T/C Encore Pistol in 45/70

Started by teddy12b, October 25, 2004, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

Has anyone shot one of these?  I've seen the pictures of a 15" stainless and they just look so tough.  I was wondering about getting one in 45/70.  I think it'd be a great hunting pistol that hits the target like a sledghammer.  Any suggestions or complaints about Thompson Center encore pistols?

knuckledragger

Teddy-  I only have a T/C 243 in the 24" blued bbl.  I love it.  Last week, the guy next to me showed up at the range with a box full of Encore and Contender BBL's, both pistol and rifle.  One of the encore pistol bbl's was in 45/70.  Holy cow, what a hand cannon.  He took one shot with it and put it away saying he was going to sell it:  too much recoil and too much muzzle blast.  I for one can say, 3 benches down, it was uncomfortable.  It was a crowded range and the guys on either side had a few choice words with him because he didn't warn anyone.  

I want a pistol to hunt with and will probably get either a 454 casull or 44 mag (or both) in T/C Encore.  I want a 45/70 too, but that will be in a Marlin lever action version, not a T/C Encore.  Just my second hand experience, others may think otherwise.  T/C wouldn't make it if it wasn't in demand.

Knuckledragger
Not everyone gets a trophy.

rockinbbar

Hey Guys,

Did you hear about the 12 year old boy that was killed shooting a Ruger Super redhawk in .454 Casull recently?

Evidently he was shooting with an adult outside San Antonio, Tx. The boy wanted to shoot the .454 Casull, & was declined, but later recieved permission to shot the handgun...
The adult stood over the boy with his hands above the gun to stop the muzzle flip, but, it came through the hands of the adult & hit the 12 year old boy between the eyes on the forehead, evidenty crushing his skull.

The Sheriff's Dept is not through with the investigation yet....I think the adult will probably be criminally charged, as well as sued. As much as I hate it, I smell a lawsuit headed in Ruger's direction as well....

If I were to hunt with a handgun now..(I have in the past), it would be a .41 magnum. Nothing more is needed in a handgun, for the way I hunt....If I have need for a rifle, I use one....LOL.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Vacant

rockin- sounds similar to the lady killed a few years back by a Desert Eagle 50cal. Irresponsible and just plain dumb!

I'm interested in the Encore system as well. There is a company called Bullberry and they match match barrels for the Encore... looks like it would be quite a fun gun to have. I mean they look great!

Randy

OregonBoy

I too have an Encore rifle, with 24" barrels in 30-06 and 243. Great gun, in my experience; I'm saving my pennies for a T/C Custom Shop barrel in 358 Winchester. As a sidenote, the group I hunt with uses Encores and Contenders almost exclusively...

Flatlander

I shoot a 44 mag Ruger new model super blackhawk does the job but I will say I don't fire it unless others around me are warned at thw range it's a good hard hitting gun that'll stop a boar hog in his tracks I've killed hogs and deer with it and am wanting to try it out on a black bear maybe later on this year with any luck I also shoot a 44 cal BP and haven't had the right opp. to shoot any game wiyh it yet

teddy12b

Hey Flatlander,
          How far away was the deer when you shot it with your 44?  I'm planning on trying to use my 44 for a deer this season but I just want to make sure it's enough to take a buck down fast and not let the buck suffer long.

Flatlander

about 30 yds but I would take a shot up to 50 I'm shooting it alittle more but I 'm just not comfortable beyond tht yetI'm hoping to up it to 75 yds before I get another shot with it

teddy12b

Here in Indiana we can only use a shotgun, muzzleloader, or pistol with 6" barrel @ 357mag or higher.  I have a 44 Mag and I love it.  However it only has the 6 inch barrel.  I was thinking that the TC Encore 45/70 with a 15" barrel would be able to reach out to 100 yards accurately and still have  more than enough knockdown power.  Do you know anything about the TC pistol I mentioned?

Flatlander

I hear a lot of good things about the accuracy I'd say that 100yd shot once you're comfortable would be reasonable I shoot my pistol in heavy cover on the ground usually while going to or from the stand except for hogs I hunt them with the pistol alone the main thing is confidence  when yyou're confident you know what you can do and don't miss shot's second guessing yourself

schuetzen32

I have a T/C Contender in 45/70, 16" barrel with a muzzle tamer and a 2-6 power scope. First of all this is a very heavy gun and even though I don't hunt I wouldn't care to care it in the field. It is accurate with 300 gr. JHP but if I were going to try and use it at 100+ yds. I would work up some handloads. This is a future project. This is a verrrrrry unpleasent gun to shot. It makes a .44 fell like a .22. If you don't hold it just right it will come out of your hand or sprain your wrist. Remember, I'm shooting with the added weight of a scope. Buy it for a toy this is not something for the beginner.

knuckledragger

Teddy-  I finally got the .44 for the T/C.  I've only shot one box through it.  Very accurate, fun to shot but it is not for those with weak wrists.  I cant wait to take it hunting.  

KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Tags: