Best Shotgun for the money?

Started by cgphunter, October 27, 2004, 06:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgphunter

OK people, lets here it. In your opinion what is the "best" shotgun for the money. I will give some specifics so please try and stay within them. Pump or autoloader?

Required: 12 gauge, pump action(autoloader if the price is right), rugged, reliable, not a hang over the mantle gun

This gun will be used for small game (squirrel, rabbit, dove, quail, duck) and maybe deer. I have no preference of stock other than I like the cammo synthetics and I'm concerned about a wood stock on a gun I know I will abuse in the woods. What length barrel would be appropriate? I do more small game hunting in the woods than duck blind hunting. Should I go with a 3.5" chamber or stick to 3"?

What are your thoughts on these few:
Remington 870 Express Combo - with shot barrel and slug barrel
Benelli Nova camo
Mossberg Model 500 Sporting or 835 Ulti-Mag/Combo

Please let me know what you think, any and all info is appreciated and I don't care if you think you might be a little off topic as long as you give me an honest opinion.

Thanks a ton guys and gals,
Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

rockinbbar

I would go with the 870, or the Mossberg, either one is a rugged, dependable, inexpensive shotgun....

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

I agree with rockin'.

I had one of the 870's a few years back.  I never had any problems with it functionally, but I never could get used to the straight stock.  I'm used to a stock with a little more drop in it, and finally sold it to a friend who needed one to help with the dogs that were killing his emus off.

Also had one of the Mossberg 500's with an 18 inch barrel.  I really liked that one, but someone finally talked me out of it.  Wouldn't mind picking up another one of these days; they're good shotguns.

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

cgphunter

What about the combos? Is it worth the money to get the extra rifled barrel? I use slugs every once in a while but not often. Will it hurt a rifled barrel to shoot regular shot from it on occasion?

Thanks,
Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

Daryl (deceased)

If you shoot slugs, it wouldn't hurt to get the extra barrel.  That's a choice that only you can make, and it will likely depend on your intended use.

It won't hurt the rifled barrel to shoot shot from it, but you'll most likely get a donut shaped pattern with a hole in the center.

Good luck!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

teddy12b

I have an 870 with a Hogue forend and stock.  A slug barrel, a regular bird barrel, and a cylinder bore barrel.  My shotgun has never let me down and I abuse the heck out of it.  I might buy an auto some day but anytime I hear of people spending lots of money on a shotgun I tend to think they're crazy.  That's just me though.

cgphunter

Thanks AzKiote, that is exactly what I was wondering about the slug barrel.

For my hunting, I don't think it is worth the money to get an autoloader. So I tend to agree with you teddy12b.

Thanks,
Chris
- Mark Twain

- Ralph W. Emerson

RatherBHuntin

I own a Model 500 and I gotta tell you, for the price it just cant be beat. I would like a new shotgun, either an over and under or auto, but only for the quicker second (third) shot on foul. Mossbergs are gonna be $150 cheaper, so you got to ask yourself if what you are getting with the 870 is worth 150 bucks. You don't have to get a combo, you can shoot a slug out of a smooth bore too. Or you can wait and get the extra barrel with either of them later. You don't really need 3 1/2 " shells for ducks, but it would be nice to have the option of using 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 if you chose to hunt something else later. My Model 500 is a one gun for everything solution for me, cause I cant really afford others right now, and it works fine, for all but slugs which I probably couldn't expect to shoot more than 50 yards with, if that.

Of course if you get the 870/835 Ulti Mag Combo, you wont have an excuse to get something else later.  Nor would you really need to.  If your strapped, Model 500.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

cgphunter

Can someone tell me what the deal is with the ported barrels? They look like they are ported a few inches from the muzzle. Is this common on new shotguns, b/c I don't know If I would like it or not. Any thoughts?

Chris
- Mark Twain

- Ralph W. Emerson

teddy12b

It's simple about ported barrels.  They are made for Girly Men!  Just kidding, it's supposed to reduce the recoil, and help keep the end of your barrel down for quicker sight alignment on a second follow up shot.  They actually seem like it would be pretty nice for the people that shoot the magnume loads especially.

cgphunter

I noticed that most of the magnum 3.5" guns had it and wondered why. Now I know. I bet it helps recoil for 3" shells too though.

Chris
- Mark Twain

- Ralph W. Emerson

deadeye2

I have two old 870's that have proformed well for me. My 12 ga. 870 has slug barrel and has been drilled and tapped to mount a Burrus 1 3/4x5. This old gun holds slugs in about a 4" group at 100 yds., that is good enought for white tails.

I have an old 870 in 16 ga. that I use for other small game animals. I do prefer the 870 over the Mossberg as the 870 has double guide rails on the pump and seems to work a little better.

I feel that either one would be a workable  field  gun for you.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

Oregonhunter

My vote would be for the Rem. 870 it has never let me down during any firefights with them Oregon Grouse or Turkeys!

My 2 cents

Oregonhunter

cgphunter

Thanks for the input. I have used the 870 almost exclusively b/c that is what I was able to borrow. One was synthetic and the other wood stock. I think that is probably what I will look for.

Thanks again,
Chris
- Mark Twain

- Ralph W. Emerson

Marvin Donnell

RE: Best Shotgun for the money? I still have an 870 that my dad bought when I was young (am now above retirement age) and just about everyone in my family, brother, son, nephew, son-in-law have all used it. My dad wore a barrel out over twenty -five years and replaced it. To my knowledge, this is the only thing we have ever done to this shotgun and it still works great! Mossbergs are great also. Consider the length of trigger pull on the stock because fit will make a great difference.MD

Tags: