the area had gotten the itch to find does and seemed to be coming in from all over the county. But with only 2 days left in our season the pressure was on to find and get within range of one of the big boys. My buddy was stalking through some chest high buckbrush along the top of a big bowl when his buck jumped up with 4 does about an hour before dark. The does weren't sure what was wrong and didn't pin-point him, but decided they should try and sneak to the next ravine to the north. As they started to move out the buck followed, never even looking in my buddy's direction. He stepped into an opening in the brush at a little over 100 yards and my friend shot just as he was stepping into the ravine. After the shot he dissappeared. When does came out of the other side of the ravine and moved further north the buck didn't come out. When my buddy went and looked into the ravine the buck was piled up at the bottom. The shot had cut his heart in half, he was dead before he even hit the ground.
And to make a long story short...I took a 23" wide 3x3 at midday the next day, not a monster, but will be good eating. He did have 14" back tines, so that about it. I'm still scouting and will keep you posted on what's running around for next year.
Thanks for this great site where hunter can do what they do best...swap stories and talk about the big one that got away, and next season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daryl (deceased)

bearzden,

Thanks for the pic's and the story.  Those are some nice bucks!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bearzden

I went back to the same area of the ranch that we took those bucks to do some coyote population control today. I did get one 'yote (all I saw)...but I did see 9 bucks, 4 together with does...looks like the main rut is over, but some real good prospects for next year. Two of these bucks were thick and wide...at least 27" and they were tolerating each other faily well. now I can't wait 'til they drop their horns...looks like I'll have to take my impatients out on the rabbits and coyotes.
That is all...
Bearz
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yotecurhunter

I was out yote hunting this weekend and saw the coolest deer.  Ever seen a 30" wide 20 some odd inch high 2 point?  I'm sure he was a really old buck that started reverting.  We wateched him for a long while and just couldn't believe he had only two points on each side.  He had heavy antlers.  It's possible that his back point might have slightly forked, but it might not even been able to call it a point.  Nice bucks you guys got.  I post mine.  Nowhere near as big as yours.
Sean G. Harrison

mhpoole

Tags: