Savage or Marlin

Started by PlushHunter, August 03, 2005, 08:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlushHunter

Ok i just want to know what peoples opinions on for a better quality gun for 17hmr ? the bull barel savage or the bull barel marlin..
ProStaff:
Winglock Calls www.winglockcalls.com
G-Bow Hunting Scents www.gbowhunting.com

YoteBuster

the standard contour barrel, either in the Ruger or CZ.

Rohann

I'd vote for Savage, I got a .22LR Mk-II FV and it shoots very well. Don't get one with a synthetic stock though, their synthetic stocks are crap.

-Rohann

Marlin917VS

Both will shoot the same, it depends on which one feels better in your hands. If you don't like the magazine that sticks out very far, go with the savage. I think the marlin feels better made, but that's just what I think. You won't be dissapointed with either choice. I have the Marlin 917VS (as you can see by my user name) and I love it. I put a Swift Premier 6-24x50 scope on with Burris Zee high rings, and installed a rifle basix trigger with a pull of just under 1lb. It averages about .75" at 100 yards. I'm up to 6 groundhogs with it, all one shot kills. Here she is:
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

sav17

Hi plush
both look very similar mines the savage and works really well,no complaints with accuracey my only beef was the trigger,very heavy and with lots of creep,sorted that now with a mod,added a shortened pen spring and shimmed the trigger assy down by 0.020" much cheaper than the rifle basix drop in,maybe not as good but a massive improvement.Wont get into the coyote arguement again,think its been well played out now,I have taken red fox with mine but shot placement and range is paramount if your not sure of the shot dont take it!!! rabbit squirrel rat and corvid species no probs,body shots on rabbit do tend to mess up the meat mind you.Pic 0f my savage below,its a 93 bvss
I like yourself am restricted to rimfire only for vermin control on 2 of my shoots,I normally use 223rem for fox control
Good hunting your friend..................................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Marlin917VS

Ya, I forgot to mention about the trigger.  The marlin factory trigger is also awful, and it will need fixed.  I used the pen spring trick for a little bit, but then I switched up to the rifle basix.  I like the rifle basix better, but I don't think it's worth a $70 difference.  

Andy

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

PlushHunter

Thanks iam going to go check out a marlin tommorow since my 30-06 sold and see if i can find one within reasonable price... any tips on which scope for the marlin ??
ProStaff:

Marlin917VS

It depends on your price range and what type of power you want.  I have a Swift Premier 6-24x50 and I love it.  At first I had a 3-9 but it just didnt feel like enough power.  My swift is extrememly bright and clear, all the way out to the edges, all the way up to 24 power.  It's much better than I expected any scope in that price range to be.  I got it from EABCO.com for $182.  I've also heard good things about simmons 44 mag scopes and simmons wtc and atv scopes, although both the wtc and atv I believe are discontinued, but you can still find them online in a lot of places.  If you can afford it, I've also heard that Bushnell 3200's are great.  I've looked through some in stores, along with the 4200, and they looked really good, but they were out of my price range at the time (and still are!!).  Riflescopes.com has a lot of brands to choose from, and they have decent prices too.  

Andy

PlushHunter

Ok i ended up picking the gun up at K's Merchandise a Marlin with laminate stock ss bull barrel scope and 1 box of ammo for total of 401.50 after tax the gun alone was 299 and the scope i purchased for now is a 3-9x 40mm bushnell sportsman
ProStaff:

Marlin917VS

Seems like a good deal to me. Give us a report on how it shoots after you take it to the range. Also, if you would like a link to the pen spring trick for the trigger I can find it for you.

Andy

Update:
If you decide to lower the trigger pull:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33044&highlight=Marlin+pen+spring+trigger

I just found the link, but this is for the older version (17vs, not the 917vs).  The only difference is instead of taking the lower screw out, you take the lower pin out. (they switched from screws to pins for the new model) There is a really small e clip that you remove first, then you just push the pin out.  Then you slide the trigger and spring  out, swap the springs (take one out of a papermat pen or pencil), and slide the trigger back in and align it so that you can put the pin back in.  Be careful with the e clip because it's really small and easy to lose.  This may sound really confusing now, but after you take the stock off and see what you're doing, it's pretty easy.  Also, after you are finished, test it by bumping the butt end off of the ground a couple times to make sure it doesn't go off (unloaded of course).  This works really good, but if you have an extra $70 laying around the Rifle Basix trigger is even better.

PlushHunter

yeah the trigger doesfeel heavy wouldnt mind a link :) thnx for the help and il be setting it up to goto the range soon so i can go wack some squirls
ProStaff:

Marlin917VS

Look at my last post, I must have been updating it while you were making yours.  It has a link and directions.

Andy

PlushHunter

thnx i will put a new spring in it soon ...
ProStaff:

varmint hunter

savage. not a big fan of marlin rifles, have heard some bad news.

PlushHunter

herd bad news from either side but a gun can be corrected with work done to it...
ProStaff:

Tags: