A Good Day! (Pictures now added)

Started by Daryl (deceased), November 06, 2004, 07:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

Today dawned with some high but constant clouds looming over southeast Arizona, with no wind worth mentioning; a perfect day for calling predators.  The trouble was, I just got back late last night from Rockin's place over in New Mexico so I needed to catch up on some things.  About mid-day I called Marc to see if he could talk me into going calling, but his wife said he was working across the street.  But see, Marc is one of my calling buddies that, like me, can be ready to go in an instant!

This evening we finally got together and decided to try a stand.  We wouldn't have time enough for more than one or two, but we decided to try it anyway.

We headed east, and finally set up on a little flat top, placing the e-caller a little lower on the flat where we could see anything approaching.

About 7 minutes into the stand, I caught movement just to my right a little, going toward the caller from right to left.  The animal was moving slowly toward the caller, but was in the open and could spot any movement by me.  I could see that it was likely going to pass behind a low mesquite before long, so I eased the safety off and waited.

When the animal passed behind the mesquite at about 45 yards, I raised my .17 Remington to my shoulder and sighted on the left side of the bush.  I could see the bobcat through the scope, and just as he was about to come into the open for a shot, Marc's .223 cracked and I watched the cat drop as I heard the bullet impact, and watched as she got back up and ran off a ways.  I could tell she was hit hard so didn't bother shooting it again.  Marc wasn't so convinced I guess, because he shot a second time and missed that one.  Good thing though, because she only went about 50 yards before piling up.  It's sure a pretty cat, and pretty big for a female.

We got her back to the truck and decided we MIGHT have just enough time for one more stand...

We drove down the road a ways, parked the truck, and then headed over to a wash a little ways off.

The caller played until almost dark, then Mark switched it to some coyote howls.  Since I had an open reed Sceery hand call with me, I joined in with the e-caller sounding for all the world like a very young coyote that was a bit distressed about not being able to kill that lousy rabbit!

It was getting pretty dark when we heard the pitter-patter of quick moving animals crossing downwind of us, and they left without us seeing a thing.  It was just too dark.  A few seconds later, we heard more running, then those critters running off, too.

Oh well, we're heading out again in the morning so maybe we'll meet again!

I'll post pictures of the cat in a few days after I get them developed and stored on a disc.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Sounds like you had a great day, Az....

The wind was kicking pretty well all day here. Thought I'd let the area recover from the shock of deer hunters before I call.

One thing I DID do though, is I gathered a couple of carcasses of deer, one was whole, & had been  run over on a forest road, the other had been processed....I set them about 275 yards off the deck to the West....I figure the temptation will be just TOO much for the coyotes to resist....LOL.

I'll give them a couple of days to get used to the free feed, then start doing my thing.

Good luck on the yotes today!

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Vacant

Nice read. What kind of damage did the .223 do to that cat? and do you know what kind of load he was using?

Randy

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

We left early this morning with the wind blowing a bit. That didn't help us any, and when the wind quit blowing it started raining. We did manage to call in one coyote, but he came in and left in such a way that he left unscathed! Oh well, you win some and loose some I reckon! Next time we'll have to do better.

Those carcasses should get you a coyote or three!  Maybe try them early in the morning, after they've had all night to get used to being "close to the house"? :D

Randy,

The .223 didn't damage the hide badly at all. Marc was using some match hollow points of some kind, and the bullet passed through without expanding much (a nickel sized exit). I just called him and he said that it's some off-brand ammo that he picked up using a 52 grain match hollow point; most likely Sierra, but he wasn't sure.

edit:  I had to go over to his house to pick up my Colt Woodsman that I left in his truck, so I looked at the ammo.  It's as described above, but the "off-brand" is Black Hills.  Hope that helps!

It looks like the rain has maybe settled in here for a few days; first signs of clearing will likely find me out calling again though. It's that time of year, and I may know where I can find a grey fox or two as a bonus!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Az,

A bad day hunting id better than a good day in the office....
I went & did a small survey today & drafted it....ready to deliver in the AM.

Aside from that. the only thing amusing is that a doe walked down by where I had the deer carcasses sitting to snipe coyotes off of. She stomped & snorted & ran off....LOL.
Little did she know that her downed comrades will help the deer population by allowing coyotes to come into my sights.

Rockinbbar

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

I said the same thing to Marc about a bad day hunting...there isn't such a thing, is there? ;)

Good luck with those carcasses!  Hope you'll let me know how they work for you.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Hey guys, Rockin' those yotes are too smart to some that close...Az- nice cat , a buddy of mine got one this weekend..shot him at 20 feet.... ouch...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

The kitty pic's that I promised.  the top picture is me, and the bottom one is Marc.

Enjoy!

Az

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

That looks like a big cat.  Bigger than the ones I've seen.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

That IS a big cat.  Would you believe it's a female?  

;)

Az

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Looks like a huge cat to me....

The big female coyote I killed was close to 40 lbs. can you believe that? Greyish color too. I took pics, but they are still in the camera...

Rockin'

Daryl (deceased)

I'm looking forward to seeing them, rockin'.

Take care,
Az

RIP Linden33

Jay Edward (deceased)

Thanks for the pics Az...spruce's up the threads some...real motivation.

Antler3

Good cat and yes BIG especially for a female. What do ya reckon she would weigh ???  I had a male mounted he was considered big for our area. He weighed app. 30 lbs. Was deer huntin' and using a doe bleat and here he came right in to me ....Shot him at about 15 yards !!  Congrats and Good job !
ANTLER 3

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: rockinbbarLooks like a huge cat to me....

The big female coyote I killed was close to 40 lbs. can you believe that? Greyish color too. I took pics, but they are still in the camera...

Rockin'
QuoteI took pics, but they are still in the camera...
HARRRUMMPHHHH!!! Still in the camera!!!?.....lets get our priorities straight here, neighbor!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: