Foaming mouth hog

Started by Mark R, April 17, 2005, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark R

Had a post in Turkey Hunting. No luck barely heard a gobble. Anyway we had been to our place a month ago and my wife and grandbaby,he's 5,they went to the front feeder one evening and in came some pigs. So now she thinks the pigs come there most every evening. So as I wasn't having much luck with the turkeys, to humor her we went to the feeder Friday evening. She sat up in a little bow stand, about 30yds. away. Isat in an old chair shorts and T-shirt ,not expecting to see anything. Thenshe starts motioning to me something coming. Up comes a boar close to 200lbs. I thought it had unusualy white tusks but after I shot in the head with my .243. Wewent up to look at it and it had white foam around it's mouth. Could it have been something it ate. It didn't seem to be acting strangely, other than the fact  that I was sittting right there in the open but I've walked up on them before and if they'rre busy they don't pay much attention. Anyone have any ideas what his problem could have been. I don't no if they're big game cause out here they are pretty easy to kill but 200 is getting big for out here.

Mark
marktx

rockinbbar

Hogs will foam out the mouth when overheated. Either from high temperature, or from running or exerting itself somehow.

Just to be on the safe side, if the hog wasn't running, then I'd not gut, nor eat it. Could be advanced signs of rabies as well.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Gmoney

Yeah I've killed foaming hoga before as well.....they also foam alot when they pig out at a feeder....pun intended of course:)
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

John Galt

Anyone know what worms looks like?  I shot a hog that had these blackish brown things under the skin, not in the muscle or anything.  When I cut them open, they didn't have any identifiable structure or guts.  Are these those "cysts" people talk about being trichinosis?  If I cut out the growths, and cook (hardwood smoker) the heck out of the meat, is it safe?

How safe are wild hogs, relative to domestic swine?  I had one last week, smoked and stuffed w/ rice and sausage...the phrase "pork flavored candy" comes to mind...it was so good, must have been smoked in Crack....

rockinbbar

John,
How many of those cysts did you encounter?
Wild hogs aren't given any parasite remedy, of course, so as with even domestic hogs, always cook the pork completely done. No rare spots, & you should be OK.

The most common parasites are roundworms in the intestines, and liver flukes may be evident if you slice into the liver.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

RatherBHuntin

John,
  Could it be the same larvae we were discussing in this  http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87 post? Was it about an inch or so long, fat and wrinkled?

Here is a picture of the kind I have seen on rabbits in West Texas,

And the Michigan Dept of Wildlife page it came from, saying that the meat is safe
 http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26354--,00.html
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Mark R

He din't act strangely,justwalk in by himself like others I've killed in the past. I just drug him into a wash and the vulture were on him the next day.

Thanks
 Mark
marktx

John Galt

Quote from: rockinbbarJohn,
How many of those cysts did you encounter?
Wild hogs aren't given any parasite remedy, of course, so as with even domestic hogs, always cook the pork completely done. No rare spots, & you should be OK.

The most common parasites are roundworms in the intestines, and liver flukes may be evident if you slice into the liver.

Rockin'
Less than 6 among two hogs, but I was planning to really inspect the meat before I cooked it. The meat is now in my freezer; don't know if that will kill parasites.  

The worm looked like a brown maggot about 1 inch long and maybe 3/16 inch in diameter.  It was not embedded in the meat, but was inside the membrane that surrounds the muscle.  It looks like it was between the muscle and the skin.  

I stayed away from the organ meats on pork, though I like them in deer.  The meat looked/smelled good, and the animal looked pretty healthy (except for the 00 Buck in its side!).  I expected the fat to be that soft, nasty yellow fat they say comes in boars, but it looked just like lard from commercial swine..White, firm.

My instinct is (maybe wrong) that deer are a lot cleaner animals than pigs.  I like my venison plenty rare...I wonder how hazardous wild pigs are, compared to poultry?  Poultry is full of salmonella.

Gmoney

I always cook my wild hogs all the way done.....I cook them like a brisket....season, wrap in foil and forget about them......throw some mushrooms and onions an hour before taking them off......very good grub.....if I found some worms like that in my hog I'd definately cook it all the way.....if I'd even cook that that region of the hog at all......
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

John Galt

Quote from: GmoneyI always cook my wild hogs all the way done.....I cook them like a brisket....season, wrap in foil and forget about them......throw some mushrooms and onions an hour before taking them off......very good grub.....if I found some worms like that in my hog I'd definately cook it all the way.....if I'd even cook that that region of the hog at all......
Gonna take your advice and smoke some this weekend. I might let is sit uncovered for an hour to get the smoke flavor. I'll probably do a foreleg and ribs....

I bought a really neat bonesaw from Northern Tool.  It's about 25" across the blade, and that extra length makes it cut very smoothly.  It looks like a big hacksaw, but with more aggressive teeth and a more aggressive set so the blade doesn't bind.  

The larger of the two hogs, I cut across the ribcage at the solar plexus and at about the 4th lumbar vertebra...then split the ribcage across the spine and cut the ribcage verticaly about halfway up.  So I have a couple of plates of ribs and, after I frenched the ribs, some boar chops.  I discarded the bones, though when I do a deer, I usually roast and boil the bones into game stock.  Hate to waste anything...it's an insult to Diana.

Gmoney

Yeah I let my brisket cook for half an hour on each side before wrapping in foil as well....this sears the juices and a lot of the flavor in.....I'm getting hungry.....cooked right the meat will literally fall right off the bone....mmmmmm....
-Greg

gitano

Quote from: Mark Rthe front feeder one evening and in came some pigs. So now she thinks the pigs come there most every evening. So as I wasn't having much luck with the turkeys, to humor her we went to the feeder  
Mark
I suspect, strongly, that the pig was just anticipating the meal he had been getting "most every evening". This 'drooling' is commonly know as a "Pavlovian response", named after the animal behaviourist that demonstrated that he could get dogs to salivate (drool) simply by ringing a bell. He trained them to anticipate getting fed whenever they heard the bell. Thereafter, whenever they heard the bell, they drooled. Your pig was just anticipating his evening meal.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: