Is a 45LC a good idea for Black Bear?

Started by teddy12b, July 22, 2005, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

I started a thread under the guns area about a uberti 45LC.  These are such cheap guns I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to take as a sidearm for black bear hunting.  

Has anyone used a 45LC on black bear?  I don't mean the hot loads for the rugers or encores.  I'm after the basic old fashioned 45LC.  

Just curious, thanks.

Daryl (deceased)

teddy,

Others will disagree I'm sure, but I question the effectiveness of the .45 Long Colt (standard loading) on very large black bears just a bit.  I have no doubt that the .45 Colt would work fine on average and even medium-large bears.

I would strongly advise you to NOT use cowboy loads.  Standard loads will work ok, but make sure that you can hit where you aim.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

ghostrider_tx

Howdy teddy

You can find a nice used Ruger .44mag for about what you will pay for a Uberti. NO I don't like the standard 45LC load for bear. I also wouldn't recommend a .44special. Especially if you might need it for up close and personal self defense. Just my $.02 worth                        
                                                    Jack
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

billythekidrock

Not a good idea. If you have fear of bears (most whom carry side arms do, but wouldn't admit it) you will not be in the right frame of mind when it comes time to use it in a sticky situation. Be comfortable with your rifle and confident in your shooting and you will be fine without a side arm.

ghostrider_tx

Howdy teddy

Don't pay any attention to billy's wrong conclusions.  After 27 years in Alaska;most of the people I know or have talked to all carry a handgun for one of 3 or 4 reasons. #1 During camping,hunting or fishing in bear country***sooner or later you will be required to perform tasks that require you to use both hands---which will require you to lay your longgun(rifle or shotgun)down and possibly walk away from it. #2 You park your 4wheeler and walk away to take pictures---potty break or just to stretch and glass and eat blueberries---the rifle is still in your gun scabbard. #3 Have you ever tried to spend a day fishing and carrying a shotgun or .338 over shoulder while climbing or wading. #4 Have you ever tried to manuver a rifle in a backpack tent. #5 And last but not least***have you ever heard of a weapon that just plain ole malfunctions and without your sidearm you would be without a weapon. I prefer a backup, so that I may continue to enjoy my wilderness experience.     Enjoy your handgun****they are also just fun to shoot.          Jack
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

Jay Edward (deceased)

I always carry a sidearm when I hunt. Sometimes a cap & ball, sometimes one of two 45 Colts, every once in a while a .22LR.  I have used the sidearms to take big game, small game and birds.

Anyone who does not respect the power and survival skills of a Black Bear is dangerous to hunt with.  I've been backed down twice by females with cubs and had another attempt an ambush....I've also taken a number of Black Bear with various firearms both smokeless and blackpowder.

Please do not state that I  "have a fear of bears...but wouldn't admit it".  I have a healthy respect for anything that can turn and bite or claw you.  'Fight or flight' is a survival mechanism and is instinctive.  I pay attention to 'instinct' as do most who prefer not to be victims.  I remember when I was young being chastised by an older man who thought it was unmanly to plug your ears when a firearm was being shot.  I was glad to find out the truth about ear protection.

I suspect the difference between us has to do with someone who has spent most of his 60 years hunting on his own two feet and has also learned the value of a handgun.    

I carry a number of items and they are all tools...including my rifle.

The 45 Colt 240 grain flatnose standard load can, I believe, be trusted to perform to your satisfaction t12b.  

gitano

QuoteThe 45 Colt 240 grain flatnose standard load can, I believe, be trusted to perform to your satisfaction t12b.

Absolutely.

Paul[/color]
Be nicer than necessary.

Montana338

I would not hesitate to use my 45 lc on black bear with the right loads Check this link outhttp://http://mysite.elixirlabs.com/index.php?uid=12665&page=1625

Tags: