Deer Numbers Down

Started by recoil junky, July 24, 2017, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I'm not sure of the cause, but deer numbers on RJ's Deer Ranch seem to be down. I've only seen one set of twins hanging around with 8 - 10 does and a couple 2 points.  I usually see a bunch more by now. Maybe they are too hot, maybe not enough feed. I don't know, but I'm going to fill a water tank for the ones that are here in hopes word spreads that there's free water for all.

There is one dandy (in velvet) buck hanging around across the road where HB got his last year and he happens to be shading up in the same bed used by "Brutus" :jumpingsmiley: I will try and get a picture better than the one I sent HB and Bug.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hunterbug

Hopefully more show up. Bug has a buck tag and Pea and I have PLO tags for either one. The girls both want bucks and I don't care.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Quote from: Hunterbug;148429The girls both want bucks and I don't care.

Yeah RIGHT!!!

Here's the fawns playing by the drain field:

HB, do you or Bug still have the picture of "Bug's" deer I sent you? If so can you post it here so "everyone" can see?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Yeah RIGHT!!!

Correct response!:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

If there be does around there will be Bucks at rut time and that's a fact!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

There be bucks!! This 'un we will call  "Bug's Buck" :antlers: and HB's doe because he doesn't care what he shoots. One for gGrampa Dale too!!!

and a couple more  two and three points.

RJ

Elkhamr

Hello all, perfect timing for this topic. RJ and I have been talking for about a month about how we were seeing a bunch of does but no fawns yet. Then on July 4th, the first set of fawns appeared with a doe that hangs out in my yard all day. After that for about 2 weeks there were about 7 does and all had fawns with 2 of the does having twins. Since then I've been seeing the does daily but have not seen a fawn in at least a week. All the same does are in my yard everyday but what would they have done with their fawns? This is not normal as I watch them every year and normally once the fawns,are strong enough to walk, they are with the does constantly laying in my yard. I've walked around the field across from my house and have found no fawns laying in the deep grass or signs of predation. It's a complete mystery to me!

sakorick

Not to worry.....she's got them hid close by and goes out to eat then goes back to nurse them. They still have spots right?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Elkhamr

Yes they still have spots and were nursing right in the middle of the street last time I saw them. It's been awhile and I was curious why they would bring them out for a few dats then hide them again? In the past, once they were out they stayed out playing and romping around in my yard. They were chasing eachother like puppies last year around my neighbors old run down car.

gitano

I think that's a "bad sign". Once the fawns start showing up with the doe, they usually don't hide much after that. They are only 'odorless' for a few days, and "hiding" when your predator can smell you is a "bad plan". Once they get their 'deer smell', "hiding" isn't a viable anti-predation option. As for the spots, white-tail fawns keep those into the fall. I don't know about mulie fawns.

I suspect coyotes got 'em. Predators can do A LOT of damage to young ungulate populations. In Alaska, brown bears can take 100% of the dall sheep lamb production in a given locale. When black bear populations are up, they can take 80 to 90 percent of the moose calf production. One coyote can make a BIG dent in local fawn numbers.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Elkhamr

I live in a residential area so there's no predators like coyotes, fox, lions etc. Every other year once the fawns were out they stayed out. They're all mule deer too so they're really domesticated to living in town. I can see the does still have full milksacks too so I'm hoping that's a sign the fawns are still suckling. Maybe they've turned them nocturnal for some reason? Possibly the heat is keeping them down during most daylight hours? I sure hope it's something like that because the mule deer here are really struggling. Mismanagement is mostly to blame but getting the FW&P to admit that will never happen.

recoil junky

Sackwatches . . . . . . . has t be. Good thing I have my 35 Whelen loaded for sackwatches.

It's a conundrum is what it is. I've NEVER EVER not seen does and fawns literally running amok at this time of year. I have had them in the yard for Pete's sake. IN THE YARD and Paul you know how big my yard is!!! Even on the irrigated alfalfa on the way to town there are very few fawns and way fewer deer in general than normal.

I wonder, could it be something like distemper? Maybe chronic wasting disease but that would be in the paper maybe, but like Hamr said the CDOW wouldn't admit to that either. Just sell more tags .. . . . . . . . . Antelope fawns are non-existent as well. Plenty of those maggots, just no fawns.

:end:

RJ

gitano

Let's hope they show up in droves when the weather cools.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Elkhamr

I sure hope so because there were 7 does and 9 fawns all romping around in the small empty lot across from my house 50 yards away. Now it's just big fat old does grazing most of the day. RJ might be on to something with the Bigfoots running around...better load up a big gun and keep watch in case one comes after my little kitty cat.

Elkhamr

Has anyone been out knocking around checking out elk calf numbers this spring? I have not, and have not seen the big herd of cows that valve out close to town on a closed section of FW&P ground. They moved off early because of wolves I suspect and I wasent able to track then again.

Tags: