Scope choices....

Started by Gmoney, August 13, 2006, 05:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

Well folks, I have decided, through trial and error, on the "perfect" scope set-up for varmint hunting in light and in night conditions.....

A 4x12 variable just fits about perfect in my opinion...

The 4x does real good in night conditions or shots within 100 yards and the 12x can reach out during daylight conditions with ease....

Have used scopes from 1.5x6 to 6x18 and the 4x12 variable does it for me in my application...

What do ya'll feel is the "perfect" setup for ya'lls individual conditions?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Every centerfire rifle that I own right now is topped with a 3-9 Leupold, and they've always worked well for me. 3x is always what they're set on for calling/hunting, and I can trun them up for longer shots if needed.

If I did more "varmint" hunting, like p-dogs and such, I'd likely want a bit more power.

I'm looking to upgrade one scope, and that's on my 7mm mag. I'm thinking that the 4-12 might help with IDing trophy quality of an animal just before the shot (like making sure that's the same buck I was looking at through the spotting scope/bino's). I learned the value of that in Mexico last January. My brother was watching through high powered bino's at the two bucks, but without that I'd have had a hard time telling the slightly smaller buck from the good one.  500 yards +/- is a long ways to try to judge.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Just .02's worth here....

All my rifle sport a Leupold 3-9X40. Except my .223 sniper rifle, which has a Leupold 4-12x40 on it.....The scope is clear, holds zero excellent, and is great.

The one factor that I see is the 3-9's have a much less particular quick field of view when trying to make fast shots, when it's inportant to get the target ib the crosshairs in a hurry.
That is due only to the added magnification.
I don't really notice much difference in the scopes on 9 or 12 power as far as animal identification at longer ranges.....But the difference is very noyicable when you need quick target aquisition.;)

If I had my druthers, I'd stuck with the 3-9x40 leuppy...:)

Been there & done that.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

M. R. Byrd

Greg,
I have a Shepherd Scope sitting on top my 300RUM and I like it. When I get a serious varmint rifle, I would like to try the Shepherd 6-18 Varmint scope.

See website
http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

klallen

I like higher magnification.  After I've set up the mils the way I want them on the variables, the scopes are usually sitting somewhere in the 18x - 20x range.  This power setting covers lots of needs for me.  From the closer stuff at 350 - 400 yds. as well as the extreme distances.  Last weekend I was working with a fixed 20x at 2100 yds. and rockchuck sized targets were easily aquired.  That is until the heat set in and the thermals started wreaking havoc.  Was looking and I guess the smallest scope I've got is a 4-16x on the .17 HMR.  Certainly to much magnification for a rimfire but it does the job, none the less.  Later.  >>  korey

rockinbbar

Kinda all depends on what & how you are hunting.

If you are shooting praire dogs at 450 yards, you need the magnification.....watch out for the heat waves as klallen said...;)

If you are using the rifle for deer or coyotes, in not so "open" country, or where you will get a shot that isn't far away, then the eye placement you have to use on a high magnification scope is a LOT tighter than on a lower magnififaction scope, therefore if shooting a running animal at close range, or through brush, you might lose critical seconds trying to "find the scope picture".....:)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Loadstar

i have a 3x9 Nikkon Pro Staff on my .243 and it does ok for me i know people that like was said was alittle over kill on .17 hmrs but so far i havent had any problems out of the nikkon

Mauserfan in TX

I don't really have a dedicated varmint rig. I have two that i guess would work, One that i use when i try for coyote or such is a AR-15 carbine with a see-through mount and a fixed 4 power. Most critters i have taken with the thing have been under 75-100 yds. I mostly hunt in heavy wood-swamp areas. My 6.5 Swed has a 3x9 40mm Simmons on it and i have very pleased with it. So far.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

hunter76

I Have A 4.5by14 Power Sitting On Top Of My 223 Rem And Am Looking At Getting A 6-18 Power   For My 243 Wssm And My 7mm Ultramag

buck_hunt_63

buck_hunt_63

the sweet seventeen is a great scope and the 17 hmr is a fun and very acurate varmate gun. from coyotes to armadilas I have the 3x12x40mm.

Jay Edward (deceased)

I have an old steel tube Weaver 12X I use on my .22-250 and prefer that to the variable.  I like to use binoculars for my 'search' as I do not like to end up pointing a rifle at some other hunter.

I know that variables have been (and still are) the hot riflescopes for most but I sure do like short, high grade, fixed power, low weight riflescopes.  For most hunting with a cartridge rifle... I'd always opt for the almost straight tube 3X or 4X.

This doesn't work well for long range shooting but my hunting areas are invariably around 100 to 200 yards max.  When I used to hunt Antelope seriously, I used a fixed 6X.  I do have a Leupold 2-7X but leave it on 7X for my 7x57 Mauser.

Long range varmint... like I wrote above... is a 12X on a varmint barrel Remington in .22-250 Classic.  It's a long slim scope as I do my best to avoid scopes with large eyepieces or objectives.

davidlt89

I have a nikon buckmasters 4.5x14 on my .223 and I love it. magnigication is there if I need it. I don't like the fixed power just because I like having a choice. just my opinion. Godbless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

Back in my varmint hunting days, I used a Litschert Super Eagle in 15 power, in Unertl mounts on a Hi Wall Win. chambered for the 225 Win. cartridge. This outfit was and still is super accurate. It accounted for over 1,000 groundhogs back in 1964. I love the old Litschert aand Unertl varmint scopes but the Unertl's were on the heavy side. This rig weighs around 12.5 pounds. Paul H

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Well, I also believe that a 4.5-14 scope is the perfect all around scope.  Tops my 17 HMR, my 300 WSM, my 257 WBY.  The other scopes I have are a 6.5-20 on my 22-250 and my 30-378 WBY.  And a 2-8 on my .22LR
4.5-14 gives the perfect range for all appications.  If it's too close for 4.5 Ill use a shotgun.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Tags: