1st post , MN caliber regulations

Started by Mr.Pink, November 24, 2005, 09:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Pink

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post on the web site and hopefully many more to come.
Im trying to find the daytime max caliber allowed for hunting coyote in MN with very little success so far. The MN regulation book states that nothing larger than .22 can be used at night with a proper permit but it says nothing about daytime. I have a new .308 tactical rifle with a "varmint" scope I would like to put to use on some coyote but only if it's legal. If not I do have my eye on a .22. thanks for any help you can provide.

Gmoney

Howdy Pink.....never heard of a MAX caliber for anything....there is just usually a minimum....but your state may be different.....sorry cannot help you....G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Some states that are heavily populated won't let you use a centerfire caliber, simply because of noise and/or the distance that the bullet can travel and do damage.

I'm guessing that if your state only says that there's a caliber/catridge limitation at night, it's because of noise.

That said, I wouldn't trust what someone says on the 'net for legal stuff without checking it out with your local authorities. What they say won't hold up in court, and it's far better to be safe than sorry.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Mr.Pink

Thanks for the info. I agree, this may not be the best place for legal advice.I emailed the same question to the MN DNR on wed. evening but I still havnt heard back from them.probably wont until at least monday. The only reason this was even brought up was a friend said he thought a .22 was the biggest caliber you could use but he wasnt 100% sure so it just got me curious. The dnr regulation book isnt all that clear on it either. thanks again for the help.

Hunterbug

I know that in Colorado you can not use anything larger than a 23 caliber west of I-25 during a regular big game season unless you have a valid big game tag but other than that anything goes. I would give the DNR a call for call for clarification.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: