My Sears & Roebuck Shotgun......

Started by Gmoney, June 14, 2005, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

Figure I'd tell ya'll about the shotgun that I have used for all of my scattergunning since I was old enough to hold it......

When I was 8 my dad bought me my first shotgun used of a feller....he got it for 50 dollars and it is still going strong today.....It is a 12 gauge pump shotgun that is a full choke with no interchangable choke tubes....it has a wooden stock and a wooden pump......it is a very light wood but I do not know what it is......It only shoots 2 3/4 inch shells......It shoots a tighter pattern than any other shotgun I have ever patterned and the others were 3" shells.......

I have shot ducks, geese, quail, deadly on dove up to 80 yards, varmints, and tons of other stuff with this gun......I've thought about getting another gun a little newer for the sole purpose of changing chokes.....since the pattern is so tight I have to wait until the dove and quail get out to at least 30 yards or they are unedible.....

But I cannot bring myself to get another one because I love this one so much.....Does anyone else have or shoot a Sears & Roebuck shotgun?  Is this an antique that I should retire? Do they even make guns anymore?

Comments anyone.........
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Rick

Sears shotguns, like their rifles, have been made by many different manufacturers.  It could be a Winchester, a Marlin, a High Standard or a ?    You'd have to post a picture for us to tell much about it.  

My first rifle was a Sears single shot .22, with a manual cocking piece, that was made by Marlin.  I still have it.   It was so hard to cock, that a kid had to be at least 10 before he could safely use it!

Hunterbug

The good news is that you could posibly look around and find a new barrel and have choke tube put on that one so then you could keep using it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

Really Rick...? I did not know that and do not have a digital.......Having seen and owned firearms from a lot of makers you mentioned I do recognize any features of any brand I know on it......that being said it is probably so old that I have not been around long enough to see the characteristics of firearms from many years ago.....

Hbug - It has just got such great balance when I first start the following of a bird.....have never had that "sensation" with any other shotgun I have picked up....well of course I haven't picked up too many...:)
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Kanibal

My first 22lr was a Sears and Roebuck Hawthorne Warrior bolt action.  It is in the Sears catalog from like 1940 something I believe.  Fun little gun buy I lost my clip.  My friend has one just like it but it clearly says Mossberg on his so I imagine Mossberg made mine as well.  Ill post a pic when I can.
-Richard

rockinbbar

GMoney,

That shotgun was probably made by Mossberg, or possibly Ithica for Sears...

It should be a basic action with some variations, so it might be possible to find a more modern barrel that has a multi choke system...

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Hunterbug

I used to have a Sears Model 53 30-06 that was a post '64 pushfeed Winchester. It was a good gun but when I got my Pre '64, well..............
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

Sears guns were made by most everybody, Marlin, Winchester, Mossberg, H&R, Ithica, Savage/Stevens and High Standard that I know of.
The shotgun is most likely Mossberg or Savage/Stevens, but could be H&R.
Really need a good picture so those of us who have a bunch of references can try to find it.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

G--
Give me the Model # off the barrel and I can tell you who made your particular shotgun.
I just acquired a Sears pump in 12 gauge that I am thinking of turning into a truck gun.  Cut the barrel back to 20" and set it up for interchangeable chokes.......Well, why not?

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Gmoney

I'll call the folks and get them to read it to me....I'll post the number whenever I get it.....thanks John....
-Greg

Gmoney

John....model 200....Can I post the serial number on here?
-Greg

drinksgin (deceased)

John;
Have you ever gotten your computer fixed?
Can you read and reply to P.M.'s?
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: GmoneyJohn....model 200....Can I post the serial number on here?
No need to post the serial #, the Sears Model 200 is either a Winchester 1200 or a Mossburg G4 according to the info I have. Probably a 1200 but without a pic I can't be for sure. Sears uses some more #'s (marked on the barrel) like "273.4310" or "273.514810"---I never could come up with a good reason for this way of marking.....I guess they had a "fanatic" number cruncher with nothing better to do....duhhhhh!:D

Don,
Everything is back working again as best as I can tell.......did you send a -e- that got bounced? Send me one and if I get it I will reply........

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Gmoney

-Greg

Rick

My brother had a Sears semi-auto that was the contemporary of the 1200 - I think it was the same as a Winchester 1400.

My Dad's first gun was a Monkey Ward's Western Field .22, the same as a Mossberg Model 40.

Here is site with some barrels for 1200s -

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/winchesterbarrels.htm

Tags: