An All Around Woods Rifle - The Savage 24F

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 18, 2004, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I owned one of these once...but it was in 22 LR/ 20 Ga.  This one is .223 Rem/12 Ga.  Mine shot well and I packed it around for a number of years off and on.  I thought one of my sons would want it but they chose other firearms.  I think .22 Hornet/20 Ga. would be a good ranch rifle but perhaps you hold a different opinion.

drinksgin (deceased)

Jay;
I have a .22rf/20ga, very versatile, very easy to carry and use, really would like to find a .223 or .30-30 over 20ga.
Recently saw a .30-06, pardon me, 7.62x63 over 12ga in a local shop, but really do not care for either .
It is too bad Savage was not able to continue the over/under series, they are really nice for the one gun person.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

rockinbbar

Jay,

I like the idea of a .223 over 20 ga. It would probably replace my Win.94 for my pickup gun.
I've always been attracted to the 24, just never got my hands on one.

Drinksgin,

Savage still makes the gun....It comes in 12ga & 20ga, with lots of calibers on top. The downside is, they are about $600 MSRP. I can't see how SAvage makes such an accurate bolt gun for less money than the simple mod. 24.....

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

I'm really curious guys...why the .223 Remington at the 'above' barrel?  Is it just ammunition availability or is that you are thinking 'coyotes'?

rockinbbar

Jay,

The .223 has enough power to put deer size game or coyotes down at 250-300 yards, so, it puts it above the smaller calibers & the 30-30 in my books. I shoot a Sav. .223 mod 10, so the ammo is very reasonable to put in lots of practice with as well.

I'm pickier with the .223 being the top barrel, than the shotgun barrel. I'd not care if it were 12, or 20 gauge, myself.

The thing that is attractive about the 24 is versatility. The .223 caliber on top just adds to that.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Hunterbug

I think that the 223/12ga would be great for coyotes. Load the 12ga with some #4 buck and drop them from 30 feet to 300 yards!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

Jay;
I was thinking of being able to load the equivalent of .22mag to full house .223 for different game and situations, think lots of stock or houses around, but, I looked at Savage's spec's and the .223 barrel on the 24 is only 1 in 14 pitch, so useing anything heavier than 50 or 52 gr bullets would not likely be a choice, would be nice if the pitch was 1 in 9 as are the other Savage barrels.
Don

English

Personally I would like a .410/.22.  I believe this would be just the berries for squirrel hunting.  

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Gmoney

Specialty Series Rifle/ShotgunsModel 24F-12 Combo Rifle/Shotgun

Caliber 12 GA, chambered for 3" shells. .22 Hor., .223 Rem., 30-30 Winchester Overall Length  40.5"

Barrel Length 24"

Weight 8 lbs.

Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering.

Sights Adjustable notched rear sight/bead front/B-Square™ mount included.

Rifling Rate of Twist

22 Hor. (1 in 14")223 Rem. (1 in 14")
30-30 Win.(1 in 12")
Features
Over/under rifle shotgun combination, top break action, ambidextrious opening lever, two-position cross-bolt safety, scope mount, and swivel studs. 12GA - modified choke tube.
Suggested Retail $629.00

Specialty Series Rifle/ShotgunsModel 24F-20 Combo Rifle/Shotgun

Caliber 20 GA, chambered for 3" shells. 22 L.R., .22 Hor., .223 Rem, 17HMR Overall Length  40.5"

Barrel Length 24"

Weight 8 lbs.

Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering.

Sights Adjustable notched rear sight/bead front/B-Square™ mount included.

Rifling Rate of Twist

22 L.R. (1 in 14")22 Hor. (1 in 14")
223 Rem. (1 in 14")
17HMR (1 in 9")
Features
Over/under rifle shotgun combination, top break action, ambidextrious opening lever, two-position cross-bolt safety, scope mount, and swivel studs. 20 GA modified choke tube.
Suggested Retail $598.00

Here are the descriptions of the 2 combo guns like Jay described that I copied and pasted from Savage's website. There are quite a few choices...personally I like the .223/12 guage combo...very, very versatile...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

drinksgin (deceased)

English;
The first was a .22rf/.410 in the 30's, after WWII , a model with a molded plastic stock came out, this was not very popular, the stock was hollow, very light and had some low quality features , looked cheap, and was very inexpensive, about 25$.
I have a .22rf/20ga, picked it up at a going out of business sale at a Gibson's Bros. store about '85, the toe of the stock was broken off and missing, I believe I paid 30$ for it .
The current msrp of 600$ seems off the wall, I have seen some new ones for 379$, still really high compared to a NEF with 2 barrels, of course , the NEF does not have both barrels available at the same time.
It would be nice if some one started making USA made o/u combos at a reasonable price, don't hold your breath.
Don

Vacant

I would take a Springfield M6 over any of the previously mentioned "survival" rifles.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-m6-m6rifles.shtml

Randy

Jay Edward (deceased)

Thereby hangs a tale of woe...I've been trying to get one of these for over a year.

firebird

I love my .22 LR over 20 GA but would trade it in an instant for a .22 mag over 12Ga.  It also comes with the new Hornady .17 Cal. over both 12 and 20 GA. Where I live it is too suburban  for the loud calibers and the .22 mag  is about the limit for noise without some anti gun nut calling the police to complain even though it is legal. They don't make it with .22 mag over 12GA at this time but I have seen one and the owner would not sell it even though I offered him the price of a new gun. Coyoties arn't tough. A load of copper plated BB,s penetrate  quite well out to 35 YRDs or so. A head or neck shot from the little .22 mag with a 40gr. soft point will drop them quick out to 100 yrds. I guess the available .17 HRM over 12GA would be an alternate choice but I just don't like tiny little 17 gr. bullets on animals as big as coyots.
 Just my opinion . Yours may differ.
 Firebird.

Fortunate Son

Over the years I have owned a bunch of the Savage 24s.  Had one of the model Fs in 12 GA 30-30 and lost it paying for a divorce!  The plastic (?) stock just did not feel right.  Right now I have an old 24 in 22/410 with the barrel selector on the side and it is going to be the starter gun for my little girl.  Had one in 222 20 GA that I really liked, but gave it to my oldest son. My Dad has one in 357 Maxie 20 GA just sitting around. And, last  but not least, I have one off at the smith's being re-chambered from 357 Mag over 20 GA to 35/30-30.  Here in the Deep South, it should make a fine gun to use while on a deer stand.  You could use the 3 inch 20 with buckshot for running shots and the 35/30-30 should have plenty of umpf for any rifle shot you might make.  As you can tell, I have a hangup on combination guns.  Dad got me started with a drilling.  I really like the concept of the Savage 24s, but they are not the finest made gun, especially some of the late model ones I have seen.  With a little stock work and a trigger job, they are okay.  They are fun to play with but I agree the prices for the new ones are unrealistic.  

Can't wait to get that 35/30-30 back.....
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

buckshot roberts

;) Hey how you been Fortunate son, yes I had one of the model savage 24 in 22/20, it was used at the time  had it, My grand-dad gave it to me, it was the first gun I ever had, yep they are make'n a come back, and just a pit high as you said.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: