Deer 2017

Started by Hunterbug, October 22, 2017, 06:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

The girls and I had an amazing opening morning. We went to RJ's place as usual. Both of the girls wanted mature bucks. It was decided that Hunter got the first chance. We got to RJ's and we were working on breakfast when I looked out and spotted a few does and a small buck. Then bringing up the rear was a nice buck. I told Hunter to grab her gun and we headed out. I hadn't grabbed any binoculars so I couldn't judge him, I could just tell that he was decent. She fired and he dropped then got back up and started limping down hill. She fired again and he was down. We all headed up for pictures and to get to work. RJ went back to the house to get some stuff and I sent Payton back to eat. Then I ran back down to the house and RJ met me at the door. He had seen a buck that was at least as big as Hunter's. I told Pea to grab her gun and I grabbed mine and we headed out with RJ. Up the hill was another nice buck and several smaller ones. Payton got a steady rest and when she was ready she fired and he dropped. I picked out a fork buck and shot and he dropped. So we headed up to them. Payton's was right where he stood. Mine had gone a short ways but was dead. Now we really had our work cut out. I went back and helped Hunter finish dressing hers. Payton came over and the girls drug him down to the barn. Then we went and dressed ours and drug them down and around to the barn. After that, we finally got to eat. After breakfast we skinned them and got them hung up. I can't thank RJ enough for his hospitality and helping us make these memories.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Here's me with my buck. Of course once I filled my tag, this guy showed up. Oh well. The important thing was for the girls to get nice deer.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Wow! Great morning!

Nice deer! Congratulations to everyone, and special thanks to RJ for letting it happen!

And everyone was shooting WHAT? I can't believe I have to ask!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitanoAnd everyone was shooting WHAT? I can't believe I have to ask!

Paul

:greentongue: Hunter was shooting her Westernfield 30-06 loaded with 165gr SierraKings over 55gr of IMR4350. I was shooting my Pre 64 Model 70 30-06 with the same load. Payton was shooting her 270 that I have posted about with factory Federal 130gr.

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

It warms my heart at these kinds of posts.....the youngsters especially. Life is short on spaceship Earth and as we age, the kids become the focal point...well done my friends!

gitano

Yup!

The opportunity is a BIG part!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Karl ( Jackalope ) and I headed out to the Kremling ,Colo. area. Both
of us scored on the second day. We were both on doe tags which was a good thing seeings how we only saw one buck in the two days. He was in fact a monster, with lots of ` oportunities' for a healthy buck life. Does everywhere........

As Hunter said.......... " they don`t get big by being stupid. " :laugh:

I got mine high on the hill........ about 9,600 ft. Spotted her at 385 yards and stalked to 138 yards. She never knew I was there. Steadied myself on a rocky out crop, and fired. She ran uphill for 30 yards and dropped like a rock.

A very tough haul out. Drag ten yards and `recover`. Drag ten yards and recover. Thankfully Karl met me towards the bottom and helped finish the recovery. It was a two hour drag out. Karl is now known as `Sherpa`. :grin: He was lucky to get his doe near the road. My doe weighed out at 85# dressed. Nice to get together with Pat and the girls and do a bit of celebrating.

Oh , yeah............ .308 Tika T3 lite , 150 grn, 48 grns of 4064, Sierra Game King. Karl also with his .308 . Hunterbug my have some photos........... some day I will learn to post pix. :no:

Hunterbug

Here are the pictures from JaDub. Of course Karl has no pictures.

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

No Leadslingers in Missouri yet but it's in Kansas. Eric checking on it today. We need some for deer season! Made by a bunch of combat veterans too!

branxhunter

Quote from: Hunterbug;149318The girls and I had an amazing opening morning. We went to RJ's place as usual. Both of the girls wanted mature bucks. It was decided that Hunter got the first chance. We got to RJ's and we were working on breakfast when I looked out and spotted a few does and a small buck. Then bringing up the rear was a nice buck. I told Hunter to grab her gun and we headed out. I hadn't grabbed any binoculars so I couldn't judge him, I could just tell that he was decent. She fired and he dropped then got back up and started limping down hill. She fired again and he was down. We all headed up for pictures and to get to work. RJ went back to the house to get some stuff and I sent Payton back to eat. Then I ran back down to the house and RJ met me at the door. He had seen a buck that was at least as big as Hunter's. I told Pea to grab her gun and I grabbed mine and we headed out with RJ. Up the hill was another nice buck and several smaller ones. Payton got a steady rest anqd when she was ready she fired and he dropped. I picked out a fork buck and shot and he dropped. So we headed up to them. Payton's was right where he stood. Mine had gone a short ways but was dead. Now we really had our work cut out. I went back and helped Hunter finish dressing hers. Payton came over and the girls drug him down to the barn. Then we went and dressed ours and drug them down and around to the barn. After that, we finally got to eat. After breakfast we skinned them and got them hung up. I can't thank RJ enough for his hospitality and helping us make these memories.

Fantastic HB! Good to see you all got amongst them. What were the tools you all used?

Marcus

Hunterbug

Quote from: sakorickNo Leadslingers in Missouri yet but it's in Kansas. Eric checking on it today. We need some for deer season! Made by a bunch of combat veterans too!

It's good bourbon, real smooth. I won't tell you how many bottles I've drank lest you think I'm a lush. ;) If Eric can't find it, I'll see about getting some to you.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Quote from: branxhunterFantastic HB! Good to see you all got amongst them. What were the tools you all used?

Marcus

Hunter used her Western Field 30-06 which is a commercial Mauser, loaded with a 165gr Sierra Gameking and 55gr of IMR-4350. I used my Pre '64 Model 70 30-06 with the same load. Payton shot her custom 270 that I have posted about here loaded with Federal factory 130gr.

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;149337It's good bourbon, real smooth. I won't tell you how many bottles I've drank lest you think I'm a lush. ;) If Eric can't find it, I'll see about getting some to you.
I'll let you know. Long range forecast says colder and Paul and I need to keep warm and I could probably use some aimin' oil!

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;149338Hunter used her Western Field 30-06 which is a commercial Mauser, loaded with a 165gr Sierra Gameking and 55gr of IMR-4350. I used my Pre '64 Model 70 30-06 with the same load. Payton shot her custom 270 that I have posted about here loaded with Federal factory 130gr.

That Western Field is a FN Mauser....At least they were back in the 60's. I messed with Dwain's W.F. he purchased new in Boulder in 1964 for 20 bucks! I put a bold trigger, a FN shroud and a new Burris Fullfield II on it for him.....ir's still a tack driver.

Tags: