Charles Daly Mini-mauser Action

Started by LLANOJOHN (deceased), October 21, 2004, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Friend & Neighbors,

Here is a pic of the new C Daly Mini-Mauser action with the .473 bolt-face.  The cartridge is the 6.5 Remington BR (wildcat cartridge).
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Friends & Neighbors,

Here is a pic comparing the Mini-Mauser action with a Remington 721 Barrel action.
The cartridges shown are:
Left to Right........6.5 Rem BR........6.5x06 AI........6.5x06.......338x57 MAI.........
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

English

Hondo, that is very intriguing.  While I'll probably never have the money to build a rifle like that I sure like the concept!  What are you getting/expecting by way of ballistics for that round?

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

UPDATE--

Just received an -e- from E R Shaw barrels...it has been shipped!  Received the stock from Richards Microfit.......#102 Old Classic w/shadow line cheekpiece, California Claro A-Fancy with good color and a fair amount of 'fiddle-back' !  Will post some pics after the barrel arrives.  Everything is coming together nicely with only the reamer to order after the 1st of the year!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Mark R

Hondo, what exactly is 6.5 Rem BR. Is it it similar to 6mm PPC only in 6.5. I'm alittle bit curious about it and its history.

Thanks

Mark
marktx

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: Mark RHondo, what exactly is 6.5 Rem BR. Is it it similar to 6mm PPC only in 6.5. I'm alittle bit curious about it and its history.

Thanks

Mark
Mark,

I don't have a lot of history on this cartridge. I have read about it occasionally and believe it was originally designed for competition in LR Silhouette but I could be wrong. It is one of about 8 or so wildcats based off the .308 x 1.5". Remington came out commercially with the .22 BR, 6mm Rem BR. The BR stands for BenchRest but I am sure you already knew that. It has the standard .473 case head like the .308 but it uses a Small Rifle Primer. The 6mm PPC uses a case head of .445 diameter so its a little smaller in diameter and doesn't have the powder capacity.

I will be using 6MM Rem BR brass necked up to 6.5. Heaviest weight bullet will be 100gr probably the Sierra HP. As most everyone knows I am a big fan of the 6.5 bore and thats why I chose this particular wildcat. With the 22" barrel velocities should be in the 2800 to 2900 fps range so its not going to be a speed demon. Based on 40 years of experience with the Sierra 100gr HP, it will be more than adequate for Texas hill country whitetails up to 200 yards +/-. Its to be used by my kinfolks youngsters as their first exposure to deer hunting.

Just something out of the ordinary but when I have the rifle finally completed it should make a good first gun for the kiddos and a show piece for me.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Friends & neighbors,

Thought I would pass on to y'all how I came to the select the 6.5 BR as the cartridge of choice for this particular endeavor.....It was NOT my first choice. When I first learned of the availability of the Mini-Mauser actions they indicated availability in 3 bolt faces--.222 or .223, 7.62x39 and 22-250....WOW! Mini-Mauser available in the .473 bolt-face(22-250)! OK, didn't want another 22 caliber and wasn't interested in 7.62x39....but a 22-250 case necked up to 6.5 sounded like a good idea to me.........WRONG!!!! Much to my surprise after ordering the action the 6.5x250 which was the first choice, the overall length with the desired bullet(100gr Sierra HP seated to the neck/shoulder junction) was TOO LONG for the magazine. So that brought to a halt Plan A.

Plan B.......Need to find a cartridge with a .473 diameter that was a bit shorter than the desired 22-250 that would still be within the perameters of exterior ballistics that I desired. Thumbing thru the "Cartridges of the World" (hereafter designated COTW) I came across the listing for the 6MM Remington BR...........Hmmmmm! Easy neck-up to 6.5, good availability of brass at a reasonable cost....So far--so good!....Went to the "Load From A Disc" program and did the necessary changes from 6MM to 6.5MM in the "Cartridge Designer" portion of the program and the results were within the velocities that would work with the bullets from 85grains to 100grains and the OAL with these bullets would work with the magazine limitations (2.37")......With this info....PLAN B became first and final option.

As most of you know I am always a believer in the KISS principle and fitting the action to the cartridge and not the other way around. This was my thought process -- hope you found it interesting and hopefully informative.

Best regards,

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

drinksgin (deceased)

John;
That sounds like making apple sauce after a truck load of apples turns over, we do the best we can with what we get, and still get some thing good. ;D
How is your rebore project doing?
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: drinksginJohn;
That sounds like making apple sauce after a truck load of apples turns over, we do the best we can with what we get, and still get some thing good. ;D
How is your rebore project doing?
Don
Don,

Apples to make applesauce..................EXACTLY!!

Some days you are ahead of the curve, most days you are behind the curve and on 1 or 2 days ............. YOU ARE THE CURVE!!! Now as which is the best to be is still under investigation.........After 62 years..still no definite answer!

QuoteHow is your rebore project doing?
The last I heard it was in the vise to remove the action.........Probably will get it back after the 1st of the year or there-a-bouts...kinda maybe...hope so...Won't know til it gets here!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

UPDATE-!

The barrel from ER Shaw & the stock from Richards Microfit have arrived!!!!!
As soon as it warms up and better weather, I will post pics!

Ol' John...:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

drinksgin (deceased)

John;
Get any of that funny looking fluffy rain last night?
TV said Tilden and Victoria got 11-12".
 Don

Mark R

We got 4" here in Galveston . I'm pretty sure a White Christmas here is quite a rarity.

Mark
marktx

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Don,
Yeah, I heard that they were getting that fluffy stuff.........can you believe that south country getting snow...????.......Hope they survive as I am sure some of those folks have only seen snow in pictures and on the TV!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

drinksgin (deceased)

Mark;
About as common as finding an honest politician!
John;
It looks as though you and I missed all the excitement, which suits me just fine, I spent about 3 months in Wyoming, that was enough for the rest of my life.
Don   :D

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Don,

The winter of 84-85 - can't remember the exact date I was the recipient of 17" of snow here at the ol' homestead........couldn't get off the place for 4 days!  Thats enough snow for my life-time, thank you very much.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Tags: