Coyote Problem

Started by Jreb1861, October 19, 2005, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jreb1861

I'm having a problem with Coyote's. I iive near a lot of houses, so big bore's are out. I am using my 12 ga Marlin Goose Gun, with 00 buckshot. When is the best time to get the little critters. They don't seem to have any set pattern as to when I see them. Thanks for any help, Jreb

SuperMag

I've killed most of my coyotes after dark, but I have also called some in during the day with a decoy.  If you can get them in close enough buck shot will definitely do the job.  I've also seen some buck shot called dead coyote, but I've never used it or heard anyhting about it other than what the Cabela's catalouge says.
SuperMag

WHITETAIL HUNTER

I have had luck with #4 Hevi, in the magnum 12 ga, and I have a question. Is there alot of domestic animals around like cats, other dogs?
 I ask because a few years ago I had a problem with yotes and found they were there for a free meal, alot of pet owners leave their animal food outside, the yote sees this as free food, and will keep coming back, if this is true buy some dog food and bait them.
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Willywonka

Or you can buy one of those electronic distress calls. I've seen the pros use them pretty succesfully during the day. I've seen people use the #4 hevi shot for coyotes and it works pretty well with a good shotgun and a full choke the pattern holds together for a good distance. I mainly hunt yotes with a 30-30 anymore I gues you could use a 223 or 243 or 22 if you want for good accuracy at closer ranges without worrying about something like a 30-06 out at longer ranges.

Daryl (deceased)

The best way to rid yourself of the problem is with traps.  They work 24/7 for you.

Otherwise, I'd try calling early and late in the day.  It's illegal to hunt coyotes at night in Arizona, but I've killed many hundreds of them over the last 30 years with a distress call in the early and late hours of the day.

One question:  Are you sure it's coyotes?  Oft-times coyotes are blamed for damage done by the neighbor's dogs.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jreb1861

......Thanks for all the good advice. Lots of yes's here, plenty of dogs and cats around and yes i'm sure they are Coyote's, I've seen them very close up, but didn't have a gun with me (thats not going to happen again).  Jreb

WHITETAIL HUNTER

Quote from: DarylThe best way to rid yourself of the problem is with traps. They work 24/7 for you.

Otherwise, I'd try calling early and late in the day. It's illegal to hunt coyotes at night in Arizona, but I've killed many hundreds of them over the last 30 years with a distress call in the early and late hours of the day.

One question: Are you sure it's coyotes? Oft-times coyotes are blamed for damage done by the neighbor's dogs.

Take care,
Daryl
The problem with traps is the domestic animals, I not saying that I hate, or look down on others for using them(cause I use them too), but in a urban setting with alot of neighborhood animals who wants to explain " I mammed your dog's leg". I think we have enough trouble with anti's, that we don't need to give them any more excuses. Not trying to start any thing just stating the hazards of leg holds in urban areas.
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Daryl (deceased)

Would have to agree with you Whitetail Hunter.  The thing is, oft-times those domestic dogs are the cause of the problem.  

I remember when I was a kid not too far from where I now live, and we had a lot of trouble with something killing chickens, pheasants, and so forth.  My dad got tired of it, and started shooting whatever was causing the problem.  In three years, he only shot ONE coyote.  In that same time, he shot a number of dogs that were tearing their way into the pen.

Please note that I live in an area with a high concentration of coyotes.

Every county in Arizona that I'm aware of has a leash law.  Don't know about other states, but if folks own dogs then they owe it to their neighbors and their dogs to keep them home.  Oh, and I speak as one who owns three hunting airedales and my wife has an Aussie.

I wouldn't be able to sleep if my dogs weren't home in their kennel.  I KNOW what they are capable of, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

These days, good leg hold traps usually won't maime a dog anyway.  Check into the Sterling traps.  They're quite reliable and usually don't break legs.  You can even set the triggers so that they wont go off on smaller animals.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: