Need help with coyotes - Richmond TX

Started by luckyrun, December 03, 2005, 12:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckyrun

We live on a small ranch (125 acres) close to Katy/Richmond TX and coyotes have taken our domestic cats one by one.  We need hunter(s) to help us.  I called TX Parks & Wildlife, but Fort Bend County does not have a "Cooperative Agreement" and therefore, the don't have anyone to send.  Advice please!

RatherBHuntin

Luckyrun, welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry to hear about your pets, there are a few folks here that will be able to help you out, either with advice or a periodic visit.  Check back soon.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Steel traps work 24/7, and they'll be the most effective means to control coyote numbers.

Shooting them will eventually make a difference too, but I doubt that hunters will be able to do it for you.  They'll get a few by calling them in, and then the coyotes will get wise to it.

Otherwise, keep a rifle handy and shoot them when you get the chance.

I know that rockinbbar likes to place a bait a ways from the house, and shoots some that way.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

So you want some help?  I am always looking for places to hunt some coyotes....I am in College Station and just love to do it.....some of the folks on here have excellent advice form in field experience....they can tell you HOW to do it....

If you want help, I will be more than happy to drive to the Katy area and help you try to rid them.....If you are interested PM me and I'll give you some info and such....

Good luck, Greg
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Tangledj

Sorry about your pets,Im eat up with the yotes too.
 I've started using a simple tripod with bait hanging.I can post a pic if needed but it's really just a tripod.
 Good luck
Are you sure about your shot?Kill it,dont wound it!

luckyrun

Thanks for your input. I'm gathering lots of options.

Jodie

Jcall

Sorry about the pets.  If coyotes have taken over, they're not going anywhere.  They have addapted to humans very well.  My advice would be a couple of donkeys or llamas.  The llamas will not make near as much noise but both will keep the coyotes at bay.  They are very protective, that's why you often see a donkey running with heards of domestic sheep.  I found snares to be the most effective method of removing large numbers of coyotes.  Carry a rifle with you and either learn to call or have someone come out and call.  Hunting over bait at night works well also.  Just know that every coyote that gets away and "made" you, is going to be much wiser.  Good luck!

Tangledj

Thanks for the info.I dont have a fence for the other animals,nor do I want the up keep.It's also kinda become a revenge thing for me now.lol
 I've tried the bait at night thing several times.But I cant get their timing down.
They come thru anywhere between 9pm,and 2:30 in the morning.I've did a few stakeouts,but not for the whole time span.
 I walked out onto the porch last night and one howled out no more than 100yds
away,as if he were laughing at me knowing I wasnt prepared for him.
 Do you know of the lights that are attached to the top of  a scope(push button on forearm?)If so do you know how well they work?Spot lighting is completely illegal here,but I've had bigger worries.It's hard to turn on a light,then get a shot too.
 Im still working on some other helping aids also.
J:frown
Are you sure about your shot?Kill it,dont wound it!

cosine4

I have a spot light that attaches to my scope.  It works good.  They claim 250 yard range, but you won't be able to get a shot past 100 yards.  If you have your gun ready before you switch it on, you can aim and get a shot before they jump.  Use a red lense, it is supposed to be less alarming to the animals and from what I have seen this is true.

Gmoney

I made a trip down to Richmond, TX to see about Luckyrun's coyote issue.....she definately lives in an urban area!  So I brought the guns and some calls and did a bit of calling with no luck.....scouted a little for her and there definately are coyotes...found where they cross the fences and some good places to use some snares......There are quite a few houses in the area so a rifle might not be the best thing to use so I told her son to use his shotgun and try to find some roadkill or a deer carcass and set it up next to a little pond outside their house and check it in the evenings......maybe he can catch one eating a little snack.....Luckyrun if you read this give us an update!

Cosine....those red lights that attach to your gun are very nice....my battery is out on mine...thanks for reminding me...;).....red light is good but it is hard to tell WHAT you are shooting at until they get really close.....a blue lens has the same effect as a red lens but the blue lens lets you identify the animal you are shooting at a pretty good way out, unlike a red lens.....it is always important to identify those eyes!
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

cosine4

Thanks for the tip.  I will have to find a blue lense for mine and give it a try.

Gmoney

They are hard to find...especially one that wil fit your light.....try some specialty stores and if not luck finding one the right size try this.....we use one that is a tad small and we duct tape it to the light....this helps 2 ways.....you can make a unfitting lens work just fine and it also allows you a more controlled beam...most calling lights have a pretty fine beam but this duct tape controls the light that comes out of the edges of the beam....this helps when you are shing and portions of the light may be hitting your vehicle or in your eyes that may be seen by the critter....
-Greg

Rustyhunter

Quote from: luckyrunWe live on a small ranch (125 acres) close to Katy/Richmond TX and coyotes have taken our domestic cats one by one. We need hunter(s) to help us. I called TX Parks & Wildlife, but Fort Bend County does not have a "Cooperative Agreement" and therefore, the don't have anyone to send. Advice please!
I'm a soldier at Ft hood and would pay you to come hunt the coyotes

kilkritrsnow

Luckyrun ,I would love to spend a little time with you all and your problem,I have a suppressed .22lr that is set up for .60gr SSS . and sounds all to tempting, but realisticaly , I have a friend that hunts in Huntsville and says that the yotes overrun his place so he has  gone to ,the barberic method of painting posts with bacon fat, that he has inbedded single edged razors in, he seems to feel that when they, lick the fat and cut there tongues on the blades that they go into a feeding frenzy on the blood, sounds gruesome!! but they wont let guns in.  bow lease only ,Situation, gofigure ?;)

ohiobob

gmoney or anyone,,,where can you get a blue lens,,even the ones that are to small?
where did you get yours at gmoney?
Thank you
Ohiobob

Tags: