call sounds

Started by bowshot, February 18, 2006, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowshot

anyone know where i can download some free calls from

neufdaddy

try www.varmintal.com he has over a dozen calls you can download

Gmoney

I think every varmint out there knows what Varmintals sounds sound like....lol....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

neufdaddy

IMHO Al seems to do pretty well with his call technique.

Gmoney

Not saying Al does a bad job friend.....I'm just saying I know of 20+ people using his exact sounds.....varmints DO become smart when they hear the same exact recordings...

I was just making a joke about the popularity of his calls and his techniques.....and his generosity to the sport by providing free sounds......
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

sav17

http://downloads.western-rivers.com/sound.php?sound=Red%20Fox%20Distress.mp3&function=listenhi bowshot give this western rivers site a try ive got quite a few of there and use them to practice getting my mouth calls close :D
Your friend ..........................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

neufdaddy

Are you really suggesting that the coyotes are hearing too much of Al? I think a coyote gets wise to calls after being shot at REGARDLESS of the call or caller. It's like Pavlovs dogs, if a distress call no longer represents food but instead danger, the coyote is far less likely to come.

I really doubt the song dogs in any one area have heard too much of Al.

Daryl (deceased)

neufdaddy,

No, I'm pretty sure that Greg said he was only making a joke about the popularity of Al's calls, and his generosity to the sport by providing them.  I tend to agree with him; I know a bunch of people who've used (and still do use) his calls quite a bit.  Not many folks are willing to provide free sounds to the public, and his is a well known site.

That said...

I hunt with a couple of airedales with me most of the time, and believe me that after they've heard the same sound a few times, they pay no attention to it any more.  Try something new and they'll go over and check it out, but once they know that it's nothing to get 'hold of, they pretty much ignore it.

I believe that coyotes are much the same.  Whether they've been shot at or not, if they learn to associate a certain sound with humans/no rabbit/etc, whether that's from smelling a human, being shot at, or whatever, they'll pay little attention to it.

That's one reason I like hand calls so much.  I've not found anyone yet who can duplicate my calling, and it's effective.  I'd hate to try to count the times when I've had an e-caller playing, and nothing showed up 'till I started with the hand calls.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

azhdryder

Believe Daryl when he says the dogs check out something new. I was the new thing one time and I had one of them in my lap about 2 mins after Daryl told him to go away. Its hard to shoot anything when you are laughing....
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Gmoney

Coyotes and other critters for a fact do get used to the same sounds...whether it is a pup in distress or a coyote howl or a rabbit or whatever.....

Call the same places often and watch the behaviors and see what you think...I've observed this quite often....I've learned so many things just observing in the woods....

Al is known all over the place for his site and his free calls.....same for all of the online sites for free calls....

This is why I think the Foxpro is so popular with serious varminters....you can record your own sounds with your handcalls.....you can change up your sounds constantly so the critters will not wise up....

Of course if a dog gets shot at, good luck seeing it again, I'm talking about the opportunity to even see one..... if they hear the same sounds constantly they WILL stop responding...this goes for cats and fox as well...

I learned a lesson this weekend about night calling that I've observed before but I thought it was coincidence that I'll share with ya'll....

Coyotes are extremely tough to call in at night...not impossible but very, very tough....

We saw some eyes coming in hard but it was so large I thought it was a deer...(this happens frequently)......no says my brother who believes me and then we shut off the light.....

Not 5 seconds later we hear it bark at the call maybe 100 yards away and coming strong still....>>>>coyote

We flip the light back on and it immediately stops and takes off hard to the right far away from us....

It didn't see us, we made no noise....

If you see a coyote at dark you better not take the light off of it, it will run if you take the light off and then put it back on....I have observed this a few times but it was made clear this weekend......something to do with the light changes....

I am going to post some pics of this weekend for all who care....check the other thread.....take care, Greg
-Greg

Tags: