Weather Question for Predators

Started by RatherBHuntin, February 18, 2006, 05:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

How will bad weather affect the hunting habits of coyote/fox/bobcat?  Snow flurries I expect wouldn't bother them at all, is that correct? Will they still hunt in the rain?  Freezing rain?  I suppose it really comes down to how hungry the  predator is.  Planned on heading out to the club this weekend, but with a 4 hour drive ahead of me, some of it through freezing rain....having second thoughts about the odds of doing any good and putting up with the weather thats going on over there.  The varmints need thinning though, we want to give the bunnies and turkeys a better chance.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

I've seen them out hunting in light rain. I'm heading out tomorow to try for some coyotes. It's VERY cold right now but it's supposed to warm up tomorow. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gmoney

Glenn.....put it this way, I WISH I was out today!!  Right at freezing with light winds and frozen drizzle occassionally....they will be out in droves here in TX...

Since we don't have to deal with snow I cannot really comment on how snow effects them much...I imagine that they behave in snow where you are like they behave here in rain.....Light rain does not effect them much but once they start to get real wet they'll go back to the dens....this is at least my experience....

Good luck with the thinning...man I wish I was HUNTIN!!!
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

Had to forego my plans.  Really isn't any need to be driving on roads they expect to ice up, getting the weather warnings at the house here.  And on top of that my shooter, the young un, seems to have sprained his ankle goofing around with the neighbor kids and don't look like he's gonna be walking too far to a stand.  I did take the morning and made a decoy, pictures to follow.  Some rabbit skins and a coat hanger.  Gonna spend the cold rainy evening painting my rifle stock ala Barry's method and casting some bullets I think.  Got plans already to be heading out next Friday immediately after work.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: